• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Would I Be Setting A Bad Example?

Guest ChrisRydia

Guest ChrisRydia

If this is in the wrong area, please move this.

Ok, my sister is pregnant. She is due in June I think. Anywho, the baby is going to see me as a guy. Later on, it's going to see me as something else. I know babies won't remember much, but there is a small % it would remember. Would that affect the baby in some shape or form? This has been on my mind for awhile. (I would be an uncle, later in life I would be an Aunt). This is bugging me. Any ideas?

Rydia

Guest sarah f

I feel the same way with my kids. You just have to remember that you are doing this for your own happiness. They are going to be young and ask a lot of questions on why you did this but just answer them honestly and they will get over it.

Love,

Sarah F

Keep in mind that children are far more accepting and adaptable than adults generally are.

I highly doubt that you would scar the baby. If anything, you would imbue him or her with the idea that gender variance is acceptable, and thus make him or her a better person!

Or I'm an optimist :P

I would like to think that in this coming generation a lot of the old prejudices will be abandoned and the child will just accept

the Uncle/Aunt for the person that they are, kind and loving and not for anything superficial like appearances.

Children sense emotions more than actual appearance they learn from their parents who to like or dislike.

If your sister is OK with you, the child will be too.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Vivian

I'm kind of in a simular situation with my niece. She is two years old and I visited this past Thanksgiving. I haven't came out to my sister yet and showed up in male mode. Anyway, the entire time I was there my Sis would point at me and tell my Niece, "uncle". I couldn't help but grin just a little everytime she did that.. In private I discussed this with my brother, who I came out to already, and decided we will cross that bridge whenever I decide to cross it. We kind of laughed and shook our heads about the whole situation.

Love,

Vivian

Guest ChrisRydia

Thanks for your replies. My sister has known about this for awhile. She is ok with this. I don't think I would be seeing the baby much, but the baby will be sensing emotions going up and down. I will cross that road in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cjnoble71

Kids are pretty adaptable. I was surprised by how easily my brother's youngest accepted "Uncle Bubba" (long story) becoming "Aunt Tina" but he did. My sister's girls have never known me as anything but Aunt Tina and her sixteen year old boy is the nicest, most accepting person you could ever meet. As to you situation, Chris, since you are out with your sister I would include her in any discussion about this. Ultimately it is still your call but it affects her too.

Pax et Amor;

Christine

Guest JD_Divine

Ive been thinking about this sort of topic. I am terrified that my lil daughter will be brainwashed by her father when I fully transition... they already think I am lesbian (Im not) and tell her that Im ugly and stupid because I kiss girls and that its wrong... can hardly imagine the magnitude of how its going to effect her later in life. Probably the main reason Im scared to transition...

~JD

Guest ChloëC

For your part, when the times come, just interact with the child as much as possible, and really smile and laugh a lot. Read to it as it gets older, do little playthings. For example, my grandfather used to do this with me and I did it with all 3 children - put them on your knee and recite the 'Trot Little Horsie' poem, dropping your knee at the appropriate moment. Every child I've done that loves it and wants it again (including my grandchildren at the right age). What they will remember is the fun times with Uncle or Aunt or whoever, and that's the best.

Hugs

Chloë

I am MtF and my SO is FtM, we frequently have a friends daughter for the weekend, she is 2 years old and only knows me as Paula and my SO as Jayden, she is too young to understand what transgender means and is only interested in watching cartoons, interaction with us and getting into trouble, they do not call them the terrible 2's for nothing.

Paula

Guest ~Brenda~

Don't worry ChrisR the child will be perfectly fine. You will be amazed. Depending upon age, the child may not even really notice nor remember when you were not Aunty :) Your sister should understand this too :)

Brenda

Guest CharlieRose

It won't affect them at all. Kids (and by which I mean children like 10 and younger) have a knack for telling your real gender, to the point where it's actually more confusing for them for you to *not* transition. :P And a baby? The baby probably won't really "know" you for like a year, and they won't know your gender for until they're like two or three. Even then, kids that age think that gender can be easily switched back and forth, so if you switch back and forth it won't confuse them at all. :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 108 Guests (See full list)

• Siobhan F
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • Ivy
    • Thea
    • cela_tracy
    • KymmieL
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

AmandaJoy
    Newest Member
    AmandaJoy

1. Alexa Amorosa
      Alexa Amorosa
      (48 years old)
    2. Bluestem
      Bluestem
      (39 years old)
    3. CharlotteSW
      CharlotteSW
      (26 years old)
    4. Daisy91
      Daisy91
    5. jriddle1990
      jriddle1990
      (30 years old)
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I'm not sure the past is a sure guide to future needs.  LGB have no dog in the fight on public restrooms, for example.  That is T only, and only some T at that. 
    • Betty K
      When I appear on the radio and podcast it will be in discussion with a political scientist who will discuss those aspects. I’m focussed on the implications for kids and why the recommendations are flawed. But yes, I will probably briefly paint the political background.
    • Davie
      GFY, @Betty K. Don't forget to write about the motivations for the Cass Report, and who paid for its conclusions. "Cass Met With DeSantis Pick Over Trans Ban: Her Review Now Targets England Trans Care." — Erin Reed  And now its back to America, 'surprise, surprise.'
    • Vidanjali
      Hi @Sol. Great to hear from you and your updates are all encouraging. Wonderful all the support you're now getting from your family and to hear you sounding so positive and hopeful. Career as an archivist sounds like a great path - sensible and not too specific, but endlessly fascinating at the same time. Not only do museums employ archivists, but so do many other institutions such as historical societies and universities. Your university may have its own archives which you could visit and learn about. Take care & be well! 
    • AmandaJoy
      Hi @KathyLauren no worries!   I’ve only ever gotten a two-year degree in programming, and that one was just because I existed in the U.S. Air Force as a coder long enough to qualify for all of the technical credits, then I just took CLEP and DANTES tests to get the rest.   Most of my work has been in the security arena, lots of C/C++. Worked as a Red Hat hacker for a few years, and spent a few more years in gov’t spaces.
    • KathyLauren
      Hi, Amanda.  Your story sounds quite familiar, though my pesky body part didn't need the attention of a urologist.  You are in good company here!
    • KathyLauren
      Oops.  Sorry, @AmandaJoy, I see you have already posted an introduction. 
    • KathyLauren
      Hi, @AmandaJoy.  Welcome to Trans Pulse.  Be sure to check out the various forums and join in any threads that interest you.  We'd love to read all about you in the Introductions forum.   -----   I started programming in Dartmouth Basic in high school back in the early 1970s.  I did my degree in Computer Science.  After a brief stint in the "government flying club" (RCAF), I worked as a programmer-analyst and systems analyst for about 25 years.    I am retired now, but I still enjoy programming.  I write a lot of the code for my astrophotography observatory.    
    • Sol
      WOW HAS IT BEEN A WHILE SINCE I'VE UPDATED!!! Welp, I'm updating now, and it's been a lot of changes.  1. My mom is starting to come around a little (I think). She does refer to me more as her child now, and even offered to help me cut my hair so I think we're making a little progress. I'm still planning on going on T later and I'm gonna start saving up to buy trans tape (I can't wear binders because I have GERD), so hopefully the progress stays. My dad, sibling, friends, and my paternal grandparents have all been super supportive and I'm really lucky for that. My sibling also goes out of their way to introduce me as their brother and it makes me so happy :D 2. I've been socializing a lot more! Mostly on Discord, but I've made some new friends and I'm really happy about that!  3. I'm on birth control! I still need to go to the gyno but my GP got me on the depo shot and it's been working for me so far! My dysphoria has gone through a lot of ups and downs, especially around periods, but that source is pretty much gone now and I feel way better. I do have more dysphoria centered around my chest now but that's pretty easily fixed with baggy shirts most of the time.  4. I know 100% now that I'm hoping for a uterine ablation (cauterizing the uterine tissue so it doesn't grow) at some point in the future and it's likely something I'll have to save up for but from my research it's a lot less invasive and safer than a hysterectomy so I definitely recommend it if people are able to access it. I also know that after that, I want to save up for a reduction to combat the chest dysphoria, and I still like having it sometimes so I'll keep a bit of it (I'm shooting for an A cup, I'm a C cup currently).  5. I've been writing more and I've even got some ideas for art projects! I also got an Archive of Our Own account where I post my finished writing, and I'm starting a book project at my mom's urging (she said she wanted that as her Christmas present so I'm gonna try, might not get it done this year though). I haven't gotten to write much lately but I'm hoping to change that this month.  And finally, 6. I'm gonna be a college junior and I have a career path to pursue! I'm gonna be an archivist, hopefully working for a museum (not too specific on where, I just like museums).  So yeah, a lot of stuff has happened and it's been pretty good! 
    • AmandaJoy
      Hi Thea!   Professional coder since ‘90, hobbyist since ‘83. C/C++, C#, Java, Ruby, Python, Ada, COBOL, Fortran, various flavors of BASIC. Love C, but it’s mostly been about Python recently.
    • Ivy
      Welcome Amanda
    • Ivy
    • Ivy
      Welcome Justine
    • Cynthia Slowan
      Welcome Amanda!! 💗 Cynthia 
    • Vidanjali
      Hello & welcome, Ash!
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.