• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finding Clothes For The Largeness Impaired

Guest Neuro

In other words, how the heck does a guy 5'7 and 100lbs find clothes that don't fall down his waist, or make him look like he's drowning in fabric?

I'm 19, So I'd like to try wearing more mature things, I am trying to get a job and such. But I don't have much weight or muscle or anything, and here in Texas where "EVERYTHING'S BIGGER" and guys tend to be football-player in stature... Things like pants always run baggy. Great for a rapper. Not a scrawny little white guy who thinks snagging as many free samples as he can in the mall foodcourt is a sport.

Are there certain kinds of stores that cater to those not blessed with the gift of height and girth? (yet?) I know Hot Topic sort of does... but I'm not really that kinda crowd XD; and their stuff falls apart from what I've heard. Do you have to sacrifice a lot of money to get pants that fit decently, when you are... height challenged?

I know stores like that are out there. My Japanese teacher is pocket-sized, as in like 4'11----but he has amazing clothes.

P-PLEASE DON'T TELL ME I HAVE TO GO TO JAPAN TO FIND PANTS THAT ARE LUCKY AND MAGICAL.

• Admin

Neuro, I have never been a member of the ginormous society either, so here are a couple of suggestions.

1. If you city has a Little Tokyo or Chinatown, it probably has a men's store that caters to the Asian population and they'll have something closer to your size.

However, they're likely to be expensive.

2. Get department store shirts but make sure they're the fitted style.

3. Catalogs can be useful, but sometimes you have to send stuff back. Paul Frederick has quality stuff and fitted dress shirts with 30 inch sleeves. They also

have frequent sales.

4. Some of the larger men's stores, usually in your city's garment district or downtown, will carry short or extra short sizes, and pants can be altered easily.

I've never been able to wear anything off the rack so for me its SOP to get them altered.

Hope this helps.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Kitsunenene

Online is your friend :]

A lot of times if you order over like 50 you get free shipping as well?

as for stores that cater to the smaller statured?

hmm

American Apparel makes great clothes that last forever. While it might be moderately expensive I find the durability to be worth it.

If you're having trouble with jeans most of my friends really like the Levi's 511(Skinny) and 510(super skinny) styles

511 is more of just a slimmer fitting straight leg pants and they come in a variety of fabrics (jeans, dress slacks, corduroy)

I hope this is slightly helpful.

Hey Neuro,

I am 5;7 and have never found it difficult to get clothes.

Its you weight is where you have a problem hun-imo. You will need

to bulk out , good food and and get to throwing that iron around the

gym,,,6 months of that and you will look cool , really five foot seven

aint short , get pumpin and you will be fine hun, luv,viv :)

Hmmmm... I never thought about the internet. Always worried it might come the wrong size!

I've Seen AA in the mall, and while they're no WalMart, I think quality clothes that last a while should be worth a few extra bucks, right?

On the subject of brands, there are 2 popular stores in my area my mother forbids me from entering because they seem expensive. American Eagle, Hollister, and Abercrombie and Fitch. Yeah, I'm sort of a prep. Otaku-prep. Vaguely. But they seem like they go for the 6'2 180lb guy or whatever the heck is considered 'average' XD

Guest Steven22

Dickies also makes a slimfit straight leg pants, althought i am fairly below avg, they are a little snug on me still. Most department stores have em.

Guest Nikki A

all the guys i know who wear non-loose around there ankle pants wear womens pants. so that is no help!

buy a belt maybe? or... idk what else. i never look at mens clothes really. which brings up the question: why did i think i could help you? DX im over zealously helpful!! best of luck

hugs, Nikki

Guest insanitylives
In other words, how the heck does a guy 5'7 and 100lb find clothes that don't fall down his waist, or make him look like he's drowning in fabric?

Do you have to sacrifice a lot of money to get pants that fit decently, when you are... height challenged?

Dude, you're not height challenged, you're weight challenged.

Look for skinny jeans is all I can think of.

I really dk where you've been and what you've already tried so far, but my suggestions are GAP, and getting stuff altered. GAP already has some smaller sizes (atleast where I am), and if your local GAPs don't stock smaller sizes, you could always try a couple things on to get a ballpark range and then ask to get measured up for their sizes, so when you order from their online shop, it'll be sure to fit. But then again, if you're smaller than 28W or 28L, then you're pretty SOL at GAP too. I think American Eagle goes down to 26W/28L, but their selection isn't nearly as nice as GAP's and it not really that dressy.

The other option would be to get as close as you can get at the store and then having the pants altered for you. This will make the clothes overall more expensive, but hey, it'll fit, right? I was sorta lucky as a guy, since I was too small for most stores, but usually could find stuff that fits at the GAP and AE stores, but I'm really average as a girl, so clothes are never a problem!

Guest Thorndrop

Dude, you're two inches off my height and we're the same weight, so I have the same problem. You're not short though. I'm 5'5" and just buy jeans with a shorter leg length (usually, the small waist sizes are only available in short leg lengths, which can be akward). A few shops will do a 28-inch waist but rarely any smaller, so I just either buy a 28 and use a belt or pray that a certain style of jeans runs smaller than usual.. Tshirts aren't too hard. Just get XS or 'slim fit' ones - seems to work ok for me. Dunno if they have those sizes in the US though, but a couple of shops here do, so I can't see them not existing there, even if they're not in the 'big football player' style shops. ;)

Oh, and I just thought of this, maybe you can give it a try... you could always try digging through the boys section, sometimes there are so decent, grown-up looking styles in smaller than adult sizes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JeanVier

Neuro:

Thanks for starting this thread. I am 5'10" and about 107 pounds, so I struggle with finding clothes for the *cough* "largeness impaired" guy (love the term).

First, check out Hudson's guide for smaller (trans)men at http://www.ftmguide.org/shortmensclothes.html. GREAT links and tips, moving from clothes to hairstyles and even ties on other pages. Also, I have found Target to carry smaller size small tops in the men's department. Not always, but very very often. Old Navy's size small is also on the smaller end of small (gah! if only I was more of a rectangle!), and they have men's jeans starting at 28in waist.

Good luck, and report back if you find something fabulous!

-JV