• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Can One Be A Muscular Woman After Hrt? :)

Guest DisDwarf

Guest DisDwarf

I'm female in male body, living as genderqueer male for the moment while I'm assessing the transition process (well, no money for it anyway).

I've heard HRT causes you to lose your male muscular power. Is there anyway to get HRT without losing your muscle power?

Now, I've an ambidavent relationship to my muscles: I'm obese and untrained so the few muscles I have are not visible (I'd probably feel more dysphoric if I had visible muscles). However, muscles are useful to have in case you need to defend yourself (transphobia and homophobia are everywhere, and while I'm not into men I look like gay because of my clothing or mannerisms sometimes, if I don't counter-balance with my fake male persona).

I'm probably more in the tomboyish range of womanhood because I like to think of myself as a very dynamic, independent, powerful feminist woman, yet beautiful and delicate. Had I had a female body, I'm sure I'd train to have muscles, not to the point bodybuilders have, but enough to actually defend myself in case some crazy man attacks me. After all there are many GGs who train and have lots of muscles as well.

So, while now I tend to think of muscles as something negative because I've a male body, in case I get a female body I'll probably be very willing to develop and maintain lots of muscles. But since because of my male body I already have muscles (whether I want them or not), I feel it would be strange to lose them due to HRT and then have to train a lot in order to regain some of them. Can one have HRT and muscles as well?

Guest ~Brenda~

Hey Dis,

Now hon, I assume that your primary concern is in your upper body strength. You can maintain any level of upper body strength that you wish via upper body exercises. I would not worry about that. I would recommend that before undergoing HRT that you first attain your ideal weight ofr your body size and assess your strength then. Based on what you learn after your are lean, you can adjust your arm strength to your liking.

Additionally, I would talk to your doctor about HRT and muscle strength to get advice about your concerns.

I would not worry hon. Remember, everything is in your control. No one is ever going to make you do anything that you feel uncomfortable with transitioning :)

Love

Brenda

Guest Jo-I-Dunno

This isn't just a problem for transsexuals. It's a problem for women in general. It's not like hormone therapy stops you from being muscular. Having a woman's body just makes it harder. But you'll have just as much a chance at being muscular as any woman. It's not impossible, just harder than when you have a male body.