• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

'tyra' Show Featuring Transgendered Children

Guest Neuro

I was watching the CW channel today (previously the WB for we who remember those days~), and saw a commercial the talk show 'TYRA' (y'know, Tyra Banks?) will have a show on Wednesday (tomorrow, at my post time) about a little boy who wants to be a girl, and a little girl who wants to be a boy. And if they are transgender, how their parents handle it, etc.

I don't really watch those talk shows, but I am curious and a bit worried to see what this one will be like D: if it will touch real issues, or just exploit these poor kids. So I hope I can catch it in time, to see what happens.

Anyone have any insight? Worries? Will watch, or no?

Because I know it's normal for little kids to 'pretend' to be different things and people, but I also know that when I played I was a boy I was not playing. So I am kind of worried for the children featured, if they are feeling the same pain so many of us are.

Guest Chris_421
I was watching the CW channel today (previously the WB for we who remember those days~), and saw a commercial the talk show 'TYRA' (y'know, Tyra Banks?) will have a show on Wednesday (tomorrow, at my post time) about a little boy who wants to be a girl, and a little girl who wants to be a boy. And if they are transgender, how their parents handle it, etc.

I don't really watch those talk shows, but I am curious and a bit worried to see what this one will be like D: if it will touch real issues, or just exploit these poor kids. So I hope I can catch it in time, to see what happens.

Anyone have any insight? Worries? Will watch, or no?

Because I know it's normal for little kids to 'pretend' to be different things and people, but I also know that when I played I was a boy I was not playing. So I am kind of worried for the children featured, if they are feeling the same pain so many of us are.

Tyra has done other episodes featuring transgendered guests I think, and she even hooked up their transgender contestant on ANTM with SRS surgery. It could all be for looking good and good publicity, but still she seems quite respectful.

There was a Tyra episode before about trans people. She brought on Isis, who is a transwoman who appeared on America's Next Top Model, as well as some other transwomen. It was handled very well, and stayed away from ridiculous sensationalism and things of that ilk.

Tyra is a good person. I doubt the issue will be handled poorly.

Tyra has been an advocate for trans and gays for a long time now - it should be handled well - I hope so!

Love ya,

Sally

I'll be sure to post my opinion, and possibly a link to a video. Feel free to post your opinions as well! I am glad she is a GLBT rights advocate, hopefully this means that some good may come of this.

Hi Everyone,

<< curtsey >>

I don't watch much TV. There is not much on that interests me . We cannot get Cable, Too far from the City. No Satellite, Too low in the sky, and too many trees. A blessing in a way. It would just be another bill to pay, and a magnet for my time. We do get five local channels over the airwaves for free. There is one daytime show that I really enjoy and all ways try to make time for. It is the Tyra Banks Show.

She is an honest and true champion of women. Yes all women. I have even seen shows where has honored transgendered girls like myself. I have learned so much from her about what it is to be a woman: the problems, joys, tips for in betterment, self esteem, self acceptance, and oh so much more. She always tries to portray things in a very positive way, and I was not surprised to learn that her show is one of the most popular shows on TV.

I think that she is one of the most beautiful people on the planet.

A true beacon of light.

I love her,

:wub: vanna

Wooooow.

I saw the special, and I was amazed. All I knew about Tyra Banks was that she has some funny moments on 'The Soup,' but that was a really good show.

She seems to empathize well with the guests, and even when that one Pastor came on telling parents to 'just raise them as their birth sex,' she kept sticking up for the kids.

The guests were all brilliant, as well. A little girl, a little boy, and a few adults sharing their experiences, how surgeries and hormones helped them, how you should pay attention to your children when they are clearly suffering. Not every girl or boy who plays with dolls VS. trucks as a kid grows up to be transgender... but with the people on the show, it was very clear from their stories that a large percentage do not 'grow out of it.'

My favorite bit: the little girl shrugging off her penis as a 'birth defect.' What she had to deal with was unbelievable! Her whole school petitioning to ban her from campus, and children beating her to the ground. So brave!!!

If only all parents were as supportive as theirs. It's not always a phase, or play.

A really good show, I'm glad I caught it. c: gave me lots of hope to see how amazing the guys on there looked--you could not tell who was and was not trans if you lined them all up, the men and women on the episode looked so great it was inspiring! Transitioning seems worth it when you see such success.

Guest Jean Davis

Well I thought that the show was wonderful, the only thing that was missed was to explain that the parents took their childern to a therapist before allowing them to dress out in public. I read through a bunch of the comments and many were negative, so I posted this. Unfortunately the last part of the post was cut off of their page, but I got it for here.

Dear Tyra Thank you so very much for producing this program, it is refreshing to see that some parents are getting the correct help for their childern and not ignoring the problem. I just wish that you would have explained a little about the therapy these childern are getting or if they are not seeing a therapist that they should. I think that many here that are complaining think that the parents just decided to dress their childern as the opposite gender without getting any professional help for their child. That in itself would not be a wise choice but I'm sure that all the parents have seen a therapist with their childern.

Personally, I think that it is a wonderful thing these parents are doing for their childern. Being transgendered myself and just starting my journey at the age of 39 I know how much damage will be done if this problem is ignored. I often wonder when I hear family members talk poorly about transgendered relation whether they love the person or the gender they are. As the body is just housing for the person (soul) and if the person can not live with the outer appearance of the body they can't move so they must change the appearance. Much as if we would force many of the people commenting here to live in a old mobil home in a trailer park, it would hurt their self image, self esteem and pride. They would find that life would be much harder than what they have now.

Also I personally feel that the professor/minister needs to educate himself on this matter. There is no more a way to change transgenderism than there is a way to stop your hair from growing by just thinking about it. After 30+ years of fighting with myself and trying to become my birth gender I have gotten no where in life but tired of breathing. No S/O, no kids, no career, no real reason to continue but one. I now help on a transgender support site for teens, being able to help our younger generation has given me hope. I wish that I would have had the information and support when I was young but didn't, it make me feel good that I can help others.

LUV

Jean

Read more: http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/2010/01/wed...s#ixzz0dre7NObn

Guest ocsurfer999

I agree that the parents should have mentioned the therapy issue on the show. As for the minister this is his idea of how to "cure" us :banghead: He was a jerk and would not let anyone talk.

I agree that the parents should have mentioned the therapy issue on the show. As for the minister this is his idea of how to "cure" us :banghead: He was a jerk and would not let anyone talk.

That is the 'debating tactic' employed by anyone who knows that their position is totally without any shred of supporting evidence.

Your point can be driven home by shouting over everyone loud enough that no one can hear the others pointing out the flaws and knocking all of the supports out form under them.

Love ya,

Sally

I watched the clips from the link Bluelake posted and loved it. I showed my bf and told him I was giggling and he didn't get why. He's all "How's this funny?" and I'm like "It's not 'funny'... The little girl is just so cute! And I lol'd at the guy's hairy leg and..." and he's like "...I don't get it" XD

Oh well! Different senses of humor I guess rofl.

Guest Joanna Phipps

The more I read comments about that show, its the same old, same old all over again. The comments are split along idealogical lines with the "Christians" trottin out the same well worn arguements we have heard over and over. They have no effect on me any more except to illicit pitty for the poor soul who cannot see beyond the end of their nose

Those in the middle who take the, um Im not sure but wont comdemn it attitude

Then the LGBT and allied posters who thank her and explain parts of our own stories

Honestly though, why bring Dr. Zucker in from CAMH, when the APA has denounced reparative therapy as useless and potentially harmfull all he could do is cloud the issue and confuse the audience. With Blanchard and Zucker on the DSM 5 sexual disorders committee and Zucker chairing it, watch us get it in the left ear.