• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Health Insurance

Guest Tammy Maher

Guest Tammy Maher

Oh yes those companies generally like to not cover much for us. BUT I am so glad to have at my campus's pride center, the coordinator used to work for the UC system, but now is with the CSU system. Yeah big difference in the sound of the names or systems, but there is a giant difference.

The point is working for the UC system is EPICness for trans people like us

Transgender Health Care policies

They offer trans workers (what to me seems at least) a big amount if not full coverage for HRT AND SRS!!!!!!

Who else thinks that is awesome?

• Admin

Wow, Janelle, that is the very first American health insurance company I've heard of that offers coverage for transition. That is amazing!

You are one lucky girl, Janelle. I think you just made a whole bunch of folks very envious!

Carolyn Marie

Guest harvester52

I have Kaiser, and they cover HRT, but not surgery. I don't know if other plans of theirs cover HRT, but mine does and I'm SO THANKFUL for it! I have an appointment next week with an endo. HRT is in my near future!

Guest Katrina_Carter

Congratulations on finding insurance like that. It's rough, I've spent the last 2 days trying to find some. In Michigan the only one who will insure me wants 289 dollars a month so far. That is of course with prescription coverage and doctor visits, but as an individual plan (no coverage at work, state won't cover me because I am single, no kids, and male *ugh*) no one covers therapists. Cheaper plans you have to pay the deductible before they start covering prescriptions and doctor visits, the lowest being 1000 dollars up to 5000.

If the feds want everyone covered by health care then they need to start helping us with it and stop discriminating against unmarried, childless, and genetic males.

I need to ask, is that group only in California or are they nationwide?

Guest praisedbeherhooves
Oh yes those companies generally like to not cover much for us. BUT I am so glad to have at my campus's pride center, the coordinator used to work for the UC system, but now is with the CSU system. Yeah big difference in the sound of the names or systems, but there is a giant difference.

The point is working for the UC system is EPICness for trans people like us

Transgender Health Care policies

They offer trans workers (what to me seems at least) a big amount if not full coverage for HRT AND SRS!!!!!!

Who else thinks that is awesome?

That is absolutely amazing! It is revolutionary! This is so awesome! I mean, it's so unlikely and so rare! I actually might now go to the University of California just for that reason.

Guest NatashaJade

Wow! That's amazing. And it makes me a little sad. I used to have UC coverage and for awhile after I graduated, I kept my family and I on the UC plan and it was great insurance for an amazing price. I wonder if I can buy back into it :)

Thanks for sharing!!!

luv

Gin

Guest Michele H

Blue Cross of Minnesota covers SRS if you have a fully insured commerical plan. Many large companies are self insuring and the insurance company provides administration. For self insured companies, the coverage is determined by the company, not the insurance company. So if considering a job in MN, if they say they have BCBSMN insurance, need to ask if they are self insured or not. Commercial is also a key word. Public and Government plans are essentially self insured. Also goverage for vets and active duty is outside of "commercial".