• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Celebrity Of Our Own

Guest Ryles_D

Guest Ryles_D

Most of the celebrities we see involving gender are MtF or FtM. Here's one for the non-binaries among us:

“All my life, I’ve been fighting never belonging, never being male or female, and it got to the stage where I couldn’t deal with it any longer. To feel you don’t belong . . . to feel insane . . . to feel perverted and disgusting . . . you go intercourseing nuts. "If society allowed you to grow up feeling it was normal to be what you are, there wouldn’t be a problem. I don’t think the term ‘transvestite’ or ‘transsexual’ would exist: you’d just be another human being.”

“There is a continuum between male and female. Some are hard-wired one way or another, I’m in between. Or a third sex, I could see myself as quite easily.”

-http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-13712.html/

It's from last April, but my partner only showed me it a few days ago. For people not familiar with Richard O'Brien, he was in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Also, he plays the dad on Disney's Phineas and Ferb.

Guest julia_d

He WROTE the Rocky Horror Show don't you mean, as well as getting a crazy part in the film... And a good fun tv series The Crystal Maze.

For non binaries don't forget Eddie Izzard .. Just where Eddie fits is still something I don't think anybody knows, not even Eddie ;)

Guest sarah f

These are two great examples but how many are out there scared to come out. I am sure there are many more famous people that feel the same way we do but won't come out because of the fear what will happen to their careers if they do. It is going to take some famous people to come out to help our fight.

Love,

Sarah F

Guest i is Sam :-)
He WROTE the Rocky Horror Show don't you mean, as well as getting a crazy part in the film... And a good fun tv series The Crystal Maze.

And he did those adverts for hula hoops :)

That brings back memories :)

I was in college in the late 70's early 80's, and must have watched the rocky horror picture show a dozen times. :D

It was a college ritual for many, we held or lighters high, threw toast and got involved in many other ways during the movie. :lol:

I have cross dressed all of my life. :rolleyes:

I remember when I first accepted to my self that I was a transvestite, I took a test on the internet and answered 10 questions, one of the questions was how many times had I watched the rocky horror picture show? Like that mattered. :huh:

Any way the test said I was a transvestite, and I was in disbelief, it sounded like such an ugly word to me then. I finally accepted that I was just that. ^_^

After a little more research and another test on the net (Cogiti), I accepted that I am a Transsexual. :wub:

I've hated bumper stickers all my life, I think they look stupid. :angry:

Anymore I think of gender as a spectrum. B)

Adam is on one end and Eve on the other, and everyone there after is somewhere between.

I'm just another face in the crowd.

Unique in every way, as we all are.

:wub: vanna

I seem to be able to express myself much better through poetry so here is one for all of us.

We look for acceptance everywhere and moan that we have no place

Looking around I have found no acceptance for the entire human race

We assume that for all others they just fit in

For we cannot hear their cries above the din

The noise and confusion that comes from deep within

Telling us that no others are in the that state we are in

No one on this planet has truly any real acceptance

As to all others their mere existence an annoyance

So let's stop looking for champions and people like ourselves who do

And realize that the only one that needs to accept you is in truth you

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Ryles_D

Ah, awesome. ^^ I've never seen it so I don't know all that much about it.

For non binaries don't forget Eddie Izzard .. Just where Eddie fits is still something I don't think anybody knows, not even Eddie ;)

It sounds like he's either a cross-dresser, a non-op transwoman (I believe he's called himself a "lesbian in a man's body"), or just a straight guy who likes skirts. I haven't seen anything that says he identifies outside of male/female. :/

• 2 months later...
Guest Pica Pica

I have always loved Richard O'Brian since I was a kid and he did the Crystal Maze, which was my most favourite tv program ever.

I once saw him in a caff in Arundel, he was as charming as charming could be to a strange ginger kid.

Guest Pica Pica

Oh in this video he is down the pub with a crystal maze team before filming, I picked it at random but from 4.30 - 7.00 he talks about gender and gender related clothing.

Guest Evan_J
That brings back memories :)

I was in college in the late 70's early 80's, and must have watched the rocky horror picture show a dozen times. :D

It was a college ritual for many, we held or lighters high, threw toast and got involved in many other ways during the movie. :lol:

I loved those moments. I was behind you in age. I didn't get out of highschool till the mid80's. But the RHPS was part of my teentime. Oh gooood stuff. And I remember that it was important to me personally as it was "tangible" expression of what a world might be like if social dress codes, and appearance codes, and ultimately human individuality codes when not destructive or harmful to other peeps, might not be so narrow. In a way (you're gonna love this.....) I guess it was like Harry Potter at its time. In that it drew a canvas most people had not been able to compose where "another way" was lived out.

• 2 months later...
Guest Chrysee

Having attended way too many years ago a midnight showing of Rocky Horror, I always longed to get up there with the players and be Riff Raff. Later, as I grew old, shriveled, and with long hair, some people in the know thought I resembled him.

This is too cool! I have just started hanging out in the Andro section of the playground, as I believe this is wear I feel the most at home.

Thanks.

Guest nelo

Oh, that's awesome. I like how he worded it... "There is a continuum between male and female. Some are hard-wired one way or another, I’m in between."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Larson

I never knew that Richard O'Brien felt that way. Never done too much research into him really, mostly just marvel at his genius in writing/performing Rocky Horror. Then again, Rocky Horror is such a wonderful expression and celebration of gender and sexuality it isn't surprising to hear his thoughts.

juila_d, Eddie Izzard is my hero. I've always been a fan (my brother's a cross dresser, he introduced me to both Rocky Horror and Izzard), but after seeing the new documentary Believe: The Eddie Izzard Story, I truly look up to him as a hero. I definitely recommend it to anyone on these boards, especially Izzard fans. I saw him live last winter and it was the first time I went out in public wearing a binder and full men's clothes (still as a girl, but whatevs). It was a beautiful moment in my life.

Izzard and O'Brien both make non-heteronormative expressions/presentations/identities/behaviors seem like no big deal and go about them with grace and confidence.

Ryles_D In the documentary of his life, Izzard makes it fairly clear that he is a straight man, who happens to enjoy wearing women's clothing. In fact, the documentary was made by one of his ex-girlfriends.