• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Walk Like A Man

Guest SamIThinkIAm

Guest SamIThinkIAm

Anyway--seriously--how does one who is *not* biologically built to walk like a guy do it?

I've tried watching bio guys but it's just not cutting it.

Obviously I don't cross my feet in front of the other because that just gives you that female model walk which is NOT what I'm going for... I try to put as much as space as I can between my feet and take a long strides (well--for a guy with freaking short legs seriously lol my inseam is like a 28-30 tops :P). I can do the stereotypical tough gangster swagger but it---like it does on bioguys--looks ridiculous.

Plus I've got tight spastic muscles pretty much all over so pretty much, even if I wasn't female biologically, my hips still tend to sway ridiculously (because my knees want to cross in on each other--they get pulled in so my legs tend to form an X shape--plus my left leg is knock kneed :( ) and my spine doesn't want to move so I can't get my shoulders to sway instead. I'm trying as hard as I can to loosen all the muscles up but I'm worried.

Is there like excercises I could practice or something? Obviously it's gonna take practice but is there like a 'place your feet like this, hips like that and stand like this' type thing I can follow?

Guest sarah f

You said it best. It will take lots of practice to get a walk down and have it as second nature to you. I am trying to get my feminine walk down and I have to continue to think about it all the time. Just keep on practicing and hopefully you will get there soon.

Love,

Sarah F

Guest Nicodeme

I would say as long as you manage to keep your hips from swaying you'll be doing a good job. I'm still training myself but even when I was walking without trying to "masculinize" it I was passing fine.

Guest SamIThinkIAm

Thanks everybody :) I'll keep working on it.

Pol---nope I haven't seen it--as far as I know 'Sleepers' came out in 96 didn't it? I *think* I had just started kindergarten then :P

Pol---nope I haven't seen it--as far as I know 'Sleepers' came out in 96 didn't it? I *think* I had just started kindergarten then :P

Hey, I didn't see it when it came out either ... I was in Third class in '96. Stop trying to make me feel old! :P It's a very difficult film for me to watch for most of it, but there are also parts I really like, and the part with this song is one of the good parts.

I always walked fairly manly. I walk with my toes pointed out, always have. And I take bigger strides. For awhile most people thought I was walking with a stick up my butt. Lol. It does take practice. One thing I learned is confidence is everything. Just walk and don't worry too much and let it just go with the flow. May be hard but you'll get the hang of it. I've seen some bioguys sway their hips. Everyone walks different. Just hold your head high and however you walk is manly enough. :D I hope that helped. I'm not the greatest advice giver since I may as well have been out as a transguy since I was 3. Was always more male then anything. Lol.

Guest Anna_Banana

Wider stances. Practice spreading your legs more rather then keeping them closed. Like, when you sit in a chair, don't sit with your legs together, sit with them spread about a shoulder's width apart. Same thing when you are standing. Hunch a little too. Most men have terrible posture.

.Anna

Guest Cricket

I don't have any advice, but I can definitely commiserate. When I was growing up I always had really guy-like posture and body language, but I ended up getting shamed into walking and acting like a girl when I was in high school and now I have to untrain/retrain myself too. I'm just trying to find what's comfortable for me. You should try to do the same. I've noticed that most people don't really seem to pay attention to how I walk and they probably aren't paying much attention to how you walk, either. Most people are too busy trying to get where they're going to care about how we act or look, as long as we aren't in their way. =P It's gonna take a lot of practice but we'll get there!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 104 Guests (See full list)

• Susan R
    • MaybeRob
    • Betty K
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Nikki2988
    Newest Member
    Nikki2988

1. Ale975
      Ale975
      (27 years old)
    2. BillieB
      BillieB
      (65 years old)
    3. BrokenDays
      BrokenDays
      (34 years old)
    4. Bryson
      Bryson
      (25 years old)
    5. Jolie
      Jolie
    • Desert Fox
      I am working on a solo music project and I decided a few years ago I wanted to do female lead vocals. I’ve played instrumental music most of my life and sung as a male, mostly backup and harmony though, but very little lead. I never liked my male voice. People always clocked me as female on the phone so I’ve always had a more feminine voice. A little over two years ago I started training my female voice to sing and it has been a lot of fun, though I’m still not where I want to be. Consistency is my biggest challenge.    I try to make practice fun or I don’t stick with it. So I do a lot of singing along with my favorite cover songs…I use a vocal fader, and practice with a microphone, and often just record the blend with my phone to evaluate where I’m at and see what I need to work on. If possible I find karaoke mixes on YouTube where the lead vocal is removed and sing along to that.   I’m not sure I can offer much advice, I just do a lot of listening back and adjusting my technique and practicing until I like how I sound. Just a lot of practice. It will probably take longer than you hope to get where you want to be :) High notes will be challenging but every singer has to build up the muscles and technique and breath support and stretch the vocal chords and then their range will expand. My higher notes are in tune, but often sound strained, probably because they are. Some of that is tensing up in anticipation which I need to train myself out of doing.    I think “trans voice lessons” on YouTube is one of the best channels for tips and theory. Once you’ve found your singing voice and have that relatively consistent, pretty much it’s just working on technique, styling, articulation, range, like any singer would. 
    • Desert Fox
      I sometimes look too critically when I look in mirrors. If I’m presenting as male, I think I look too feminine. If I am presenting female then I think I look too masculine. It’s very irritating! Sometimes I think I get it down right. I guess everybody has their good and bad hair days and such, though. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.hrc.org/news/reyna-hernandez-latina-trans-woman-salon-owner-and-vibrant-spirit-killed-in-washington-state   This case is unusual, in that the victim was murdered in the U.S. and her body driven all the way to Mexico, presumably to hide evidence and confuse the authorities.    May Reyna rest in peace, and her vicious killer convicted and sentenced to a very long term behind bars.   Carolyn Marie
    • KymmieL
      We are forecast to be nice all weekend. Finally, getting a fair weather weekend.   Kymmie
    • KayC
      Hi @JenniferB - Welcome back! and nice to meet you! I applaud your desire to rejoin this wonderful Forum to share and help others.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.
    • KayC
      I cooked a breaded bone-in pork chop (seared in iron skillet then into the oven) an artichoke (w/mayo) and a frozen mac n' cheese that claimed it was "The Best Mac n' Cheese" ... and it was actually pretty good.
    • Davie
      Trump is accused of 26 separate sexual abuse crimes. What a guy.
    • Willow
      Well my work week is done and I’m exhausted.     @KymmieL your sign speaks the truth.   I almost forgot, stormy weather expected off and on all weekend
    • Ivy
      Right handed, but my left eye is dominant.   However left eye has cataract, So I've learned to hold my cup left-handed so I can see while drinking.  
    • Ladypcnj
      I'm right handed
    • DonkeySocks
      Sending prayers for your sister. I am sure the insurance thing will work out.
    • Ladypcnj
      Biden is our only hope, it will take a miracle if Trump loses again.  
    • Ivy
      Hope your sister does okay
    • Vidanjali
      I will keep your sister in my prayers, @Davie. The insurance thing, that will work out in time. Bureaucracy is annoying, but adds fuel to the fire when you're already upset about another matter. Yes, "wait and pray". Bless you both. 
    • Davie
      Not so good today. My sister is in the ER with a stroke. Also, my insurance is screwed up somehow, so I'm being Charged $300 for a simple checkup. I've had to cancel it until it's worked out. But mainly I wait to hear about my dear and supportive sister in the ER. And wait and pray. And pray.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.