• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Blood Donations And Hrt

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I donate blood at least once every two months, and have been doing so for many years.

Other than temporary deferrals for traveling outside the country, I've never had a problem.

I went to donate today, and gave the list of forbidden medications in the brochure a cursory glance,

and lo and behold, I noticed that Finasteride (Proscar) is on the list. As long as one is taking it,

you cannot donate blood.

DANG!

That is the T-blocker that my doctor prescribed.

I didn't see any other typical HRT medications on the list, such as different forms of estrogen or testosterone.

If you have a different T-blocker you're also probably OK.

Oh, well. I feel bad, but there is nothing to be done unless my doc changes prescriptions. Good to know, though.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Kaitlyn88

I don't take that so I guess that I am ok.

Does anyone know anything about selling plasma? I was thinking about it. Every little bit helps with transition plus it would help people that need it. Although I read that plasma is needed by your body to move hormones around and stuff and wondered if it would slow down transition by donating it.

I don't take that so I guess that I am ok.

Does anyone know anything about selling plasma? I was thinking about it. Every little bit helps with transition plus it would help people that need it. Although I read that plasma is needed by your body to move hormones around and stuff and wondered if it would slow down transition by donating it.

My SO is Ftm, is not on T or had any surgeries, he told the doctors where he had been giving plasma he was going to transition in the future, they immediately banned him from giving plasma on the intent he was going to transition, pretty idiotic if you ask me.

Paula

Guest nymphblossom

My undertsanding is that Finasteride actually raises testosterone levels slightly. It is prescribed for hair loss and is not part of actual hormone therapy.

Blossom

Guest BeckyTG

Dearest Carolyn Marie,

If you read the warnings on Finasteride, it says that pregnant women shouldn't even HANDLE the pills, much less take any. They can't walk past an open bottle of it...... They should avoid any pharmacy who's currently filling a prescription for it.....

Well, you get the idea. I'd bet that's the reason for it being on the "no donors" list.

Love,

Becky

From all the research I've done I've found more negative info on Finasteride than positive. But a great alternative is available, it being Avodart (dutasteride) it's a million times better, it also does a better job at fighting hairloss.

Something to consider.. also means you'd be able to donate again ^_^