• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What Is Wrong With Rupaul?

Guest Kaitlyn88

Guest Kaitlyn88

Have any of you seen this in the news? http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010...onth-event.html

I know I'm white but I don't get it. They suspended teachers and are trying to get them fired for allowing the kids to celebrate OJ Simpson, Dennis Rodman and RuPaul. OJ was on the approved list of people so that is only brought up because of of Rodman and Rupaul. Now maybe Rodman isn't the greatest but I know people that do have him as a role model. RuPaul is a great role model for the LGBT community. OJ wasn't the teachers fault because he was on the approved list. Adding Rodman isn't something I would consider firing the teachers over and RuPaul I think should be on it. It seems more to me like they didn't approve of Rodman and RuPaul because of their known cross dressing and threw OJ in it to make it seem ok to discriminate against the LGBT community. OJ doesn't count because he was apporoved, if it was just him they couldn't have said anything about it so it's really about Rodman and RuPaul. I'm sure that the teachers didn't mean any harm by adding those two.

Guest Donna Jean

I don't know, Honey.....

I'm not condoning or condemning either the teachers or the "role models".

But, I'm sure that some of the reasoning behind it all was that O.J. is a convicted felon....

Dennis Rodman ...

he reinvented himself as the prototypical "bad boy" and became notorious for numerous controversial antics. He dyed his hair in artificial colors, presented himself with many piercings and tattoos and regularly disrupted games by clashing with opposing players and officials. He famously wore a wedding dress to promote his autobiography. Rodman pursued a high-profile affair with singer Madonna and was briefly married to actress Carmen Electra.

And not overall thought to be in the ranks of "role model"...

And RuPaul?...Well, to most of the known world, cross dressers are less than a role model....

But, I never saw what kind of a list that they were on...I'm just saying that this is probably the school's reasoning.... (Not necessarily mine)

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Kaitlyn88

OJ isn't the teachers fault.

"Pollard-Terry said Simpson appeared on the approved list of Black History Month figures, which dates back to 1985. But the names of Rodman and RuPaul, among others, were added in pencil when teachers were selecting which prominent African Americans their classes would honor in the parade."

They should take him off the list, but that is another issue. Rodman isn't a great choice but still I don't think they meant harm by adding him. RuPaul is a great role model for many in the LGBT community. Really that is my problem with it, he shouldn't be in the same category as OJ Simpson.

Guest April63

But why was OJ Simpson approved? I don't think he should've been, and it looks people in the article didn't like that either.

• 1 month later...
Guest therougepenguin

Maybe because the list was made in 1985. O.J. was probably on, and nobody thought to take him off during the trial or something like that.

Guest Ryles_D
"Its okay to be black, so long as you behave how everyone else wants you to!"

Normally I'd agree- and minorities do have to be more discerning with their public presentation than they should- but LGBT (especially T) people generally aren't acceptable white role models, either. It's sad, but not unexpected, that they'd have issues with presenting a drag queen as a role model especially in a school. What bothers me is more that they're being lumped in with a convicted felon. :angry: