• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Mulan

Guest gwenthlian

Guest gwenthlian

I first saw Mulan aged seven and i cried and cried. That was the moment everything became clear, that there was a reason i didnt fit in. Just like the young chinese woman portrayed in the film i was pretending to be a boy, not fighting cartoon huns but fighting myself. I had an answer to all the questions in my head and i knew i was not alone. Life only got harder as i got older, continual moving of countries and a lack of freinds not to mention the emotional strains of growing up in the wrong body, sent me spiraling into depression but i can see the horizon. I still watch Mulan and im still drawing strength from it and I just wondered if anyone else had encountered it.

"when will my reflection show who i am inside"

Guest GoldenKirbichu
I first saw Mulan aged seven and i cried and cried. That was the moment everything became clear, that there was a reason i didnt fit in. Just like the young chinese woman portrayed in the film i was pretending to be a boy, not fighting cartoon huns but fighting myself. I had an answer to all the questions in my head and i knew i was not alone. Life only got harder as i got older, continual moving of countries and a lack of freinds not to mention the emotional strains of growing up in the wrong body, sent me spiraling into depression but i can see the horizon. I still watch Mulan and im still drawing strength from it and I just wondered if anyone else had encountered it.

"when will my reflection show who i am inside"

Actually, when I watched Mulan the opposite clicked with me. A female-bodied person dressing in the clothes of a male, acting as a male, BEING a male - that also interested me, and it definitely made me think.

Obviously not what you got from it, but it's what I got. I also appreciated the end, where the entire male squadron crossdresses as women in order to infiltrate the castle.

Guest Rika-chama

Ah, I remember watching Mulan as I kid and loving it, too bad that feeling never "clicked" with me. Mulan has to be one of my favorite Disney movies . And the part where they all crossdress as females is hilarious :lol:

Ni-paa~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CharlesMonroe

I love mulan, it really clicked with me. I remember listening to it over and over agian when i was eight, dreaming of the day i would look in the mirror and see me.

'Who is that girl i see, staring straight back at me,

Why is my reflection someone i don't know,

Somehow i cannot hide, who i am though i've tried,

When will my reflection show, who i am inside.'

Guest Brianna

To be honest, I never really listened to the lyrics of that song when I was little. But I do remember liking the part towards the end when they all CD to get into the palace. But know that I think about it, its really applicable to transgender people, especially FTMs. It makes me wonder if disney intended for there to be TG undertones :o. Who knows? Lol.

Interesting topic.

Love

Alyssa.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest o0tg0o

Hehe, yeah I loved it too. I already knew about myself, so when I heard reflections, I loved it...I just never admitted it to my friends :P

Guest brandt

mulan. ahh my favorite disney movie. i loved it. and it clicked to me about how she dressed as a boy and all that. but it showed me that girls can do anything as much as a guys do. i really didnt relate in a way i would have though but now that i think of the concept of this movie i think i like the movie more in putting that kind of way. also as in shakespeares play that i can't think of. but a movie was based on it. she's the man. yea i liked that movie and it was similar to mulan. pretty interesting i think.

Guest CharlieRose
To be honest, I never really listened to the lyrics of that song when I was little. But I do remember liking the part towards the end when they all CD to get into the palace. But know that I think about it, its really applicable to transgender people, especially FTMs. It makes me wonder if disney intended for there to be TG undertones :o. Who knows? Lol.

Interesting topic.

Love

Alyssa.

Yeah, Mulan came out when I was in elementary school, and then, of course, I had no idea I was trans, I just thought it was funny and liked the music. :D

When I got older, questioning, and listened to the music, I thought, "Sheesh, what is 'Reflection' supposed to be about if not FTMs?"