• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Step Towards Equality

Guest CattalieChan

Guest CattalieChan

I got this idea, rooted historically, of there needing to be a household name ts person for any major progress to be made. Does anyone agree? Am I overlooking something?

Amber

Guest Donna Jean

Well, Christine Jorgensen and Renee' Richards were "household" names in the past, but they were only famous for changining sex and not noteworthy in any other ways...

Same for Chaz Bono...only well known for being the child of famous parents...

We need someone who is known and respected in their field that just happens to be Transgendered...

That would be the optimum choice...

Donna Jean

Guest Esperanza Xochitl

Makes sense. We have icons amongst (my generation) the youth these days who may not be ts but fit into the overall trans umbrella (for lack of better words) in the sense that they don't fit into the gender binary, though I'm not sure if Jeffree Starr is a great example even of that or not due to Jeffree's tendency to pick fights indiscriminately and have an overall bad attitude (from what I heard.)

Someday maybe I'll be famous as a poet or artist (seeing as those are the only skills I have) But maybe my defiant nature wouldn't settle well with the american public, in which case someone else would be better for warming up the public.

But I do agree we need a famous trans person (or more than one)

Guest Elizabeth K

Howard Stern volunteered as a representative for crossdressing! He is a famous nobody!

We are lucky he isn't trans - woulda set us back a few decades.

What about recruiting someone, say Dickk Chaney or Al Gore? They aren't doing anything right now? Throw in a free trip to Thailand and a new wardrobe? Irresisitable - and it would keep their name in the press.

For a FTM I thought and thought on a volunteer - but Hilary Clinton would be just too unbelieveable - so many already think of her as a man. WAIT - Add Bill Clinton - he could WEAR that little blue dress instead of... nevermind!

Or a rock star - David Bowie - no, he has already been there, done that! Steven Tyler? He lost credibility when he sired Liv Tyler...

Sigorney Weaver? There is a good candidate! She already knows how to kick rear!

And Antonio Bandaras - already a gorgeous human being! No eyeliner neaded, longer hair already! A little electrolysis...

Donno - other suggestions?

Lizzy

Guest Jewel

If Lana Wachowski weren't so private, she could doubtless reach a big audience if she chose to speak out on transgender issues. She's well known and truly talented in her field (Matrix, Bound, V for Vendetta, etc)... and much of the media is dominated by figures from Hollywood (moreso than aerospace engineers, for instance). However, unlike many "big name" directors/writers/producers in Hollywood, both the Wachowskis choose to be very low key. I can respect that. Personally I'd have a hard time being in the media spotlight... that life is definitely not for me.

Guest Donna Jean
And Antonio Bandaras - already a gorgeous human being! No eyeliner neaded, longer hair already! A little electrolysis...

Donno - other suggestions?

Lizzy

Hey.....

Don't ruin him!

We'll get someone else!

Now, Bill Gates! There's a household name!

Well known around the world...

Could set up an SRS foundation!

Get some nicer glasses....

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K
Hey.....

Don't ruin him!

We'll get someone else!

Now, Bill Gates! There's a household name!

Well known around the world...

Could set up an SRS foundation!

Get some nicer glasses....

Donna Jean

YEAH

And she (Willamina Gates) could brag about being the wealthiest man and the wealthiest woman in the world!

All the closets would then have WINDOWS!

It would open up a whole new VISTA!

Rebooting would be putting on higher heels

Microsoft would be a description of what happens to something, after a year on HRT

Upgrading would have a whole new meaning

And if she was ever was criticized, She could just buy that person's company and fire them!

Lizzy

Guest CattalieChan

Wait is chaney realy trans, or is he (she?) just being portrayed so. Anyway acting would be a good field to break into; we've spent most of our lives acting. I just hope our Jackie Robinson comes soon, maybe he or she is even reading this post! Society needs a face to put to the ts name.

Amber

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Leigh

agreed.

peace&love

If Lana Wachowski weren't so private, she could doubtless reach a big audience if she chose to speak out on transgender issues. She's well known and truly talented in her field (Matrix, Bound, V for Vendetta, etc)... and much of the media is dominated by figures from Hollywood (moreso than aerospace engineers, for instance). However, unlike many "big name" directors/writers/producers in Hollywood, both the Wachowskis choose to be very low key. I can respect that. Personally I'd have a hard time being in the media spotlight... that life is definitely not for me.
Guest Hoslers_wife

Although nick is famous in my world and I'm sure all of you are someone's nick I get what your saying. I think that would have an incredible impact on the trans community. Especially in fighting the terrible taboo stereotypes that are directly associated with being transgendered...grr.... too bad lady ga ga isn't really trans. As controversial as she is it would be guaranteed publicity. Sometimes I think America needs to really see the trans community for what it is. Normal people. Wives, husbands, brothers, sisters, children, friends vs the crap that all trans are hookers, druggies, ect.... oh dear, there I go again lol.

Love,

Chelsey hosler

Guest CattalieChan

Yeah, the key point to make is that our distribution of crimes is not statistically higher, i.e. we are neither all good nor all bad, just HUMAN. The taboo itself is well guarded, but not ready for someone truly great to come allong. The taboo is slowly fading, and this speed IS a problem; all the work could be turned arroung by pushing to far without enough momentum. Now is the time we need this; the US is fixated on the war, economy, and hating democrats. Online video is booming.One thing could change it

• Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 150 Guests (See full list)

• Ashley0616
    • Betty K
    • Ivy
    • awkward-yet-sweet