• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Support Organization For Trans Teachers

Guest NatashaJade

Teacher Interest  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Please answer only if you are a teacher so we can find out how many there are here. Thanks!

• I am a teacher
  2. 2. Would you be interested in helping to form or joining a support group?

• Help to Form
    • Join it later
    • Not interested, thanks!

Guest NatashaJade

Hi all!

Chngnwnd and I have been chatting about the pitfalls of being a teacher and transitioning. While I haven't done too much research on it as of yet, we thought it couldn't hurt to see if there were other teachers around here who might be interested in having a support group that could provide resources for us. I know I love my job and my biggest fear in transitioning is that eventually, I will have to leave it because of the caustic environment that will undoubtedly arise should I try to come out on the job. I would like to have a database of some kind that I could look to and discover the areas of the country where I can teach once I'm full time (and where I could not).

If you are interested or you know of a group that already exists, let us know. One of the things I want to work towards is becoming more active in our community. I think we need to work together to become as much a part of mainstream society as we can. Each generation makes it a little better for the one that follows.

luv

Gin

Guest Donna Jean

Gin, Honey....I can't really add much here as I'm not a teacher....

And I think that at this point in my life, it would be weird to have young people stare at me all day as a part of my job...So, I've got to hand it to you.

And I can tell that you are passionate about teaching and it would be a real shame to lose an asset like you because of transition...I truly do hope that , in time, we will be understood well enough to be allowed to pursue our vocations.....Especially you.

The best of Luck an Love

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest NatashaJade
And I think that at this point in my life, it would be weird to have young people stare at me all day as a part of my job...So, I've got to hand it to you.

Oh, Dee Jay, you have no idea! But I teach theatre, so I am used to be the center of attention :D I am always slightly worried that they notice things, but teens are all (forgive the generalization) very self-centered. They barely notice what I write on the board let alone the fact that I went from being shaved bald with a beard a little over a year ago to long-haired and very clean shaven. Plus, I have made it a habit over the last few years to consistently change my appearance. There are people I work with who may not see me very often.When they do after awhile, they usually double-take because I have changed one or two things quite drastically. I hope that helps cover some of the hrt related changes that are happening.

Funny thing today. In one of my classes, none of the guys showed up for whatever reason. The girls all cheered and decalred my room a "Girls Only" zone. Then they looked over at me, smiled, and said I was cool so I could stay. Most of my core drama club students are girls and they are always amused that I just sit and listen to their teen-girl conversations. It is really as close to being a teenage girl as I can imagine for a woman my age.

luv

Gin

Guest chngnwnd

I don't think it is an over generalization about teens. I just had a student demand to go to guidance because he is failing my class and it's my fault he did not turn in any work... trying to figure that one out makes my head hurt...

I teach English atm, but am also a certified Spanish teacher btw.

Forgive the texting short hand, my children are a bad influence on me... I hope to keep it that way, hence Gina and I are looking into this...

Bobby

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 113 Guests (See full list)

• Iwannabawoman
    • Thea
    • MaeBe
    • Vidanjali
    • VickySGV
    • AmandaJoy