• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Virus

Guest Elizabeth K

Guest Elizabeth K

I picked up some sort of virus mascurading as a virus protection program. It is inteferring with my use as I keep getting pop-ups that won't cancel away. I have to turn this computer over to our guru for a few days - and my soon to be ex-wife kept my personal computer and says 'she needs it" although she has one of her own.

So I will be unavailable tomorrow at least - probably tonight as well. My cell phone is working if there is an immergency.

Lizzy

Sorry to here that Lizzy. Unfortunately social engineers are becoming very clever. They get victims to click on pop-ups or ads that look authentic. Unfortunately hackers know how to take over a pc now to where the anti-virus software becomes useless. Your hard-drive will have to be reformatted to be safe. Still whoever infected your pc was amatuerish. The object is to infect your pc without you knowing it. I know you are not probably going to see this until tomorrow, but if you can, you can still save your data files (like pictures). Those files aren't usually infected. Just in case make sure to scan the files before downloading them back on your pc.

Love Susan

Guest Donna Jean

What I think that Lizzy has is not a virus, but something even more insidious......MalWare!

It is disguised as legit and when it's on your comp it will run to show you how many bad things are on there and will remove them if you will send them $50 or something...

A virus just wants to mess up your computer for no monetary gain...

Some can deny you access to your anti virus program...and worse....

And, not all anti virus programs will pick up malware...

I'd like to strangle whoever does that...

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

Tried a reset to an earlier configuration - as this is Malware - a different type of virus. So today is 7 May to the computer - hopefully before the infection. Will updte this posting one way or the other - seems to be working now - I just hope it didn't have a delay built-in.

Lizzy

A few weeks ago I had what appeared to be a legit pop up from Microsoft going on at me "YOU HAVE A VIRUS, YOU HAVE A VIRUS" I was just happy it told me in advance so I could get the tissues ready, take a few pills to stop any unbearable pain that may happen and went to bed. (I know. I know. I really should give up my day job and become a comedian right?) Okay...I know...I know...I'm really not that funny. But I try. :(:lol:

On a more serious note, I seriously did have Microsoft tell me I had a virus but I didn't trust it because it was telling me using anti-virus software I don't use! so I just scanned my computer using the nortan anti-virus I use and fixed it. :)

Guest GeoJamesLee

I hope that you get your computer fixed and everything. *hugs*

I have had things pop saying it's scanning my computer but I exit it right away.

@Matt: You are funny!!! :P You make me laugh!!

That's good because I want our computers to get along when I move in but that cannot happen if yours is in quarantine!

Hope that fixed it Roomy!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean
WORKS

Did a scan program - no problems!

Lizzy

YAY!

HUGGGGGGGGGG!

Donna Jean

WORKS

Did a scan program - no problems!

Lizzy

YAY!

HUGGGGGGGGGG!

Donna Jean

Donna Jean,

You might want to scan your computer! :lol:

Donna Jean,

Donna Jean,

Donna Jean,

Donna Jean,

Donna Jean,

Viruses make me sick!

Love ya,

Sally

I'm the one here saying you would probably have to reformat the drive. I'm glad you didn't take my advice.

Lol

Susan

• Root Admin
I picked up some sort of virus mascurading as a virus protection program. It is inteferring with my use as I keep getting pop-ups that won't cancel away.

I think I've been hit with the same thing that you are describing. It pops up unannounced and starts running a so called virus scan and all efforts to shut it down fail. I've had to actually pull the plug on my computer to get it to stop. The system restore will take you back to an earlier time, so you shouldn't have any effects from it. I would run a mal-ware and virus scan just to be on the safe side. I use AVAST, Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware on this particular computer. They work well enough to keep the nasty stuff away.

MaryEllen

Guest Donna Jean
I would run a mal-ware and virus scan just to be on the safe side. I use AVAST, Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware on this particular computer. They work well enough to keep the nasty stuff away.

MaryEllen

Mary Ellen....

That is the program that I suggested to Lizzy in a PM....

I run it on all of the computers here at work and on half a dozen at home!

Best freeware program around!

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

Agree - and so going the back to an early format worked. I had my guru friend run a scan, similar to what you recommened but one purchased by the company. It came back "no threats." So we are watching and hoping.

Of course I wasted half a day on this!

Lizzy

• Forum Moderator

It had to do with hitting the F-1 button. And, that activated the critter or so Snopes said.

Mike