• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Just Got Back From First Therapy Session

JenniferB

Not exactly what I expected from a gender therapist. Well it turned out gender therapy was only a small part of what she was trained in. She is more of a clinical psychologist. Her answer to gender therapy is she wasn't going to get in the way of self expression. She basically said to get more involved with the local gender support group. Still I don't mind seeing her because of other issues. I know I won't be transitioning anytime in the near future. She did ask me what name I wanted to be called so I will be called Susan when I visit.

BTW just set up my first electrolysis appointment to a real nice lady how has two transexxuals working for her. Very helpful and willing to give me all kinds of information. :) She even loved it that I went to the mall the other day to observe.

Susan

Well it is different with each therapist but asking about the name is a definite plus.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest NatashaJade

It is a start, Susan. But if you want to talk about trans related issues, it is your dime. I am glad you found a trans friendly electrolysis establishment. That's very cool. I think most of the hair removal places are trans friendly because it wouldn't pay to not be. I'm glad you're moving forward. It's a great direction.

luv

Gin

Guest Opal

Hi Susan!

Sounds like a big step along the journey! Misha has her first meeting next week, and I just got a referral to a therapist in this area with GID experience.

Like you, I don't expect to be able to transition anytime soon, but there is a lot for me to learn in the meantime. Thats great that you have a local support group to interact with, as well as a place for electrolysis!

Hugs and wishing you the best until next time,

Opal

Guest misha1144

My first appointment with a therapist is next week. So glad to hear you went to see a professional. Just remember to trust your heart. Therapists are human too. When I was in college I was seeing a therapist and my gender identity came up. He told me that I was a man no matter what and that if I had SRS is would just be a man who had SRS. That set me back many years and lots of destruction and pain along the way.

Hugs, Misha