• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Cold Turkey

Guest SouthernBelle

Guest SouthernBelle

Hello SouthernBelle,

Very pretty name.

ty!!!

I agree with Katie T. what's not to love, by quitting. I went Cold-Turkey over twenty years ago. You can expect strength to come back that you forgot about.

Strength? STRENGTH?!! I feel like I lost that when my wife started smoking cigarettes around me after I initially quit. I started off strong and... Well, I've been quitting just about every day lol.

HUGGS

Belle

Guest NatashaJade

You have to really want to quit, Belle. Simple as that. I woke up one morning with a pain in my chest at the age of 29 and said enough. I was done.

What's more important: nicotine or hrt?

You can quit. Nicotine's out of your system in a week, so why poison yourself with gum or a patch? Drink water. Eat mints. I still want a cigarette from time to time, but not enough to smoke it. I don't need it. Neither do you.

You can quit. Go to a Nicotine Anonymous meeting. Get a sponsor. Take a chip. Do whatever it takes.

You don't need cigarettes.

You can quit.

I smoked a pack a day for a decade and quit. I didn't need them anymore.

Neither do you.

You don't want them.

You can quit.

love

Gin

Hi Belle!

Sorry I can't give you any advice on this. Just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you and sincerely hope you can find a way someway, somehow, to quickly make it to HRT .

Hugs!

Opal

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SouthernBelle

Ugh!! So the quitting smoking thing isn't going well. I'm giving up on this cold turkey business. I purchased an electronic cigarette online and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm hoping that I can do it with no nicotine at all, but the kit comes with different strengths. My plan is to try it out and if I like it, I'll either go back to cold turkey using 0 nicotine cartridges or doing it with 0 nicotine cartridges and getting a patch.

So sry for not following so much of the advice that has been offered to me on here. I've got a lot going on right now. It's hard. It's so hard.

HUGGS AND KISSES

Belle

Guest Pammy

Belle, I am right there with you! I gave up a pack a day habit after 26 years! This Tuesday the sixth will be three weeks smoke free for me! I know how hard it is, the cravings are still with me no matter what the doctor said. It's actually less the craving than the TRIGGER to smoke that is there, tempting me.

I just tell myself that I can be a boy and smoke or a girl and not smoke but not both. All I have to do is decide which. So far, I've chosen the girl. My therapist is supportive too. I even made my driving partner quit because he was smoking and I could smell it and wanted to join him SO BAD! So I eliminated that "sharing" trigger. The rest are inherent to my job so they won't go away but my reasons for quitting are still there.

I tried the method that a friend used and it worked pretty well so far. I switched from full strength cigs to lights for a few months until my consumption dropped to normal levels, then went to ultra lights. Smoked twice as much for a while then went back to my usual pack a day. That's when I was ready to step off the bottom of the ladder. So far so good!

Keep trying and don't get discouraged if you fail at first. Call me if you need peer support!

Love

Pamela

• Forum Moderator

Belle

My daughter is eager to try the electronic cigarettes but we have been reluctant to invest until we know how they work. Please keep us updated when they arrive.

Thanks

Huggs

JJ

Guest Opal

Hi Belle!

No apology necessary, Dear! Cigarettes are purposely designed to be as addictive as possible, making them that much harder to quit. Do what you can, and you will quit smoking and then the HRT can start!

Huggs!

Opal

Guest SouthernBelle

My e-cigarette just arrived. I'm charging it now. I'll let you all know if using the cartridges with 0 nicotine works for me.

HUGGS

Belle