• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transgender Anime And Manga

Guest Keiichi-kun

Guest SailorMercury

Not that it would be anything other than hentai but the greatest TG related manga to me is Dulce Report

This is also because i only read it in japanese and had no clue what was going on in the text, so i filled the bublles with what i found matching and discovered manga texting i prefer over manga reading.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EVAN_DESU

Guest Kindrie

Quote: Also I haven't read much of it but the Mai-Otome (the manga only) has the main character, a boy, who pretends he is the princess.

This isn't acurate the series itself has it not just the manga. Though I do fan subs since the official groups plain and simply destroy things WAY to much.

Also don't forget sailormoon (be careful of us version they edit out the gender points when ever they get a chance.) Think the sailor star was one of the most gender pointed. Since the star characters are all guys and when they change to fight they are girls.

Gundam seed has some gender stuff in it. Girl dresses like boy. When they are in the desert.

I'll have to look through my anime for gender topics I know I have tons more but names escape me. I'm way to much an anime nut hehe. Think when you go over about 500gigs of anime like me they don't have a word to describe us any more.

KKM is cute, I only watched the first half though.

Kashimashi is soo adorable in the beginning, but gets too sad for me...

Ouran highschool host club has a girl who dresses as a guy to partake in a host club, it's really cute and funny! One of my favorites!

Mai Otome anime does have one episode where takumi-sama is impersonated by a guy (akira) who is really a girl, The relationship between the two characters is "best friend" from My-HiME the alter-universe (and first) anime to the saga. Mai otome does have plenty of shoujo ai to it, and it's action packed. I've marathoned all 26 eipsides, plus the two OVAs in one sitting--twice! And watched the series a total of 3 times. It will make you laugh and cry!

I'm watching I My Me: Strawberry Eggs right now. It's about a male teacher who cross dresses so he can teach at a school that only hires women. It's funny!

Guest gwenthlian

I've read the IS manga and there is a character, Ayame, in the delightful Fruits Basket anime/manga that is a cross dresser and runs a store supplying clothing for dressing up in. Might think of more but that's it for now ^^

• 1 month later...
Guest sphere

I've read this one manga about a transgirl in high school, who has a really outgoing and lovable personality, the manga does have a happy ending. Too bad we all can't have her luck, eh?

It's callled Ai no Shintairiku. It's a lighthearted sort of thing.

Guest silverpetals

has anyone mentioned hourou musuko yet? i'm not very familiar with anime or manga, but i found the style and plot quite ethereal and beautiful.

i'm sorry if that's been posted before, i probably overlooked it...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*gasp* Furuba (Fruits Basket) has been mentioned, but you left out Ritchan! Ritchan (Ritsu) is a cross-dresser who has a serious anxiety disorder. Wearing women's clothes helps him calm down.

If we're allowing western comics, there was a similar character in "Runaways". Xavin, a Skrull, is betrothed to Karolina. Unfortunately, Karolina is a lesbian, and Xavin's male. So Xavin, seeing how Skrulls are shape-shifters, changes into a female for her.

Hana-Kimi is very similar to Girl Got Game, except that the main character is the one who decides that she's going to pretend to be a boy.

And now that I'm looking, I'm noticing how very many missed opportunities for such situations as that shared body there are in manga. Hikaru no Go, for example, involves a boy who's almost possessed by (kind of attached to) a ghost. They're the same gender. In Yu Yu Hakusho, Kurama takes a human body when the human is a fetus. Of course, the baby is male. (A very feminine male, but a male nonetheless.) Etc., etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shounenbat

Ouran High School Host Club is a good one that explores gender roles. Definately check that one out.

I'm not sure if this one really counts, but Romeo X Juliet features a Juliet is has been made to pass herself off as a man to avoid being detected by the Montagues. It really doesn't follow the play at all, but just thought I'd toss this one out.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tammy Maher

Samurai Deeper Kyo (manga) has a crossdressing/MTF character starting from book (I think) 22. I could stand up and check, but right now I feel lazy. :P

Guest Elizabeth K

Ramna 1/2

Futaba Kun Change

Your and My Secret

Once upon a Glashma

Pretty Face

Kashimashi

Until the Full Moon

Princess-Princess

and my favorite of all obviously

Gacha-Gacha

Grannies read manga too

Elizabeth

Guest thisismylife

brilliant! i was going to ask the same question. anything i could suggest has already been said. I think my favourite of these is ouran high, haruhi is awesome (the person in my avatar) If i think of any more ill post them! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sara w.

theres this one anime that i just found i think its called happiness OVA, its about this girl who is the most beautiful person you would ever see but she was born male and everone knows about it and calls her him and he, she even has her own fanclub :S and i havn't figured it out fully yet but it has alot of magic in it and in this one episode i found 4 different types of magic come together and hit her and turns her into a real girl, im not going to spoil the unfortunate ending though. heres the link to the vid there are 3 parts to the episode so be sure to watch them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMEu99NOBto...feature=related

Guest Little Sara
I My Me! Strawberry Eggs-A male teacher is forced to crossdress as a woman to get the teaching job he wants at an all girls school

It's a co-ed school.

The director only hires female staff however.

Guest Little Sara

There is also Vandread which has a character "disguise himself" as a woman to spy. Though its unknown how the character feels about it (would transition or not?), and what physical changes happened per the disguise. The breasts seem real as per what the story says.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sarah

one of my favorite transgendered manga's is Family compo (check www.onemanga.com) it's about a boy who's parents died (i think) and he comes to live with his aunt and uncle and his niece. a practicly normal family, except that his aunt used to be a man and vice versa for his uncle. only they haven't undergone any operations. (but they look like their true genders) Masahiko (the main character) keeps getting into situation that foces him to crossdress, while he has no desire for it. in the story there are more transgendered characters, but you'll have to read it to find out :)

there are a lot ofcourse and several on onemanga.

have fun reading them ^^

grtz & hugz,

Sarah xxx

Guest Sarah

oh another one i forgot to mention, it's not really a manga or anime, but an online book

about the life of eugene tucker he starts crossdressing against his will, but it doesn't really bother, though he won't admit that. His life is about to change drastically, and the story is funny but has it's serious sometimes sad, and sometimes horrefying moments. I can't say much else or I would spoil the story.

But read it! it's called the saga of tucker by ehayes.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Neuro

There is a fairly unknown manga out there called Hourou Musuko, which is ALL about the childhood of a pair of grade-schoolers--A transgender boy, and a transgender girl. A lot of manga (quite frankly) depict trans people as sympathetic or ridiculous people--but this manga depicts these kids as real people. Everything you might remember as kids--trying to pass on a train, the good feeling when someone calls you by your proper pronoun (Miss, Mr,), collecting clothes in secret of your real gender and keeping it hidden from your sister... All those things!

I posted about it in the anime forum, but I am so excited about this manga I hope that you all can read it. It made me smile, and really feel for the kids. It is like looking back into my childhood as a little boy who just wanted to be regarded as such.

Here is an image from it: http://media.photobucket.com/image/hourou%...Musuko2.jpg?o=2

Guys and girls will really like it. (it is a slice-of-life, not specifically shoujo or shounen.)

And MAN--I wish I had some Spring of Drowned Boy right about now!! XD Ranma forever!!! It would be amazing to switch as easy as being splashed by cold or hot water.

Guest Little Sara

There is Simoun where people are born gender-indeterminate (but look female) and choose a sex at 17 years old with a spring.

Guest Little Sara
...well I count Haku from Naruto a Crossdresser...But ^^; I love Haku best char in the whole show...

and I thought i'd just post this..

Story of 2 transgendered teens...

http://betweenthelines.sosdg.org/

^__^;

I count Haku as transsexual or intersex.

I don't call it cross-dressing when that's how you've been all your life and that's how you look normally.

I seriously went "What the heck did Kakashi smoke to use male pronouns?" when they first met Haku

I used to love Ranma when I was around 8 years old.

In fact, I just finished a school project including it. :)

Guest Pioneer

It is more like a crossdressing but the character Nuriko from the Fushigi Yuugi was definitely having a gender disorder that I can definitely identify with.