• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First Therapy

Guest J-London

Guest J-London

Hey all,

Just like to let everyone know that I will be visiting with my new therapist this Thursday. This is my first time and I'm nervous as you could guess. I have some questions below that maybe someone could answer for me; and some things I need a second opinion, too.

My father decided on the therapist due to insurance and the surprising fact that he has seen her before for help, too! And my mother has gone to her, since I asked. [below I've copied and pasted her "Specialities" as she has listed on her site. I dont want to link it in case I would be breaking some privacy code.] Of course I'm worried about what I should wear, what I talk about, etc. But what really bugs me is that, although I know my father is trying to help, bless him, I feel that her past sessions with my parents will taint mine due to preconceived notions or whatnot. Plus, she isn't focused on GLBT, but on family/career issues. I'm not so sure how this will turn out, but I'm not about to reject the help my father is giving me. Again, my main concern is that she might already have ideas about what I am like due to what my father and mother may/may not have said. Of course, I will tell her this when I see her, yet I DO NOT want this affecting my personal development and search for identity.

Here are her "Specialties:"

Marital Therapy

Family Therapy

Relationship issues

Individual therapy addressing but not limited to :

Depression

Stress and anxiety

Mid life re-evaluation

Career change

Spirituality

Divorce decision making and recovery

Marital re-negotiation

Personal growth and transformation

Education:

M.A. in Community Counseling

M.Ed. in School Counseling

Clinical Member of American Association of Marriage and Family Therapist

With All Sincerity,

-London

• Forum Moderator

Hi London.

It's great that your dad is being so supportive.

But you're right I don't see anything LGBT on her specialties or certification. However she may be able to refer you to a Gender Therapist which would still get you where you need to be while honoring you dads wishes that you see this therapist. If she makes the referral then everybody should be happy.

But if she isn't supportive you will have given it a try and can still seek a different therapist.

Good luck with your first visit-it is a step on your journey

JJ

• Admin

London, I would give her a shot and see if she can help you, and if you two develop a rapport.

Some members have had good results with general practice-type therapists. Some have colleagues with gender experience that they can call on for advice, and some are willing to learn. She could also refer you to a colleague if she feels that she can't help you.

Don;t worry about what to say. The first session is likely to be guided by her questions, as she gets to know you. You can expect general questions like, why do you think you need therapy, what do you know about being transgendered, why do you think you might be TG, what are your earliest memories about wanting to be the opposite gender?

Its natural to be nervous, but I'm sure once you get there and start talking, you will do just fine. Having someone sympathetic to talk with is like opening a relief valve and letting off steam. The words will just come pouring out.

Good luck hon, and let us know how it turns out.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie