• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Virginia Governor's Relative Comes Out, And Speaks Out

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Hard to say whether this is going to help our cause or hurt it. Time will tell.

I give her credit for trying to help and for speaking out for all of us.

The article, while it tries to be fair, contains a number of things I find offensive, like starting the piece with a description of her clothing, and a pic of her putting on makeup. It also describes her as a "man in the process of becoming a woman," rather than as a transwoman. At least they pronoun her correctly. See for yourself.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/15/AR2010071506262.html

Carolyn Marie

Guest Sam_P

'transgendered brother-in-law' :blink: uhhh.. article fail

I do wonder how much is just journalists' unfamiliarity with trans people and how much is intentional snubs on occasions like this. I like to hope it's the former and more occasions for journalists to report on trans issues will eventually educate them! As such, is it worth composing a message with suggested improvements?

Guest Donna Jean

Oh my goodness...what a mixed bag we have here....

Congratz on Robyn for trying to promote Trans rights in that state....

Boo, hiss....for the "putting on makeup" picture....

And a "man becoming a woman"? what is that all about?

I think Sam hit it correctly, though...

The press is ignorant of the terms and protocol with us....But by publishing it that way, it just promotes more of the same...

Good find, Carolyn!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest mia 1

As they say in Hollywood there is no bad publicity....people are reading this article and have no idea of the nuances of our community..a man becoming a woman is just fine and hurts no one. It makes people aware and gives off no bad vibes...as far as the gen’l population is concerned that is what transition is..changing from one gender to the next..and putting on make up photo...an eye-catcher it is what we do. Good for the POST how do you think Fox news would handle this....i

Guest ShannonA23

I don't know, I think this a a case of "good initiative, bad judgment".

Being openly trans is one thing, making it completely public and using it politically is another.

I do wish her the best but I disagree with the mode she is using.

Shannon

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 76 Guests (See full list)

• VickySGV
    • SamC