• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Something I've Been Thinking About Gt's

Guest jazz92

6 members have voted

1. 1. do you think it would help if most GT

• yes
    • no
    • don

Guest jazz92

i was thinking about this while stuck in traffic earlier, that if gender therapists had some sort of gender dysphoria, as they would be able to understand the subject better and that they'll be able to guide patients though the process of transitioning from a first hand prospective and if anybody has any thoughts on the matter at hand please share

love ya's xoxo

Here's what I think:

Would it help the patient/client? Sure, of course it would. Would it drastically cut down on the number of available GTs if that were made a requirement? Yes. Think about it -- how many of us have the means and the drive to get that much education? How many of those people want to go into gender therapy? That's a small fraction of our population, and we're not a massive population to begin with. I think the availability has to be given higher priority.

It's an interesting idea though.

Pól

Guest Donna Jean

Well, it's always said that GT's understand our condition, but not us inside...

If a GT was Trans themselves....It would make a more immediate connection!

My thought...

Donna Jean

Guest KimberlyF

I'd guess they'd be more passionate about their jobs on average, which doesn't mean better automatically.

Have all of the top 10 cancer docs in this country had cancer?

Or OCD therapists had OCD?

Would that make either better?

I don't need my doc to know how it feels to have a broken arm if I have one. I just need him to know how to set it.

Guest Donna Jean

I don't need my doc to know how it feels to have a broken arm if I have one. I just need him to know how to set it.

Karen......

I've always thought that it would be cool to have some sort of instrument where the doctor would grab one side and you the other...

They always want you to describe the pain you have...(Mental or physical....)

If for an instant the doctor could feel exactly what you are feeling, I think that treatment would be better served...

Just a daydream...

Donna Jean

• Forum Moderator

Karen......

I've always thought that it would be cool to have some sort of instrument where the doctor would grab one side and you the other...

They always want you to describe the pain you have...(Mental or physical....)

If for an instant the doctor could feel exactly what you are feeling, I think that treatment would be better served...

Just a daydream...

Donna Jean

You just know you'd hear-"This is just gonna hurt a little bit" less often and "Let me numb that for you" a whole lot more.

And they'd never again have to say "Now that wasn't so bad was it?"

:lol:

JJ

Guest sarah f

I am lucky in that my GT is part of the LGBT society. She is wonderful and I think it does help in her understanding where we come from. I also am lucky that my doctor is post op MTF. Wow did I get lucky to stumble in to these two wonderful ladies.

Guest Donna Jean

You just know you'd hear-"This is just gonna hurt a little bit" less often and "Let me numb that for you" a whole lot more.

And they'd never again have to say "Now that wasn't so bad was it?"

:lol:

JJ

LOL...right, JJ....

I think you'd hear a whole lot more...*WHOA! DANG!*

Donna Jean

Guest jazz92

i wasn't saying that they HAVE to have it but mainly that they would understand it more if they went though it them selves instead of reading case studies and speaking with patients/clients, and karenF i agree about that it doesn't automatically mean they'll be better as they could rush though to get someone on hormones and/or surgeries when they aren't ready or if that's what they would want to do but also this has happened with a cisgendered therapist. But the point i was meant to put a cross was mainly about understanding which i think i completely missed.