• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Much Do You Spend On Hormones?

Guest Natalie92

Guest Natalie92

DISCLAIMER - I'm going to say this right away because I know if I don't one of the mods will get on me because they misinterpreted the meaning of my post: I am not in any way shape or form asking about hormone dosage or what specific hormones I should take.

Obviously since I start college in 3 weeks :D I'm going to be pretty broke for the next few years. For budgeting purposes, I'd like to know about how much money those of you on HRT spend on your hormones. My college will fill prescriptions for cheap (as in the cost to make the pills - period. no profit for them whatsoever), but they don't take insurance, so if it costs more than $20 (the copay for prescriptions on my insurance) a bottle to make, I'd be better off going to the Rite Aid 5 blocks down. I know I may need to take different amounts and different pills than the rest of you guys, but I'd like to have a ballpark figure if I could so I can start budgeting.

Any other cost cutting tips you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

Natalie

Guest NatalieRene

I am prescribed 9 months of estrace at a time and it costs roughly $20 per three months (3 refills). I'm currently prescribed spiro for 3 months. It costs me $10 per refill. I'm hoping after my next checkup in aq couple weeks my spiro can be extended to six months to so I won't need checkups as often.

In six months the pills themself cost me $70. However up until recently I had to have monthly checkups toi make sure I was handeling the medication without problem. Each visit cost me $222 except the first which was $650. Once I'm down to just the annual checkup hrt is still going to be costing me $362 annualy.

It's not cheap.

Guest ASHLEY 598

ok my aunt is a pharmacist and she sees people buying um for like 300 dollars or more for a bottle. i dont know if thats the real price or not but thats what my aunt told me

Guest Donna Jean

I take pretty much the generic dosage as most here and I pay $70 every three months at Wal Mart...

I can live with that...

Donna Jean

• Admin

I take Spiro, Finesteride and estrogen patches, all two month supply. I pay $25 for all three, at a

government subsidized LGBT center. No complaints from me. :)

Carolyn Marie

Guest sarah f

I pay co-pays for each of mine since it goes on my insurance plan. I pay 10 dollars each for E and Spiro. I pay 25 dollars for P. This is for a one month supply each. Overall I am ok with this amount. I wish I got it cheaper but I will pay what I have to for hormones.

Now as far as my doctor visits go, I only pay 20 dollars for the visit no matter what they do. You might check into this side because it can be very expensive without insurance.

Good Luck

Guest krysten

wow im so jealous of everyone elses prices :(

i dont even have insurance so im stuck with around $100 a month i think... it might be a tad bit lower since a bottle of spiro lasts a lil more then a month for me but still...expensiveness grrrr

Guest Donna Jean

wow im so jealous of everyone elses prices :(

i dont even have insurance so im stuck with around $100 a month i think... it might be a tad bit lower since a bottle of spiro lasts a lil more then a month for me but still...expensiveness grrrr

WOW!

That's a lot!

Hon...I don't have insurance and I pay about $70 every three months!

Donna Jean

Guest Miles

Testosterone costs me about $120 every three months.

The syringes are about $5 for every three months.

plus band aids and alcohol swabs, which I get for free.

-Miles

[transguy]

Guest Lillet Coll

$30/month for medroxypr, estradiol, spironolact, and finasteride. The spironolact and finasteride are covered by my insurance, the other two are not. They both have a generic for $10/each though. So, yeah, $360 a year.

Guest Jo-I-Dunno

Target has spirolactenone and estradiol on their $4 generics list. I don't think it has anything to do with insurance there.

Me? There's a Walgreens at my LGBT clinic with a patient discount. I get my estradiol injections there ($80-is for a 5-month amount), and I get my spiro at Target, $8 since it's double their usual $4 dosage.

Pretty affordable I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

is walmarts prices the same nation wide

My educated guess is that the prices are similar, but not exactly the same.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Melanie Dawn

I pay $5 each for E and spiro and I think like $7 for my medroxiprogesterone (i think that's what its called, i just started it last month).

My wife has decent insurance

Melanie Dawn

Guest penumbra

Oh, this was a concern for me as well. I wasn’t sure if insurance would cover this sort of medication or not. My co-pays on generics is like $3 and name-brand can run anywhere from $9 to $25 per prescription, though I think they only do it on a month-by-month basis. Also, talking to my GT she accepts my insurance…but haven’t gotten a price quote yet (I’m just starting). Though I figure it can’t be much different from my psychotherapist (which my psychiatrist is making me see for this issue). My psychotherapist is running $25 per visit but they are all male (no offense) but I just feel more comfortable and open to a female therapist. Is this at all any accurate is what I wonder, and will my GT possibly have a higher co-pay than a psychotherapist? If there is no difference, I’d just rather see the GT and not the psychotherapist since it seems like my psychiatrist and psychotherapist are trying to persuade me that this is not for me and that I am just crazy for thinking like this.

Sorry for intruding on your post, but it was a question I had as well

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 81 Guests (See full list)

• Hope32
    • Sol
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • April Marie
    • Davie
    • MaybeRob
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Romi
    Newest Member
    Romi

1. Froggiesprog
      Froggiesprog
      (20 years old)
    2. Kara Zor-El
      Kara Zor-El
      (41 years old)
    3. LaurenMichelle
      LaurenMichelle
    4. Liana
      Liana
      (53 years old)
    5. Murph90
      Murph90
      (34 years old)
    • Adrianna Danielle
      Happy news for me,found out the 24 year old daughter I am the possible father,I am her bio dad.DNA test that was done confirmed it.She told happy LGBT pride month to me.She is happy to find her bio dad finally.She is staying for the weekend
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I personally don't understand how wearing panties is comfortable for much of anybody.  I'm AFAB, but there's just too much naturally, um...down there....for panties to be comfortable.  Consequences of being intersex, I guess.  I'd suggests some slightly-looser shorts instead.  There are some that are marketed to women, but have a kind of androgynous look to them.  Wish I knew a brand name, but I could ask my friends.  Both of my trans friends are non-op, so they have no doubt experienced how you're feeling.   Ugh... I get really irritable when GF keeps trying to put me back in female underwear because she says I "look pretty" that way.  I never thought I looked pretty that way or any other way, and the pinching/pulling/chafing combined with the overly-noticeable outlines of....stuff.... just makes it no-go for me.  Last time she approached me with an underwear item, I warned her she was going to get bit.   
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I don't think so.  People may disagree with me, but I don't believe there's such a thing as "gay culture," "trans culture," "White culture," "Hispanic culture," or similar terms because those are really big umbrellas.    My background is Greek, and I live in the Mid-South part of the USA.  I share some of my trans-ness with my trans friends, and some aspects of our backgrounds and beliefs are similar.  But honestly, its impossible for me and the average trans person from California to agree on much of anything past the color of an orange and the fact that we don't quite fit in our bodies.    
    • Vidanjali
      Just heard from surgeon. Surgery successful and she's awake and resting well. Spleen was large about only about 100ml blood loss, probably all from bleeding into the mass & not from any rupturing. Dr didn't see anything else worrying except a liver nodule which she biopsied although she suspects the nodule is just age-related. She's anemic but they're holding off on blood transfusion for now bc they believe she'll recover naturally. About a week to get biopsy report. And Dr said if she continues to do as well as she has so far, she may be able to come home tomorrow. So best news possible so far. ❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️
    • Hope32
      Well she did choose me in the end not him. Just frustrated that it was so hard to get her to do that.
    • April Marie
      Yes there is!
    • missyjo
      is there a zoom tonight? will try to be here after work   simple print top n floral skirt   hugs
    • KathyLauren
      I am sorry to hear that your friend turned out to not be a friend at all.  But that is the bottom line: she is not a friend.  She has chosen to ally herself with him and he is toxic to be around.
    • Vidanjali
      Please pray for my precious baby lady, my Siberian husky, who is having emergency surgery this afternoon to remove her spleen and a large mass attached to it. May the surgery be successful and uncomplicated, recovery be swift and easy, and pathology be benign. She is our sunshine girl. 
    • Vidanjali
      I decided to post here in the "other faiths" forum to declare this thread non-denominational and inclusive of all faiths, creeds, philosophies, etc. I thought it would be beneficial for our community to have a thread where we could reach out with requests for prayers, thoughts, intentions, or however individuals understand the sending of good vibes. So feel free to post here. Whether or not you get direct responses to your request, know it's been received, read, and honored. And may peace and ease be yours. 
    • LittleSam
      Hi, you can be a trans man and be agender aswell. I know it seems like a contradiction, but I see myself as non binary and I'm accepting myself as a trans man also. You could be called trans masculinine also. If you like trans man the best though, go for it. You can be a GNC trans man.  Have you heard of gender fluid? Not saying this is you, but it does relate to what you say. Sometimes you seem genderless, more agender and sometimes more masculine. I also see myself as a bit genderfluid, but only for the masc genders. I never wear anything fem so would never consider myself a fem boy. I used to think I was , non binary, then a demi man, trans masc,  trans man. I can't pin a label to what I am. My counsellor said I may be genderfluid, but a very masc genderfluid person. I love that you hate societal gender roles, I do too! I dress like a stereotypical guy because that's my style anyway, but I won't change my hobbies or personality to suit what a "man" is.
    • Willow
      @Lydia_R   I seem to recall my mother making us cream of wheat or Quaker rolled oats in the wintertime. I don’t know about “old fashion” or “steel cut”. Now I preferred either with sugar and or berries and the cream of wheat with some milk.  I believe my older sister liked her’s with maple syrup.   as far as a “larger culture”. I think you will find that even though we all support each other there is no singular culture.  There are conservative values shared here and there are very radical everyone for the cause and rights.  I like to think that I am someplace in the middle.  No, I don’t go to Pride events nor transgender day of remembrance .  I don’t go to clubs or bars where others hang out.  I do try to hold council with others that need someone to talk to or a hug, or if I know of a group that might be helpful or a doctor, I will pass that on.  But yes I am out of the closet, go to work and church and do everything as a woman.  The male side of me is gone.   i get asked personal questions sometimes and while I neither get mad that what they are asking is too personal, I also don’t speak out oh yes ive done this or that or plan to do this or that.  I leave it with I've done everything I intend to do, or I didn’t figure this out until I was 68 years old because I knew nothing about what being transgender was. You have those that were kicked out of their home, I wasn’t, those that got divorced, I didn’t and those that have to put up with others who refuse to accept your gender, your rights to be who you are, and that I do get every day.   so is there a representative culture for being transgender?  Tell me I’m wrong, but I don’t think so I think we are a suppress percentage of the population that are getting braver but who get trampled all the time.   Willow
    • Carolyn Marie
    • Willow
      No not really.  But I’ll survive.
    • Mikayla2024
      Hi Ashley,   Thank you so much the reply !!!   That makes total sense with trusting the process and knowing that it’s not a sprint but rather like a marathon like you were saying.    So far so good with the Spiro 2 days in. Other than peeing a lot lol. But, no other noticeable side effects which I’m happy to report. However, I am MUCH happier that I’ve started at least somewhere. Gender Dysphoria symptoms are VERY real and starting treatment has made me SO much happier.   But, I will definitely look into the other options for E as you mentioned as there are definitely other options to consider other than the systemic route, thank you!!    p.s also trust in the process yourself and don’t be too hard on yourself. You’re a beautiful girl inside and out no matter what. “Patience is a virtue” is a proverb I’ve always lived by.   Much love girly 😊❤️
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.