• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Looks Like My Parents Will Never Know

Guest Melanie Dawn

Guest Melanie Dawn

So, I sent an email to my father over a week ago about the defense of marriage act (i think in the NE somewhere being over turned), and my dad said give them benefits, but doesn't agree with gay marriage. I had no idea just how closed minded a religious democrat could be! wow.../cry

Melanie Dawn

Hi Melanie,

People can make sweeping statements when it's impersonal. Bring the same focus on a loved one, and sometimes the opinions are moved aside. We've seen it happen here; is it possible that your parents would be more understanding than you expect?

I never had to cross that bridge - they're gone now. I still haven't come out to my sister - maybe next week when we go camping together. It feels wrong for her not to know the whole person that I am. And I feel bad that my parents never knew me.

I do hope that you can find a way - best of luck to you!

Love, Kat

Mhmm, my mom used to be all "gay's and all are pretty messed up. they don't need to ruin America with their marriage" Since I came out she pulled a full 180 and I think that's pretty awesome. She's still very religious through and through as well. People can surprise you. :\

Guest Clockwork

As of this minute, i don't have plan to tell my parents. I figure once i get a place of my own and start hrt and what not, just lose contact. I'm sure peopl can change given family members and such, but i don't think my parents will be accepting of it. They'll love me yea, but i'd rather them accept me.

Guest Emily Ray

I wouldn't take it personal dear.

My father always seemed anti-gay rights, but now he doesn't care what sex I bring home as long as I'm happy.

Huggs,

Emily

Guest Melanie Dawn

I wouldn't take it personal dear.

My father always seemed anti-gay rights, but now he doesn't care what sex I bring home as long as I'm happy.

Huggs,

Emily

My father used to say that after i told him i was wiccan... as long as i believed in something.

this is a whole different situation.

Melanie Dawn

Guest Emily Ray

Melanie Dawn,

I hope someday you find the courage to let them decide for themselves what they believe. It is no different from my perspective. I don't think you are being fair to them or yourself. You may have read some of the wonderful messages my mother has sent me recently. If I would not have taken the risk of being honest with them I would never have the knowledge that she loves me, the real me Emily not Brandon. I risked nothing and gained a love I never had.

Huggs

Emily

Guest ~Brenda~

When you are ready, the time will come when you will come out to your parents. In spite of all seemingly prejudices expressed by them, you will be surprised at what understanding they are truely capable of.

Never rule out the inevitable.

I do hope that you know the joy of your family knowing the true you :)

It is wonderful :)

Love

Brenda