• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

So What Do You Call Yourself?

Guest praisedbeherhooves

Guest praisedbeherhooves

I go by non-binary, since I don't want to classify my gender as anything specific, but I sure as heck am outside the binary.

I don't think there were this many labels years ago when I first started identifying, lol. But I have been "agender" for years so I feel most comfortable with that label. I feel it suits my mind well, as I think of myself as neither female or male. Since I have started looking this stuff up again, I also use genderqueer as a broad non-binary identity, since it seems to be well known and sounds nice.

Beyond that I'm not sure, partially because at the moment I'm unsure if I want to live the rest of my life as female or male... because despite being neither on the inside, that doesn't really work for everyday situations, unfortunately, because of driver's license, bathrooms, lack of good gender neutral pronoun, etc. etc. I think I might qualify for the "transmasculine" label.

I used to not like the angrogyne label so much, but after using it here, it's not so bad. But I also feel like that describes appearances more than identity, or at least that's how I usually see it used. That and I have this horrible pet peeve about it being abbreviated "andro" because that just means man.

I call myself Sally!

I hate labels so i seldom use them but i am not offended by them either, i just ignore them.

Love ya,

Sally (see that's what I call myself)

I call myself Sally!

I hate labels so i seldom use them but i am not offended by them either, i just ignore them.

Love ya,

Oh you stole my line.....bravo and since you posted this 90 mins before I did...I can't sue for copywrite infringements....

That's it I'll call myself SUE!!

Guest Elizabeth K

Darn - I go for a serious answer - and all those around me... dang!

But so true - we have so many labels and they change so often, we hafta use 'post-it' notes.

So call me Lizzy..

Or Liz

Or Lizzbet

Or Elizabeth

Or one of the 900 other variations

GRIN

E

Yeah, I was kind of hoping for more serious answers... but then keep coming back to none... especially in the androgyne forum, where things can be much more complicated than "man" or "woman."

This isn't a "what's you name?" thread... I don't believe that was the intent... though I guess "what do you call youself?" was too vague of a title.

Oh well. Not really any different than going in the androgyne chat only to have people pop in, say "andro? that's interesting! I'm not one" and then leave again.

Guest Melanie Dawn

I call myself Sally!

Love ya,

Dang it! that's what i was gonna say... well, i mean I call myself Melanie Dawn... hehe

I do refer to myself as a transitioning male to female transgendered woman (ya a mouth full..) best to go by Mel (to my friends)

Melanie Dawn

Guest Jo-I-Dunno

A boy who wants to be a girl who acts like a boy.

Once I get there, I'll be:

A girl who acts like a boy and used to be a boy.

There's not really a label for it, so I'll make one up. Transtomboy.

Hey, I like that. Transtomboy.

Guest Virginia_

Bigender. I become dysphoric if I stay in either binary extreme for extended periods of time and am uncomfortable blending the two. It was a painful process to come to the realization that I need to express myself solidly as a girl AND a guy. I self-identify as a woman who prefers to express herself as a guy and is unwilling to give up her femininity.

My answer was completely serious, when you meet someone on the street and you exchange names do they say, "I'm Roger, a biological male with only the slightest hint of a feminine side yet I am sensitive and caring." - NO!

They say, "Hi, I'm Roger."

That's it.

I am just Sally unless someone asks me for more information but since that is rather rude no one has asked me yet and I most likely will not answer and if I do it could get rather long because I do hate labels, we are all different but get one label, no thank you.

Love ya,

Sally

I love the ability of the LGBT community to allow people to define their own labels (or remain label-less). Nice one! :D

This is an interesting thread because as a binary person I find genderqueer/non-binary issues less intuitive. I'm attempting to be more non-binary aware so will keep sticking my nose into your threads if you don't mind! I think it's important that we all educate ourselves in order to help each other out and raise awareness in society as a whole.

Guest Solstice

Haha that is clever. I am pretty much the exact opposite...a girl who wants to be a boy that is feminine haha

Haha that is clever. I am pretty much the exact opposite...a girl who wants to be a boy that is feminine haha

Me too! Or I feel like that's how things are going to work out... but maybe being a masculine female will work out too. I'm not sure.

Which reminds me of this song, "Masculine Women! Feminine Men!":

Guest Chrysee

My oldest daughter had what are called the 'white trash mudflap girls' tatooed on her butt. A friend asked me why she would insult herself so? Perhaps it was the whole 'reverse' thing? You know, wearing an insulting label with a pride, as when police in the Sixties began sporting pins that read: 'PIG.' Now maybe that's why I love the term 'genderqueer' so. I have gay friends who don't wish to hear the word 'queer' under any circumstance, but suddenly hear I am, a part of the LGBT community, and I call myself that. I actually told a friend today that I would love to have that word on the back of a denim jacket done in rhinestones.

Doubt this was of much help, but sometimes I just can't seem to shut up.

Chrysalis

P.S. I reread a lot of my posts the other day, and collectively they reminded me of a line from the film Avatar, which I guess I can't actually quote. But, if applied to me, the line would describe me as an infant who, faced with life, knows only to raise a ruckus.

Mm...androgynous with a slight male leaning, I guess. I prefer the male pronouns but don't necessarily want everything that comes along with being male- social expectations and all that- so that would be the best way of describing my gender identity.

~GKay

Guest Larson

I came across the term GenderPunk recently and decided it's the coolest label ever. It was lumped in with Androgyne and GenderQueer, but I have yet to do any further research to what it exactly means.

Whatever it's "supposed" to mean, I like it for explaining both my identity and my ideology. \m/

:lol:

Why so serious? :P

Though if you want detailed, I don't really care enough about what I should be called. I don't know if androgyne is entirely accurate, if maybe I'm something else non binary and just don't understand androgyny enough to know better but it's not really a big deal anymore. I know how I feel, and that is a spirit or consciousness that is indifferent to gender, given a body with male parts. I can be both masculine or feminine, and I can be so without caring whether it's masculine or feminine. I am attracted to and enjoy behaviors and traits that can be labeled both, and again, it's not really because of it's label, but because I like it.

So I guess if I must call myself something, I'd like to be called an individual.

Guest Maria (Hilda)

So I guess if I must call myself something, I'd like to be called an individual.

*slow clapping*

-wipes a tear away from eyes-

*claps really fast*

Brilliantly said.