• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Metoidioplasty

Guest Father Ford

Guest harvester52

I was looking at metoidioplasty (with urethral lengthening and testicular implants) results on Transster.com. Most folks who've had the surgery can urinate standing up, which would be my ultimate goal. Some look pretty good, especially with the testicular implants. Has anybody here had this surgery, and if so, how are your results? Would you recommend it?

• Forum Moderator
I was looking at metoidioplasty (with urethral lengthening and testicular implants) results on Transster.com. Most folks who've had the surgery can urinate standing up, which would be my ultimate goal. Some look pretty good, especially with the testicular implants. Has anybody here had this surgery, and if so, how are your results? Would you recommend it?

Meta is a much prefered surgery. It costs a lot less than the phallo does. The meta [ as you saw on Transter] does not have the length nor girth that pahllo has for intercourse. But, most transmen that have had the meta are well satisfied with it. Go to Yahoo Groups and type in metoidoplasty and there's a great group of guys on there and more pics. Also, it's an adult site basically, if you get my drift - not nasty or anything, but one can speak beyonf PG 13 ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest YaManShane

I dont know which one Im gonna get really. I want the meto becuase its cheaper, and seems to be a more simple procedure, but I still want it to be a normal length for intercourse thas real important to me

Guest StrandedOutThere

I'm still kind of questioning whether I want bottom surgery at all. The rate of complications with either is kind of scary. I might change my mind as my transition progresses though.

Guest CharlieRose
I'm still kind of questioning whether I want bottom surgery at all. The rate of complications with either is kind of scary. I might change my mind as my transition progresses though.

Yeah, especially with urethral lengthening... I read one guy's transition blog and he got a meta with urethral lengthening and he had blockages and leaks and stuff... Had to have another surgery and go on crutches for a matter of weeks.... It's only one person, but dear me....

Without it, what does a meta actually do? Give you a bit more length?

Guest StrandedOutThere
Yeah, especially with urethral lengthening... I read one guy's transition blog and he got a meta with urethral lengthening and he had blockages and leaks and stuff... Had to have another surgery and go on crutches for a matter of weeks.... It's only one person, but dear me....

Without it, what does a meta actually do? Give you a bit more length?

Yeah, I think I read that blog. Then there is another guy on YouTube that got meta and has had to have revisions. I think it is pretty common to need revisions when you get the urethral lengthening. However, I don't know what the actual rate of complications is. I wish that information was handy. It is hard to figure it out based on individual reports from people because 1.) people are far more likely to report bad experiences than good ones and 2.) you never know how many trouble-free cases there are for every horror story you hear.

You don't need much length to stand and pee. The release with a urethral hookup should do that...if it works. If you just want the length, you can get a release and stop there.

Some people get testicular implants too. I've heard bad stuff and not so bad stuff. One thing is that they often don't hang straight. Female-born folks don't have as much space between their legs, so it's hard to fit the new equipment in place. Also, I personally don't like the idea of having non-organic implants floating around in my body. That's just me. Oh...and I always wonder if you could possibly have a "blow out" if you get the implants.

I feel like I just can't win with bottom surgery. I mean...I want all the things that a bioguy has, but I don't want to risk all the problems that come with the current surgeries.

Dr. Meltzer has done hundreds of urethra lengthenings in metas and only two men had complications. One of those resolved on its own. I don't know what the complication rate for other surgeons is, but I do know they're much higher. Part of the reason why his rates are so low is that he requires a vaginectomy and places scrotal implants only when the new urethra has healed (three months after the first surgery). Dr. Meltzer has a urologist and a gynecologist who work with him.

• 1 month later...
Guest TBForLife

What about doing the meta and the scrotal implants and the urethral lengthening WITHOUT the vaginectomy? I happen to like my cavity a little too much to give it up while risking my clitoral sensitivity as well!

Guest J-Walker

Yeah, if an amazing surgery doesn't arise in the next decade I'm probably not going to get bottom surgery, and if I do, I'd get a meta and then get phallo after the fact. I have two friends, one who got metoidioplasty and the other who got phalloplasty.

The friend who got the phallo is not happy with it. He tells me constant horror stories about people who have it and then lose all feeling, etc. The friend who got meta seems pretty happy with it (Other than the size). He has not gotten rid of the extra gear down there, but he plans to get testicular implants in a few years when he can afford it.

As far as what TB said, not getting a vaginectomy seems to do well most of the time, but I only have 1 referrence and then hundreds of internet claims that may be happy with less. Do your research. It's really difficult but the more you know, the better. Just weigh the good with the bad, and don't do anything you'll regret.

Dr. Meltzer has done hundreds of urethra lengthenings in metas and only two men had complications. One of those resolved on its own. I don't know what the complication rate for other surgeons is, but I do know they're much higher. Part of the reason why his rates are so low is that he requires a vaginectomy and places scrotal implants only when the new urethra has healed (three months after the first surgery). Dr. Meltzer has a urologist and a gynecologist who work with him.

See, I think thats the main matter. Who is the surgeon and is there a urologist present or is that surgeon a urologist himself. The main surgeon doing FtM srs where I live is a urologist. And apparently good as a urologist. He uses the lining from the vaginectomy as his new urethral tubing -a technique that makes his incidence of issues like fissulas (sp?) very uncommon. I've heard him critiqued for a lot of things (most notably lousey bedside <_< ) but as a urological surgeon no complaints. He's also one of the most expensive guys that do it though from what I can tell. The "issue" surgically that I'm aware of with him was in regard to a certain patient (yes someone I know) who wanted his phallo done more than once for "personal reasons" (nothing wrong with the original performance).