• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Finally Did It!

Guest StrandedOutThere

Guest StrandedOutThere

I know this is a small step, but I really wanted to share. After several days of agonizing about it, I finally emailed a therapist (Sam Allen, out of NC) about making an appointment for phone counseling!

This is really exciting for me because I've never really talked about my gender issues with anyone in person. I've only recently let myself seriously consider getting any kind of treatment. Up until now my feeling was that I should just "be a man" - so to speak, deal with what nature gave me, and make the best of it. So far, I've been able to do that reasonably well. Only occasionally have I had rough patches where people would really get on my case and tell me that I need to work on acting more like a girl.

I have no idea if transitioning is the right choice for me. I do know that I have never been completely comfortable with my body or my current gender role. The more male-like I am perceived, the happier I am. Anyway, I wouldn't say I am confused, but I am definitely uncertain. Hopefully talking to a therapist will help me sort some things out.

Right now I am at a very uncertain point in my life. The decisions that I make now are going to have a long standing impact. I'm within a year of finishing my degree and starting my career as a researcher. I've been dating/living with someone for 3 years and he wants to marry me. Up until now I have kinda just let life happen to me. Maybe after 30 years it is time to consider letting me happen to my life.

Guest Snow Angel
Up until now I have kinda just let life happen to me. Maybe after 30 years it is time to consider letting me happen to my life.

That's quite a good way to put things. Remember that you don't have to do anything you don't want to. Keep in mind that transition is a last resort and should only be considered if the only other options are total misery or death. If you can be happy with who you are and not have to spend all that money and pain on surgery/hormones, great. If you can't, then good luck with transition and I support you no matter what you do. You've taken a big step by finding a therapist, because it's their job to help you figure out exactly what you want to do.

Guest JayJaye

Way cool, dude!

I had my first appointment with a gender therapist today as well, seeing how my regular therapist turned unsupportive after 3 visits (3 visits after coming out to her). OMG what a huge difference.

Good luck, man. You'll get this sorted out.

I went from total shock and denial when I first put it all together, to omg how can I NOT transition, to let's get this party started yesterday!! LOL all within 2 months...

Jay

Guest Jack Solomon

Fantastic! Good luck, StrandedOutThere! You have a great head on your shoulders. I also had the feeling/resignation that I should just 'be a man' and make the best of what I was born with - but the problem with me was that it was killing me to do that! I was eventually unable to function. I also hated when people told me I should act this way and that because I was supposedly a girl. It caused me a lot of mental distress because I would dwell on the things people had said in their ignorance. Anyway, I'm so glad you have made this step.

Also, congratulations JayJaye on your first appointment. :)

Solomon

Guest StrandedOutThere

Thanks everyone! Even after several hours, and a trip to see Iron Man (totally awesome, BTW)....I remain excited. Making the decision feels like a weight has been lifted!

Jay, congrats on your appointment too! That stinks how your regular therapist became "unsupportive". As long as I live, I'll never understand "people".

Guest Snow Angel
I went from total shock and denial when I first put it all together, to omg how can I NOT transition, to let's get this party started yesterday!! LOL all within 2 months...

That's well stated. It sounds exactly like me.