• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Commenting On Poetry

JJ

• Forum Moderator

While I comment on much -sometimes most of what I read on the forms I seldom-almost never-comment on poetry. And I know that I am not alone in this

Why?

I am not sure. I read the poems. I appreciate, value and am often touched by them. But i can't seem to comment. It distresses me. I want to tell my friends I understand-that I love their poem-and I feel like I let them down because i don't.

Maybe that is the problem. Maybe because poetry exposes the poet it makes me fear I can't respond adequately. That anything I say will fail to live up to the feeling invested in the poem.

If I misspeak in answer to a thread that is one thing-but to misspeak or misunderstand a poem is so much more personal. To me.

I love your poems

I will try to begin to respond. It's going to be a baby steps thing. So please understand my lack of comment is not because I wasn't touched but often because I was too deeply touched.

Love

JohnJ

Guest Elizabeth K

I agree - sometimes its a situation where no comments are appropriate.

I guess what is distressing to the writer is when no comments are made, it slip-slides away to oblivion! Then - no one else sees it. That's all.

Lizzy

Yes, I certainly want to keep those inspired to be encouraged to keep posting. Especially if they are new to composing Poetry, and need encouraging words to continue.

Huggs,

Opal

Me, too.

I think poetry is a very personal form of expression. To my mind, putting words into sentances and allowing modifying or explanatory passages (or long winded exposition) allows the writer to maybe come close to what he or she is trying to convey.

I've written poetry and shared it, but I'm not even sure with sharing it, if what I'm trying to say can be understood well. Not because I doubt the reader, but my poetry is written for a moment and a place and a person. I, myself, will never ever be at that place again, close maybe, but not at it. If I can't recreate the moment and therefore the feeling, I can understand, when reading others, that my interpretation will be from my experiences and I wonder on the validity of them.

Also, I'm a throwback. When I write, I fell very comfortable writing in rhyming verse to a specific meter. Today's poetry is all about free and blank verse. Because I don't personally feel comfortable with it, I wonder if that may affect my understanding of others that I read.

Here are the first lines of the poem I'm proudest of

I stand on the shore gazing out o’er the sea

The moon glistens above, raining its beams on me

The breeze washes my body, I feel its briny smell.

The surf breaks against the land; I hear its wet yell.

I doubt I could come anywhere close to that today.

Hugs

Chloë

Guest Donna Jean

I know that the ones that post poetry want responses and it feels good to have them...

But, like everyone said above, it's hard sometimes for people to respond for personal reasons...

One thing I'd like everyone that posts poetry to remember is that sometimes a poem may have 4 replies....

But be sure to look in the "Views" column, too..there can be many people having read it....

Still not better than a nice response, but some consolulation...

Donna Jean

Guest Katrina Reann

John the beauty in a poem is that it can mean so many things to so many people. Yes it is an expression of who the writer is but you don't always have to get inside the writers head to understand it from their view point, you can simply read it and see how it can apply to you or something you are going through. I know for me it makes my day when someone tells me how a poem of mine has moved them and why. So don't be afraid to comment, just say what is on your heart. After all, that is what we are doing when we write them...Huggsss

Guest Elizabeth K

Me, too.

I think poetry is a very personal form of expression. To my mind, putting words into sentances and allowing modifying or explanatory passages (or long winded exposition) allows the writer to maybe come close to what he or she is trying to convey.

I've written poetry and shared it, but I'm not even sure with sharing it, if what I'm trying to say can be understood well. Not because I doubt the reader, but my poetry is written for a moment and a place and a person. I, myself, will never ever be at that place again, close maybe, but not at it. If I can't recreate the moment and therefore the feeling, I can understand, when reading others, that my interpretation will be from my experiences and I wonder on the validity of them.

Also, I'm a throwback. When I write, I fell very comfortable writing in rhyming verse to a specific meter. Today's poetry is all about free and blank verse. Because I don't personally feel comfortable with it, I wonder if that may affect my understanding of others that I read.

Here are the first lines of the poem I'm proudest of

I stand on the shore gazing out o’er the sea

The moon glistens above, raining its beams on me

The breeze washes my body, I feel its briny smell.

The surf breaks against the land; I hear its wet yell.

I doubt I could come anywhere close to that today.

Hugs

Chloë

You could. Try it.

Lizzy

Will have to admit, John, it hurts when I post a poem and no one response to it, but I understand your feelings and explaination given. How do you comment on something, which is of a highly personal nature, when you do not how that person will react. Or the posted poem touches a raw nerve that you thought you had dealt with, years ago. I think, you have to take that plunge and share your feelings on the poem, taking a chance like the original poster has. Often, I come back to a poem, repeatly, when it moves but can't find the right words to express how to them, until the words come to me. My best advice, John, is response to those poems, which you feel comfortable doing so and progress from there. Just my two Cdn cents here.

therisa

I just went back to the earliest poems submitted in 2007. Most of those had very few comments. One had one or two comments, and nearly a thousand views!

The poems forum goes back 32 pages to 2007, but by page 28 I was already in to 2009. That tells me we are getting more active with poetry as a group, which I feel is wonderful progress.

It is not a competition here. It is a means of expression, often of love, hope, and pain.

Thank you to those who share of themselves through their poetry.

Huggs,

Opal

Guest miss kindheart

I think answering any post or poem depends on how you feel about it at the time you read it, and there are far too many factors to try and explain or justify.

I find that many of the poems here are written about sadness, depression, and even suicidal thoughts.

Things that if they were posted in the suicidal depression forum would surly be cause for alarm. The words and feelings are the same, it is just a delivery method we call a poem.

I think answering a poem is a good thing, most everyone here start a topic because they want feedback, or maybe even help.

So don't be afraid to say what you feel when you read it.

:wub: vanna

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Maria (Hilda)

I find it really hard to respond to poems, as well.

I know when I write mine, sometimes I play with poetic devices, but it mainly is just my heart pouring out to the screen.

Comments are always nice, but having that freedom to express whatever whenever, well, to me it means the world. It also means that it breaks my bubbi little heart when I can't think of something to say to someone's poetry - mainly Therisa's. I know her Poetry style like the back of my hand, and I try to read every poem she writes, and I know thats something so personal to her that I want to say something to her. But what?

Its so difficult to find those words, because so many seem insulting to the poet. So we avoid commenting all together.

Great topic, JJ. I think it expresses what a lot of us feel.

Love, Maria.