• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hello, All

Guest julianicolevassallo

Guest julianicolevassallo

Hello, everyone. Just a short intro. I'm a 53 year old pre-op transsexual, very early in my transition. I've been through the initial stages of the WPATH standards, and intend to proceed to GRS. I first read about transsexualism when 13 yrs old and was devastated. I was reading an old article about Christine Jorgensen, and instantly realized why i was different. I kept this terrible knowledge to myself until the age of 29, when I disclosed my secret to my alcoholism counselors. Their attitude was typical for the day (1983), informing me that I was mistaken, and was most likely a gay man in denial. I knew otherwise, but gave up hope of ever having the courage to confront the issue. Much transpired in the ensuing years to cement in my mind the certitude of my transsexualism. A second marriage was going to be the thing to save me from myself. It didn't. I thought for certain that I would go to my grave with my problem hidden. I didn't. The bottom of the bag broke. I thank God now it did. Once finally out, I began to experience all the negatives that go along with the stigma that remains with the transgendered. I lost family members I never thought would ever turn their back on me. I've struggled to keep the remaining relationships in my life. But none of the pain I've gone through can keep me from the joy I feel from finally being free.

Guest Snow Angel

Welcome. Your story is so sad, but pretty typical for that time period. As time goes on more people are educated or accepting. I wish you luck on your journey.

• Root Admin

Hi julianicolevassallo,

Welcome to Laura's Playground. Thank you for sharing your story with us. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

MaryEllen :)