• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Binders

Guest brandt

Guest brandt

has anyone actually made a homemade one? because i was thinking of just making a homemade one instead of buying one. because i need one in less than a week and i'm not sure if its going to come in time once i order it online. but think, i'm 16 in a few days without a credit card and i find that it is hard to order online. and i know my mom won't buy it for me and i tried asking my sister but she hasn't responded and she is busy and she is in college without a job because my mother wont let her have a job so she needs the money she gets from my parents. so my last resort is a homemade binder.

anybody wanna tell me how i should do that? haha. unless anyone could tell me how long it takes for a binder ordered off online will come in the mail? i need it before my birthday because i was going to use the binder and put a rashgaurd over it because i seriously want to go swimming and i would hate to use a bikini or what not. yuck! anyway yea please and thank you =]

Guest Rory

Hey Brandt.

Not exactly homemade but... instead of buying a 'purpose made' binder, I use a back support. Bought it from the pharmacy section in some supermarket type store. It works pretty good, it has velcro and can be adjusted easily.

want any more information just ask..

Rory

Guest harvester52

I've mentioned my method a few times. It's completely homemade out of a scarf and an ace bandage.

Buy a scarf that's wide, or one that stretches out to be really wide (enough to cover the chest). Wrap it around until it's pulled tight and binds. Secure it with safety pins. Then take the ace bandage, and wrap it OVER the scarf, pulling it tight so it evens out any lumps and holds the binder in place. Secure that with safety pins. Never use the ace bandage holders... they always come off. I learned that the hard way when I had an ace bandage tail hanging out of my shirt at school until I could make a mad rush to the nurse's bathroom. This method of binding has worked well for me. It's a little hot, and sometimes itchy, but it works. Also, make sure you wear a sports bra under the scarf. It helps hold the tumors in place, and you need it to tuck the first end of the scarf into.

Hope that helps.

-BC

Guest brandt

hey thanks for those who replied. it really helps and i'm gonna try out mutiple things just to see what really works for me.

oh and rory can you tell me for more info? thanks =]

Guest Rory

Hey...ok the back brace i use is by futuro, I'll put a link of it underneath so you can see exactly what it is ( I hope ) . I don't how from experience how well a different type would wok but I have seen this particular one in most superstores...either in the pharmacy section or fitness section.

Not sure what else you want to know..I find it doesn't itch, it has ventilation holes, it fastens in the middle with velcro and has two pieces of velcro either side which stretch so you can adjust the fit more. Also it has to...cushion pads?...at the back which I cut off with a stanley knife, to make it lay flat against my back.

It cost me about $25 (in Canada ) so I would recommend it..don't think i could find anything that worked better.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/FUTURO-Stabilizing-Back...Q2em118Q2el1247

Hope this Helps some...if I didn't give you the information you wanted ask a specific question and i'll get back to you

later

Rory

Guest Drew

back braces tend to work well...unless you're running....they kind of slide down and it has this really horrible push-up bra effect. so if you're not running or you can manage to tighten the brace really well then it's a good, cheap alternative. you can get them for about 15 dollars US at most drug stores.