• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Why Exactly Do People Wear Packers?

Guest Samurai_Kid

Guest Samurai_Kid

I've never been interested in them. It doesn't seem necessarily for passing, so why wear it?

Maybe I'm just not the kind of guy that cares about that sort of stuff. I suppose it's mostly for self-related reasons.

• Admin

I'm hope my FtM brethren won't mind my jumping in here, but I believe its for the same reason that MtF's

wear breast enhancers until we have our own "girls" up front, and why we conceal our "junk" by tucking.

It's to better fit in, and better pass while in our proper gender mode. Some don't care, some won't choose to,

but that to me is the reason why.

No one will make you, Kid; you can choose to do what you want to.

Carolyn Marie

Guest AndrewK

IMO I don't think packing influences how I pass whatsoever. I think for some guys it's the feeling of stuff in their pants that makes them feel better about themselves/more confident.

I tried packing but it wasn't for me so I stopped.

Not everyone wears the same kind of clothes. With some clothes, the lack of a packer is very noticeable. With some clothes, it is not. In some environments, no one would be checking out your crotch area. In some places, it is far more common.

To say that packers have nothing to do with passing is a personal comment based on a lot of other contextual factors. It is not universally true.

That said, there are some people who jut don't feel comfortable without a packer, even if it has nothing to do with passing.

Guest Kai Reddtail

I can see why some FtMs would want to use them, but I've never found them necessary personally. Nobody seems to pay attention to that around here. THen again, I wear baggy clothes to begin with, which probably helps.

It doesn't matter anyway. If you feel better wearing one, go ahead. Don't want to? Still good.

Guest OneSmallStep

The very first time I made a diy packer (condom/hair-gel/pantyhose variety,) I was very excited and nervous to try it out. From the moment I place it in my boxers I felt "complete." The first time I went out in public, I felt completely unsure and nervous and like all eyes were on me, that some how people who were still just coming to terms with me being trans would judge me horribly, etc. Sometimes I would go out with it and I'd feel very self-conscious, leading me not to pack for a while. After waiting 9 months I finally received my mango-purchased packer in the mail. Since then I have not been without it. The momentary times it has been "away" from me, unless I'm packing for um... pleasure (which is usually when I put mine in the baby powder,) I feel like I'm missing a part of me.

Does a packer make you a man? Nope, IMO, my being a man has more to do with who I am and less to do with how my birth defect has left me. Does it help with dysphoria? For me, it does.

Also, as someone else stated, it does depend on the clothes. I have some ftm friends that they look odd to me because they aren't packing - not to say I am judging them, because I am not! Nor am I purposely checking out their crotches. However, when you are sitting and the other guy happens to be standing near you with his crotch in your face... well what can I say you notice things :P

I packed extremely rarely for a couple of years. I found it more annoying than anything. But starting about a month ago, I've been packing every day. There are a couple of reasons. One, I've been wearing slightly tighter jeans, and I find that the jeans hang better when there's something, erm, there. I also just feel more confident about my appearance when I'm wearing a packer. I know, nobody can see it, but it still makes me feel better.

Guest Batsu Maru Otoko Yo!

It's kinda like a security blanket to me, actually. It makes me feel comforted and comfortable, and I don't like to be without it very often. Even when I'm just sitting around the house doing nothing, I still wear it because...I dunno. It makes me smile to feel it sitting down there, just chillin.

Guest ShortyT

Don't have one, don't feel a need to get one anytime soon, but probably will eventually. If nothing else, then to have something there for a future boyfriend to grab on occasion. :P

Guest lvmyftm

Don't have one, don't feel a need to get one anytime soon, but probably will eventually. If nothing else, then to have something there for a future boyfriend to grab on occasion. :P

Exactly! I love that my bf packs. It is nice to feel it there when he brushes up against me or to grab a feel to let him know i want him. :)

Guest BrandonIThink

I don't often pack, but when I do, I just like the feeling of something being down there, even if I know it's not actually attached to my body. Also, when I started I was using it as a correction method. When I used to sit down, it was natural for me to cross my legs in the most feminine way possible, only doing that often offset whatever I was packing with, so I kinda trained myself out of that habit by packing :)

Guest Samurai_Kid

Maybe I don't really notice but..

Even in tight clothing, "down there" looks the same for both genders unless it's underwear. I don't see why a packer would change the appearance.

Guest My_Genesis

Maybe I don't really notice but..

Even in tight clothing, "down there" looks the same for both genders unless it's underwear. I don't see why a packer would change the appearance.

I agree, for the most part. Unless you are wearing really baggy sweatpants where normally you do see a bulge, it doesn't look much different... long as you aren't wearing skinny jeans, either. I do think that if you are wearing tight jeans, that does allow for something to show on guys. (I have been studying this, lol.) Most of the time, jeans create a "bulge" on their own (again, if they are not skinny jeans.)

For me (I haven't started packing yet but I am going to buy an STP) I feel kinda incomplete without something there and I want to be able to use men's bathrooms once I pass well enough.

I dont pack all the time, but its mainly because i dont have a real packer. (mines just a make shift sock and shoelace) But when i do i feel "right". Its hard to explain, but it just brings this sort of comfort and eases a bit of the dysphoria off.

I would say thats the reason a lot of guys pack. it eases the dysphoria and just feels "right".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 79 Guests (See full list)

• Lydia_R
    • Vidanjali
    • Birdie
    • SamC
    • Desert Fox
    • VickySGV
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • evy-emaciated
    • Ivy
    • AmandaJoy
    • MaryEllen