• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sleep? What's That?

Guest therisa

Guest therisa

I am all too familiar with the cyclical nature of PTSD flashbacks, as I am enduring another one of my cycle, triggered by the stress of the phonecall, which my mom made to me, last Sunday. Finding myself, dreading falling asleep, as I know these night terrors will be waiting for me. Thought I had a handle on them, since the last time, but I was dead wrong. Now, a good night means, I get 3 hours of sleep. Am finding myself, hypersensitve in my reactions, to any loud noise around me. Often jumping and scaring Venus and Squeak, because of this. Poor guys, have taken to sleeping away from me, as I am shrashing around, from the night terrors. Just want one night's sleep with peace and no haunted dreams.

therisa

• Admin

I'm sorry you're going through this, Therisa. I can only try to imagine what its like for you. I know

from my wife's sleep troubles that you get to the point where worrying about sleep becomes part of the problem,

part of the anxiety.

I wish I had some great suggestions for you, hon. I just don't know enough about PTSD. Have you tried reading

some mentally soothing material before going off to sleep, like poetry, or listening to some favorite music?

Carolyn Marie

Guest therisa

Problem is, Carolyn, I am having trouble concentrating on things. Reading the comic section of a local paper, is has become hard to for me. Even doing crosswords are a struggle. Too bad golf isn't on, that really puts me, to sleep fast.

PTSD is a form of anxiety based disorder, like the phobias, which people suffer from. Usually caused by traumatic events in a person's life, like combat for those, whom serve in the military, or in my case, the various times, I was the victim of physical assaults by my brother or other kids.

therisa

• Forum Moderator

Therisa

One thing that might help is sleeping with positive soothing music turned down low or a tv on a channel that has light programming. Those sounds can affect the tone of your dream.

More importantly the more you think about and fear the dreams the more you program yourself for them. Work as hard as you can at visualizing or thinking about positive things. How nice your neighbor has been. Or the antics of Venus and Squeak-anything that is good feeling. Push away and images that try to intrude.

While these things won't cure the problem but they can help. Also in desperation when I have something haunting my night I count. And keep counting. It changes the part of the brain you are using and can work pretty well although absolutely boring.

I hope it gets better soon!

Hugs

John

Guest therisa

In the past, I have tried light music, it just focus my concentration, making things harder for me. John, I have found listening to audiobooks, puts me asleep, can't explain why, but it does.

therisa

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest SummerDay

I've got PTSD. I know that can't function thing and flashbacks. It's not great.

I found the key is strategy. Doing new things and staying away from old places routes you around that, and from what you're saying you've discovered that yourself and are getting results.

It's really hard to stop feeding PTSD if it keeps being triggered but I've read plenty of Buddhism quotes and medical style opinions that say if you don't feed the PTSD it may be less of a recurring problem and may eventually die.