• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Took A Big Step

Guest Mori

So I managed to tell my mom about my gender issues last night. It was really emotional and drained me compleatly, but I did it. So she knows how much I am struggeling, so I feel a little less alone in the world. (she even suggested I find a way to get my DNA tested because she thinks I might be a male genneticly, but that I've got enough female in me to have puberty turn me into one) Now I need to just figure out what I am and deal with the depression that is still bugging me. I should be making a call to the free clinic in my area to change my therapist, hopefully to one who knows a bit more about gender issues. That way I can work through this with someone who at least understands where I'm coming from. (and wont tell me I'm faking it)

so in realation to all this how did those of you out there who have gone to see therapist start into gender issues. I'm just really lost here, and even though I'm young I feel like I need to know what I am soon.

Hi Mori,

Well, in my case I contacted a Counselor I used to see, and asked her if she knew of anyone in the area who was experienced with Gender Identity issues. She referred me to someone she knew, and that is who I have been seeing.

There is also a listing on here of Gender Therapists in different cities, and some can even work over the Internet.

Please keep us posted!

Hugs,

Opal

Guest sarah f

I am so happy you let your mom know how you were feeling and it seems to have gone well. That is great news.

When you got to a gender therapist they will first just get to know you on your first visit. Then they will start to get into your gender issues and ask you a bunch of questions. They will be able to help you figure yourself out and what you want or need.

Guest Emily Ray

Mori,

That is wonderful news! I know how emotional telling your parents can be. I am happy your mom was supportive of you. The question of now what is a good one and I think Sarah is right about how to do that. You are on your way and that must make youfeel a little better. Stay moving in your journey and your mood might continue to improve.

Huggs

Emily