• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Tips On Passing?

Guest Vince1995

Guest Vince1995

I have never posted to anything like this - so bear with me. :banghead:

From the 3 pictures I will post, can you all give me tips on passing as a male? They are all taken with my phone.

Pic. 1

Horrible picture, I haven't slept since 200pm on Sunday, so that's why I look like this.

Pic. 2

Pic. 3

I used an © Ace Bandage to hold down my breasts.

Guest Avery F

Hi Vince,

So, you already pass pretty well - you look almost totally androgynous in the pictures. There are just a few pointers I can make:

1. Your hair. It's short, which is good, but one thing you might look at changing is the hair that comes down in front of your ears, sort of like sideburns... Most men cut that rather shorter.

2. The clothes - your bracelets are not particularly feminine, but generally guys don't wear that much jewelry unless they're punks, or something. If you want to keep the bracelets, you might look into spiking or dying your hair, or getting some type of punky piercing, just to keep your look consistent.

3. Here are some general tips, which I can't tell if you've already applied from your pictures. When walking or standing, try and keep your feet at least shoulder width apart. When you sit down, don't cross your legs too often, except maybe at the ankle. When you greet someone with a handshake, grip their hand firmly and look them in the eye. When you're talking to someone, either look them in the eye or look off to the side or upward, never down.

Also, it's not generally a good idea to bind with ace bandages - they can damage your chest, more so than commercial binders. If you can't obtain a commercial binder yet, there are other methods you can try - wearing two tight sports bras at once, or a sports bra in combination with a compression shirt (you can find such shirts at most athletic stores). At some athletic stores, you may be able to find a compression bra, which is like a sports bra but much more binding.

Anyway, it looks like you're off to a good start! Even if you looked exactly like you do in the pictures, if I passed you in the street I don't think I would be able to identify which gender you belonged to.

Guest Vince1995

Sorry for the double posts, but I just figured out by brushing my hair back when it was wet, that those ain't my sideburns, it is just excess hair that hasn't been shaved off my head. I used to sport a mohawk.