• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Just How Much?

Guest Jessica Renae

Guest Jessica Renae

I was browsing through the forums and there seems to be a genral thought floating about that once a specific period of time with HRT has been meet it is more difficult to pass as a man. To me that makes little or no sense. I've met several FtMs and they look like normal guys. A bit fem but, not overly. So it would stand to reason that a MtF would have an easier time going back to a man than the same FtM since she started out as male.

HRT does not change our jaws, voices, beard, height, hand and foot sizes. Men wear looser fitting clothes so any added hip or buttocks would be greatly concealed. I would submit that the MtF is not so much giving herself away physically but, she's adapted the female role and taught herself new mannorisims that are deffinatly not male.

So the question is: Am I wrong and HRT has a far greater effect than I thought?

I only ask because that may have an effect on my planned carreer.

Jessica

Guest Christine-Louise

Hi Jessica,

I was always told that the beard is not affected by Hormone Treatment (Estrogen), well I would like to add for the record that I have been on Hormone Treatment for nine years now, since July 1999, in all that time I have used Estrogen Gel on My face as part of My overal treatment, and I now have no beard to speak of, I shave maybe once a week or fortnight or as and when required, even then I need a magnifying mirror and magnifying glass to see it, but I can't leave it I would feel wrong until it is totally gone, so yes Hormone Treatment does have a huge effect on us, I should add that because of My health I will be on full dose for life, and for anyone getting toward long term there are no records for us to check on, you have to like Me play it by ear as you go along, with My Doctor of course.

Guest Snow Angel

I'm going to use the old standard and say when it comes to hormones, Your Mileage May Vary.

I think prolonged estrogen exposure will definitely soften the face, to the point that some people would notice. Of course the facial hair still tells people you're male, so it's a good distraction. It can't change facial bone structure, but for some of us it would change fat patterns or makeup in the facial structure, or maybe reduce some male looking wrinkle patterns. It all depends on our bodies' receptors for it and our age.

the younger you start the harder it is to go back like i started at 14 i have no brow ridge no facial hair no body hair very feminine featurs small hands and feet (not complianing) my bone structure is set like even if i start dumping massive amounts of testosterone into my system i would only have as much of a chance of passing for a man as any ftm that looks a female as i do would have so i think it all depends on what age you start hrt

Sakura