• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Have An Intake Call Coming Up

Guest sleeping chrysalid

Guest sleeping chrysalid

On March sixteenth I am expecting to receive a call from someone representing the therapist that has been reccomended to me. That horrific moment with a psyhologist who was not a gender therapist but another type of counsilor wasn't a waste of time after all because he turned around and helped me find someone. He reccomended me to a qualified therapist and I am going to be going through what seems like a screening process. I will be assessed on the phone and an appointment will be made afterwards. My mother will be involved and both of us will be spoken to.

There is one thing I am concerned about. I didn't want to lose my credibility with my mother so I didn't go into all the details with her. I just thought that it would be easier for her to believe that I am really female than it would be to for her to believe that I am probably a girl and I am almost certain I am but if I am not then I am still not a boy I just fall somewhere in between but am still closer to being female. I am probably a transsexual but there is a small amount of doubt and I gave my mother a definite answwer instead of saying maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I gave her a summary of what I was feeling but I did not discuss all the doubt or go into details about complications and confusion so I have to make sure we are both on the same page in order to avoid any misunderstandings. Can you imagine if I start telling someone about my feelings and then my mother comes along and says something slightly different? How would that look like? Would it look like I made variations of my story or would the therapist just realize that like most transsexuals, I have been trying to figure out how much to reveal and who to reveal it to? I haven't left my parents completely in the dark but I have still been careful. I haven't told them everything because I didn't want to sound like I was just out of my mind. I have heard advice given that it helps to be confident when coming out to parents and the doubt would have definitly complicated things but I think I should go into more detail before the call.

It is nice to finally have a date set and I look forward to sorting things out with a gender therapist.

Guest Elizabeth K

There is no reason to totally out to anyone. Say you have some gender identity issues, that's all you need to say.

Lizzy

Guest JaniceW

Just relax, you are over thinking this. You told your mother what you felt at the time you told her was the right thing to say. We always have doubts about everything, not just gender stuff, so don't sweat your doubts they are healthy to have. For your intake phone interview be honest but don't fret the details you and the therpist will work through those later on. The purpose of the phone interview is not to weed you out but to find out if you are comfortable talking to them and if they are comfortable talking with you. Nobody is making any diagnosis on the phone nor are they measuring you up for anything, it is just a hey can we talk to each other comfortably kind of thing.

They will also probably want to discuss the plan for sessions and the costs involved. They are not talking wiht your mom to check out your story but to rather find out where she stands on this.

And remember, above all else, there are no wrong answers to any questions they ask you, just be yourself.

Hi,

I agree with Janice that this interview shouldn't be treated like a college admissions oral test. I just had a caring and concerned health care professional call me up for prescreening and ultimately got around to the bottom line purpose of the call which was to be sure there was insurance and that I was aware of the deductablerolleyes.gif Now that may not be your situation but the point is they will be covering general stuff and the purpose is to get past some of the preliminaries. When I went to a GT it was a big deal for me and, unlike other doctors' offices I really wouldn't like having to sit around filling out 6 pages of stuff immediately before seeing the therapist. Not conducive to establishing rapport, don't cha' know.

In reference to mom, why not tell her you love herwub.gif, and if she is confused over anything you say on the phone please ask questions after the call, not during it... And that if some of it sounds confusing its because it is...

Unlike some here, it sounds like your getting mom's support, so maybe give her a hug and a thank you too?smile.gif

Best Wishes

Michelle

• Forum Moderator

You have had great advise already and all I can do is second it and say let it happen as it happens. Planning it out or anticipating just complicates things.

And the great thing is things are moving along!

:)

John

Guest sleeping chrysalid

Just relax, you are over thinking this. You told your mother what you felt at the time you told her was the right thing to say. We always have doubts about everything, not just gender stuff, so don't sweat your doubts they are healthy to have. For your intake phone interview be honest but don't fret the details you and the therpist will work through those later on. The purpose of the phone interview is not to weed you out but to find out if you are comfortable talking to them and if they are comfortable talking with you. Nobody is making any diagnosis on the phone nor are they measuring you up for anything, it is just a hey can we talk to each other comfortably kind of thing.

They will also probably want to discuss the plan for sessions and the costs involved. They are not talking wiht your mom to check out your story but to rather find out where she stands on this.

And remember, above all else, there are no wrong answers to any questions they ask you, just be yourself.

I should relax but the only problem is that it has been drilled into my skull that I am more likely to be misinformed than others. I have been constantly told that I am naive so I have developed the habit of thinking about every detail not because I am obsessed and analytical, but because I am cautious about what I have been told to worry about. I have been dramatically affected by the bombardment of messages suggesting that I am gullible. Deep down I know it's not true but it still affects me. It still makes me worry and be overly careful because it hangs over my head. It's like when someone tells you the cook spit in the soup and you know he didn't but you still feel a bit on edge. It's the placebo effect.