• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Time To Take Care Of This

JenniferB

I've been drinking off and on since I was about 16. However recently it's affected me more. I take a mood stabilizer drug and that has an opposite effect and amplifies depression instead of having it under control. Every time I post that I'm depressed, I always drank beer before. I don't get depressed every night, yet I've never got that type of depression when I don't drink. Plus I don't drink every night, an average of 3-4 days I don't drink. Nor do I ever drink before work. It's only near the end of work that I have the urge. And when I drink it's like a lay's potato chip. I can't drink just one.

So I am going to give it one more shot to quit on my own. I've done it in the past. Last summer I didn't drink a drop of alcohol for 4 months. Plus I was able to stop smoking cigarettes over 10 years ago. If I can't stop now, I'm going to join AA. I believe that would be for the best.

Jenny

I agree Jennifer, if you cannot stop on your own you should get help and why not go to the people who do it best?

You know what it is doing to you and yet you are still drawn to it so you might just need a little help.

Good luck and remember if you do need it there is no shame in asking for help.

Love ya,

Sally

• Forum Moderator

Good for you Jenny!

My mother's drinking pattern started like yours only she never tried to stop. Her Dr told her that her mood prescription would actually make her more inclined to become addicted and was a dangerous combination. She never drank before late afternoon or evening even when she started drinking to the point of blackout so she always said she wasn't an addict.

She didn't listen to the Dr. and eventually lost her life to pancreatitis as a result of drinking. So I am very glad to hear you are going to quit. It only gets harder the longer you wait.

And I know many here will understand your struggle and be here if you need them.

Hugs

John

Guest Donna Jean

Honey.....

You've obviously made the right decision to join AA...

Sometimes it takes a flash of light for us to see, and sometimes, it just becomes time...

I admire your decision...

Hugggggs

Donna Jean

Hi Jenny,

Want to wish you all the love and support possible to get through this. If you can make it through alone, Wonderful! If you want help, please do not hesitate to go the AA route.

Transitioning is hard enough and alcohol makes it far harder.

Big Huggs,

Opal