• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Partial Transition

Guest -Jack-

Guest -Jack-

So I'm not sure how well this term is known but I'm wondering if any of you have done partial transition and how you felt about it and your experiences with it in general. The way I understand it partial transition is when you take some actions to transition like go on T or have surgery, but you pick and choose which to do depending on what you want. For example you could go on T for a while to gain some efects like a deeper voice, but stop after I while so you could have some feminine qualities like less facial hair. (Correct me if anyone understands it better.) It seems like most transguys just talk about full transition, wanting to do T and have surgery, so I was curious about some alternatives.

-Jack

Guest raydub

That's probably a subject you want to bring up with your therapist and/or an endocrinologist. I dont know of anyone who has done that, but you never know. Dont be afraid to just call a doctor up that you know does hormone treatment and ask.

Ray

Guest -Jack-

I have a pretty good understanding of it for myself, but I was curious about how other people felt about it. There are a few transguys on youtube who have done partial transition so it's not completely unheard of.

-Youtube link -here's a link to one

i've heard that if you stop T once it's already produced some significant effects you can be at risk for developing osteoperosis (sp?)...not sure if that's true in all cases but maybe something you'd want to get checked out.

Guest StrandedOutThere
i've heard that if you stop T once it's already produced some significant effects you can be at risk for developing osteoperosis (sp?)...not sure if that's true in all cases but maybe something you'd want to get checked out.

I think the osteoporosis risk is mainly a concern if you've had a hysto.

I think the osteoporosis risk is mainly a concern if you've had a hysto.

yes that makes more sense...sorry, i'm a little slow today :rolleyes:

I have a pretty good understanding of it for myself, but I was curious about how other people felt about it. There are a few transguys on youtube who have done partial transition so it's not completely unheard of.

-Youtube link -here's a link to one

Whoa, that's crazy--I've actually met that guy before. And his hair is so much cooler looking in real life, BTW.

Anyway, for me, there's a good chance that I'll start taking T, get the lower voice and some facial hair, get top surgery, and then just end it all. (get off T I mean, not suicide). My body wouldn't bug me anymore at that point, so why keep on going?

Like Xavier says there, whatever makes you comfortable, ya know?

Guest Jackson

Here's my two cents (before inflation):

I've discussed this with my therapist and a friend. As I look at it, transition is a process and you are on a continuum. You can go as far as you want and stop whenever you want. I've been trying to decide where on the continuum I fall and I suspect that the spot where I'll end up may be different than where I want to stop on any given day. When I first decided to transition I was thinking only of taking T. Then as the contemplating went on, I've decided on doing more. Now I want to go through the entire process. I just know that I'll find the right point when I get there.

Apparently partial transitioning, at least from what I've heard, is really common. At least in the Midwest. I'm looking at this whole process as a part of my life. I am, for lack of a better way, reinventing and finding myself. And learning about myself in the whole process at the same time. It's a very enlightening journey.

Guest JayJaye

I think it's a continuum also.

At first I was like haircut, clothing, and packer and I'd be set. I was wrong.

Then I realized I need to pass and want to start T only. I was wrong.

I hate my period and realized that I need to have a hysto or go crazy being a guy with a period. BLECH!! But I was wrong also.

Now I'm about to set a date for top surgery that will probably coincide with my birthday.

And then I'll be male.

For now bottom surgery is still off the table. But ask me again after my top surgery has healed.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jacob_rhys

Drew I believe this only applies if you have had a hysterectomy and have no way of producing significant hormones yourself. You need either T or E to have healthy bones (and usually a healthy body) otherwise you get osetoporosis and heart disease.