• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Loathe Shaving, Can't Afford Electrolysis And Iffy About Laser

Guest Koakoa

Guest Koakoa

I take it there's no real other options? As a male, I would just let my facial hair grow out and not bother with any other hair; sure it wasn't the prettiest, but I didn't mind it and didn't care if other people thought of it as anything. Of course, as something more feminine/androgynous, I'm not able to get away with that.

Is there any sort of alternative that could be effective for removing hair (possibly like at-home waxing?), or some sort of 'semi-accepted' covering/mask I could reliably wear to hide the hairs?

Guest Miss_Construe

Koakoa,

Unless you want to wear a halloween mask around I don't think you will be able to get around hair removal. I have see some facial Nair like products, but that is really only intended for female pattern facial hair. Waxing would be an epically bad idea on your facial hair.

I think a combination of shaving and cover-up will do for the time being. I would look into laser if you have dark hair and lighter skin. I think that once you look into it a little bit more you will find if more favourable. The horror stories don't usually come from reputable places. I actually really love the results I have seen. One or two more sessions (8 - 9 total) and I will have almost no hair at all. Actually, right now people have to be looking for my hair in order to see it.

Also, I like using the feminine razors with the built in soap. It smells much nicer than the male stuff and it is another feminine indulgence that I get to partake in. ;)

<3

Amy

Guest KimberlyF

Are you under the care of a doctor with a diagnosis and starting hRT or anything while discussing perm hair removal? I haven't come across your posts before but trying to find the best options.

Guest Koakoa

Any makeup suggestions for best covering hairs? I guess I have no choice but to stick to shaving/razoring for now, since I'm not sure if I'm committed enough for lasering (I think it can be effective for me, but is more than I want to invest in myself at this point).

Also, I'm essentially just trying to better understand myself and begin considering the concept on a transition.

I don't know if I'll seriously get into transitioning, but at the very least would like to get out a bit more and present myself moreso as a female, than as a male.

Guest Elizabeth K

Drag queens do exactly that - so do some gender dysphoric people who don't want permanent beard removal. Body hair generally has to be shaved. I never found a good solution for concealing eyebrows other than a heavy scar cover cream, or acne coverup troweled on - good for about 30 minutes.

You can get about four hours of coverage by shaving as close as you can, then use a woman's concealer. Afterward put on a coverup foundation. It does work for a while. If you beard is heavier, it obviously doesn't work as well.

Lizzy

Guest Mina89

I'd like to add my experience to what Lizzy said about heavier beards.

Even if your beard is more sparse, if it's significantly darker than your skin it will show through concealer fairly quickly unless it's ridiculously caked on. I have medium-brown scalp hair, light-olive skin, and black eyebrows and facial hair. I'm still trying to figure this out. Until I can afford electrolysis, anyway.

-Valerie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Serene

I've tried to explore all options and have call both electrologists and laser removal. I've even spoken with a dematologist.

The only available and permanent solution to hair removal is electrolosis. But it takes time, I had to stop going for now because I can't afford it. Laser only really works on dark hairs and inhibits the growth rate for a time, but several months later the hair will return.

Electrolosis actually kills the root matricies(I think that's plurel for matrix)in the folicles. If the hair is caught in the right stage of growth then it doesn't come back. I've have both sides of my face done so far and only a few barely noticable hairs are left. I hope this helps, and good luck! :)

Serene

Guest Mina89

Electrolosis actually kills the root matricies(I think that's plurel for matrix)in the folicles.

You almost got it. The content of the sentence is spot-on.

It's not really important, but the words are spelled "electrolysis," "matrices," "plural," and "follicles."

I'm way too attuned to spelling and grammar than I should be. Some of the most brilliant professors I've had could not spell to save their lives, including my honors thesis mentor.

-Valerie

Guest Mina89

I'm way too attuned to spelling and grammar than I should be.

That's what happens when you carelessly write comments on your way out the door.

-Sigh-

Guest Krisina

For covering up the beard shadow over a short period of time a good thick concealer such as Derma Blend.

Permanent hair removal Electrolysis. Permanent hair reduction Laser. There is a reason that the the FDA classifies these two types of procedures the way they do. When done properly when the hair folicle root is zapped and the hair is removed, that's it for that one hair. One hair at a time. It still take a long time as there are a lot of hairs to zap and all the hair growth cycles to dear with. With Laser everyone is affected differently depending on their hair color dark or light and skin complextion, color. Laser doesn't really work with light hair, it works with dark hair it won't get all the hairs.

Serene had said "Laser only really works on dark hairs and inhibits the growth rate for a time, but several months later the hair will return."

When laser is done there are patches some areas are missed and need to be redone when going to you next scheduled appt. There are multiple sessions of laser treatments required because there are several hair growth cycles of hair deal with. If you were to think of your face having say 6 hair growth cycles (I don't know how many there are, just guessing) and you go in for a laser session they go over your face and get the hairs. You will see it clear up over a week to 10 days as the hairs exfoliate. You may still see a few hairs here and there to shave. When the new hair growth cycle comes in you get that zapped by laser too (mine are every 6 weeks) If done properly and with new really good equipment it can save you on the amount of time you will need to do electrolysis. You will still need electrolysis but there will be less hair to work on. Permanent hair reduction. The number of laser treatments I have heard 8 to 10 but you begin to notice a difference after 4 treatments.

Others might want to add some input on their experience with laser too. Eg laser complimenting electrolysis.

Krisina

Guest Serene
It's not really important, but the words are spelled "electrolysis," "matrices," "plural," and "follicles."

Haha wow I'm terrible! I must have been exhausted to make that many mistakes. ;P

Thanks for the correction, I'm usually not that bad. :)