• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Clothing Cut For Small Shoulders/large Hips

KieranD

I've been measuring myself lately since I have a lot of problems finding clothes that fit. My measurements have found the reasons for clothes not fitting: I have short legs, wide hips, and small shoulders. My inseam seems to be 26.5 inches. The measurement around my shoulders (including arms) is about 45 inches (from arm to arm it's about 18 inches) while the widest part of my hip is 46 inches. My upper chest is 37.5 inches.

Because of these sizes it's hard to find clothes that fit in both the hip and shoulder. Anybody have suggestions on where to shop that's fairly inexpensive? What should I look for in the way a shirt is cut?

Bootleg for wide hips and wear halter tops. Forever 21 or try Wet Seal

Ehrm...I wear clothing mostly associated with men.

Forever21 is cut too small for me even in an XL.

Guest ranse

If you were older, I'd suggest suit jackets and button up shirts. Does wonders to conceal hips and breasts while filling out the shoulders a bit. Still, you don't want to get too baggy or you look like you're playing dress-up and none of us want that.

Since your photos look youngish, I'd look at what the college guys are wearing when they wear layers. A t-shirt with a flannel shirt over it can help. However, summer's here ...

Another option is to start working with weights or doing some pushups routines to bulk up your shoulders a bit.

Guest AlyTheGreatAngel

Im soooooo sooorrry!! Here is correct advise DONT wear skinny jeans!! Wear low rising jeans no high waisted try to wear pants that expand out at the end not to expanded just enough to give the illusion of smaller hips. ALWAYSSS I mean always were dark wash jeans no ligh color ones Fashion is all about illusion. As for tops try Tshirts a bit larger for you not to much dont want to look like you dont care! For example im a size S in men shirts to make my shoulders wider I would wear M the shoulders are sewed quite larger which gives the illusion of larger shoulders. I wear small forever21 total oppisite so I wasnt sure how big is xl there>.<.. But Im trying to think stores there is forever 21 men?...lol or try zumiez, old navy, american apparel, H&M, PacSun, Paolo Giardini, Tillys. All I can think of hope I helped!!:)

Guest Mina89

You could go kind of blue-blood and try baggy men's dress shirts.

I've been getting through guy mode with slightly-too-large long-sleeve button-downs. When they're buttoned, they give the illusion of a square. When I unbutton them, my boniness becomes a lot more apparent. I'm not exactly sure what you could do with this information, but here it is.

-Valerie

If you were older, I'd suggest suit jackets and button up shirts. Does wonders to conceal hips and breasts while filling out the shoulders a bit. Still, you don't want to get too baggy or you look like you're playing dress-up and none of us want that.

Since your photos look youngish, I'd look at what the college guys are wearing when they wear layers. A t-shirt with a flannel shirt over it can help. However, summer's here ...

Another option is to start working with weights or doing some pushups routines to bulk up your shoulders a bit.

I have some button ups but they're too big in the shoulder and barely fit in the hip. I'm looking more for how to find a cut that fits. I don't see people around here wearing flannel. I'm 24 years old...not too young.

Also, as a heads up I'm genderqueer and use mostly male language to describe my body.

Im soooooo sooorrry!! Here is correct advise DONT wear skinny jeans!! Wear low rising jeans no high waisted try to wear pants that expand out at the end not to expanded just enough to give the illusion of smaller hips. ALWAYSSS I mean always were dark wash jeans no ligh color ones Fashion is all about illusion.

But I can't find jeans that fit. I don't know what you mean by expand out at the end.

As for tops try Tshirts a bit larger for you not to much dont want to look like you dont care! For example im a size S in men shirts to make my shoulders wider I would wear M the shoulders are sewed quite larger which gives the illusion of larger shoulders.

T shirts always fit me wrong. I can't find things that fit in the hip and shoulder, so it either fits in the hip and is baggy in the shoulder or fits the shoulder and is tight in the hip.

I wear small forever21 total oppisite so I wasnt sure how big is xl there>.<.. But Im trying to think stores there is forever 21 men?...lol or try zumiez, old navy, american apparel, H&M, PacSun, Paolo Giardini, Tillys. All I can think of hope I helped!!:)

Forever 21 does sell men's clothes. American Apparel and H&M run small so I don't fit in an XL there :(

Guest ranse

I have some button ups but they're too big in the shoulder and barely fit in the hip. I'm looking more for how to find a cut that fits. I don't see people around here wearing flannel. I'm 24 years old...not too young.

Also, as a heads up I'm genderqueer and use mostly male language to describe my body.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

Guest Avery F

Hey there,

For some reason men's bootcut jeans seem to have more room in the hips than comparable straight-leg jeans. On the other hand, they also tend to emphasize the hips, which is unfortunate. In general, for a looser fit it's usually better to look in the adult men's section rather than the section for teen guys - the pants are less stylish but more roomy up top, and they don't emphasize the hips too much (although they sometimes do emphasize the backside... make sure to check that out in a mirror before buying anything). Older-fashioned stores, like L. L. Bean or Land's End, tend to have more roomy cuts as well. If you really can't find a pair of decently well-fitted pants, or if the only ones you can find are dreadful elastic-waist old guy pants, you might have to go to a tailor and have a pair modified. Some tailors have reasonable prices - an acquaintance of mine has to have basically all her pants modified (she's very small and thin) and manages to afford it on a relatively low budget.

As for shirts, layering helps bulk up the shoulders, obviously, but in warmer weather that's not always convenient. Suit jackets with padded shoulders (not TOO padded or it looks ridiculous) can pull off a bulkier look with just one extra layer. If even that is too hot, then I'd recommend looking around for a vest which has thin over-the-shoulder parts; a waistcoat sort of style, for example. The curve of the sleeve openings can make one's shoulders look bigger than they actually are.

Hope this helps,

Avery

Hey there,

For some reason men's bootcut jeans seem to have more room in the hips than comparable straight-leg jeans. On the other hand, they also tend to emphasize the hips, which is unfortunate. In general, for a looser fit it's usually better to look in the adult men's section rather than the section for teen guys - the pants are less stylish but more roomy up top, and they don't emphasize the hips too much (although they sometimes do emphasize the backside... make sure to check that out in a mirror before buying anything). Older-fashioned stores, like L. L. Bean or Land's End, tend to have more roomy cuts as well. If you really can't find a pair of decently well-fitted pants, or if the only ones you can find are dreadful elastic-waist old guy pants, you might have to go to a tailor and have a pair modified. Some tailors have reasonable prices - an acquaintance of mine has to have basically all her pants modified (she's very small and thin) and manages to afford it on a relatively low budget.

Would it be a problem if the leg is 4 inches too long? I would think that the cut would be off that way. Where the jean is cut for the knee would be closer to mid-calf instead of where my knee is.

As for shirts, layering helps bulk up the shoulders, obviously, but in warmer weather that's not always convenient. Suit jackets with padded shoulders (not TOO padded or it looks ridiculous) can pull off a bulkier look with just one extra layer. If even that is too hot, then I'd recommend looking around for a vest which has thin over-the-shoulder parts; a waistcoat sort of style, for example. The curve of the sleeve openings can make one's shoulders look bigger than they actually are.

Hope this helps,

Avery

I haven't been able to find vests that are tight enough in the shoulder or fit in the hips. The armpit hole tends to sort of flap around

• 2 months later...

I've found a new issue. Collared shirts. I have a short neck and look like a turtle in a button down. How do I find shirts with shorter necks?

Guest Jenny K.

Kieran, have you ever tried Casual Male XL? I remember seeing the store next to a mall near where I lived. From what I've seen on their website they should have something you are looking for.

Kieran, have you ever tried Casual Male XL? I remember seeing the store next to a mall near where I lived. From what I've seen on their website they should have something you are looking for.

Looked at the site. When it comes to shirts theirs are too big in size and they only have normal lengths or long lengths...none that are "short" or are for shorter people. They also don't have my neck size (15.5).

• 1 month later...
Guest whippersnapped

I know what you mean; I've also been wanting more fitted clothing. I'm husky, prefer well-fitted menswear, but cannot afford bespoke clothing. My style is somewhere between office retro, and gay boy.

I wear (used) off-the-rack men's suits to work. If the jacket shoulder width is too large, or I can't button the jacket, I don't buy it. I always have to alter the jacket sleeve length, and sometimes the pants length. This is not difficult to do, but you need to be comfortable hand sewing (or willing to learn!)

Fortunately, I sew. I wear vests every day instead of binding; they minimize my d-cup breasts and are way more comfortable than a binder. I also had the issue with with the vest armhole not fitting, and drafted a vest pattern with a fitting side seam that eliminates that issue. I call it the "prince seam". I highly recommend vests!

With shirts, if the chest fits, my shirt collar is too loose. Sleeve length is always too long.....I am tall with long arms! It has been very frustrating, so I've drafted a fitted shirt pattern and am almost done with my 1st shirt.

I'm starting T in October, and understand that my body shape may change. I'm hoping my neck will thicken some. At least.

Sleeves are always too long for me, too. I went to a store for fancy collar. The collar was too long, the sleeves were 3 Inches too long, all the cool patterns and colors were in slim fit and the shirt length was an inch or two short. Can't win.

• Admin

There are some mail order companies that specialize in short men's clothing. They include Jimmy Au's and shortmenssizes.com. It is fairly easy to find dress shirts with sleeves of 30 or 31 inches. If you need shorter sleeves than that, tailor made may be your only option.

If you live in or near a city, and they have a Chinatown or Little Tokyo, there may be brick and mortar stores. They tend to be fairly pricey, though. Good luck.

Carolyn Marie

The problem is that since my measurements are so different compared to most cis men it's hard to judge the fit online unless all the measurements are available. I'm also looking for fabrics, patterns...just ways to hide my hips.

• 1 month later...

i say - buy clothes too large and go to the tailor

or - alternatively- wear baggy clothes with youthful colors - like brighter male colors

My favorite shirt is a black and orange striped shirt

basically, wear clothes to hide the cuves, and create illusion such as smaller hips... to create that illusion, wear dark jeans

also, make your pants have a flare at the leg. :)

look up ways to conceal curves, and work woth abtailor to help you- or do it on your own:) sewing machines are fun lol

Yea, I tend to go for a boot cut but I need the length to fit (since tailoring would mess with the placement of the flaire). I feel like buying clothes bigger isn't so great because then it's huge in the shoulder and a little big in the hip. Sort of looks like a kid wearing dad's clothes.

Guest Lorem Ipsum

It'a funny, everything you're describing sounds like the same problems I have. I find clothes my going to the thrift store.. a lot, like every weekend. The nice thing about that is the wide variety of fits and cuts of clothes, whereas in department stores clothes tend to be similarly cut and all be ill-fitting in the same way, I find. But still it can be hit and miss, like maybe all the t-shirts there one day are for random events that you don't care about, or something. The good part is (usually) gender-nonspecific dressing rooms, and if you do buy something you end up not liking, you can alter or donate it without much regret, because it was cheap. Good luck