• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Looking For A Gender Therapist In My Area

Guest LuceKeagan

Guest LuceKeagan

Hi everyone. As you know I am new around here and just figuring things out. I talked with my mom a bit yesterday night after I got back from driving up to work (2nd job) on a server after working all day (1st job). Not a good day at all. I mentioned to her about seeing some one to help with my stress and depression and she said yes...and that she had been noticing for some time now that I had been very stressed out and depressed. I haven't told her why exactly I want to see a therapist but it's a start.

The problem now is finding a GT that is in network for our insurance. I have tried to look at their database online but wouldn't you know it. No option for a GT. =/ There is just one therapist on Laura's list in my area and she is not in the database, even though on her own listing she says she accepts some forms of our insurance. We have United Health Care Choice and live in San Antonio.

I also used a link I found in another post on here and it came up with this:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?sid=1312393280.7122_16348&city=San+Antonio&county=Bexar&state=TX&spec=187&lmore=22

Has anyone had experience with any of these psychiatrists? I'm nervous about going to one already and not sure about just picking one from a list.

I know I need to make sure the therapist follows the SOC. Does anyone have any other tips or some questions that I should ask before I decide on any one therapist? I want a therapist that will help me....not one that thinks I am an interesting bug to study. =/ (This happened to my friend...luckily he has a new therapist now.)

Guest LuceKeagan

Well I made my first appointment with my therapist. She wasn't on Laura's list but she is specialized in transgender and gender identity disorders. =)

Guest Donna Jean

Well I made my first appointment with my therapist. She wasn't on Laura's list but she is specialized in transgender and gender identity disorders. =)

Good on you, Hon.......

This will help you feel better, I hope....

Huggs

Dee Jay

Guest Julie T

Our best contact in San Antonio on Laura's Playground is Angie. If you would like to contact us, PM me and we can set that up without compromising anyone. I grew up in San Antonio but left to go to college, and have not been back in 45 years. But I have a few transfriends there.

Julie