• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hormone blockers? (FtM)

Guest Jackmm

Guest Jackmm

So I'm 17 and a half, which makes the whole transition thing really awkward in England - there's basically a gender clinic for under 18s and a gender clinic for over 18s and with wait times and whatever, by the time I get anywhere with the under 18s clinic I'll be 18.

Or so I thought.

A good month after my therapist wrote to the under 18s clinic (Tavistock in London, in case anyone in England wants to know) they called him back and want to meet me in October and put me on hormone blockers before January (my birthday). I know most transguys I know/know of don't do blockers first but from what I understand, it's pretty standard procedure in England. Apparently being on blockers first makes T more efficient when you get it.

Either way, I won't be getting T til April/May 2012 or later so I don't have any objections to hormone blockers.

My question is this: what are the effects? Obviously I'm post-pubescent so they won't work miracles for me but I'm hoping it's going to put an end to my monthly cycle (and mood swings? :D). Will they do anything else? Anyone know from experience? Make educated guesses? Fry my brain with the sciencey side of it? Or just squee with me because I'm finally moving somewhere. :D

Guest Leah1026

Pardon me if I sound blunt, but why give blockers at all? I understand in the in the USA they don't use them on trans men over say the age of 14 as there is nothing to be gained. Someone tell me if I'm wrong. Per the Standards of Care they should be able to start T now (assuming parental approval).

Guest CariadsCarrot

I don't know the effects of the blockers but I'm really happy for you that you're getting somewhere and are going to be able to start them soon.

I'm trapped in the slow wheels of the NHS myself and I know how slowly the seem to move. I haven't even got through to getting a gender therapist yet.

Gabe

Guest seanjamie

Awesome thats great news , "just keep swimming, swimming swimming" as Dory would :) and you get somewhere.... one last thing WoooooooHooooooo :groupwavereversed: time to party !!!

Guest Jackmm

@Leah There's two clinics. I'm 17. The Tavistock (under 18s) actually rarely give testosterone and usually just give blockers. The fact I'm 17 and a half means there's not much point putting me on T because by the time I get it I'll have to go to the Claybrook (over 18s) anyway.

I actually don't know why they do blockers but I think it's standard procedure for anyone in England. Like I said, it's supposed to make T more efficient when you get it but I don't see that as a good reason on its own. It's probably just because they don't want to bother with me when I'm 17 and a half to be honest. /shrug. Blockers are better than nothing. :]

@Gabe I don't have a gender therapist :] I see an NHS nurse/cognitive behaviour therapist (who happens to have had a few transgender patients in the past). He's brilliant, he did all the research to find the clinics, he referred me to them and he chased them up. Even my GP couldn't be bothered to find the clinics for me.