• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Facial Hair

Guest CMM

I identify myself as an androgynous male. I'm capable of growing a full beard in about 2 weeks. I don't really like having a full beard, but I have sensitive skin and a broken pair of clippers, so shaving doesn't happen as often as I like. Even though I shave my beard off ever so often, I still leave a mustache and goatee. I've kind of grown fond of it over the years, and anytime I shave them off, I don't think my face looks right. The goatee seems to extend my chin out a little so I don't have a round face. I wish I had an underbite like the wrestler Adam "Edge" Copeland. And with the goatee, I don't think my face looks right without a mustache.

I guess what I'm getting at is. Does having a mustache and goatee make me look less androgynous and more masculine?

Here's a pic:

cmm.png

This is a somewhat ideal version of myself. You can't see the hair on top of my head, nor the body hair. I retouched the skin to be more smooth.

Hi CMM, :)

Unfortunately IMO the beard and mustache make you appear totally masculine, for females don't grow facial hair generally and little at most. You would have to shave your facial hair first to be able to look androgynous.

{{{Hugs}}}

Jenny

I would have to agree, visually fasial hair is a very large marker for masculinity. Even if your personality is feminine, facial hair will mark you as male since as stated most females don't have much (though my mom can beat my dad in a beard war any day if she doesn't shave) Though I understand the want of having a beard for chin shaping(many males I know in my life have no chin under their beards) having the less angular face would help achieve a more androgynous look for what seems to be your facial build... if that made any sense...

While as stated, facial hair is nearly exclusive to men (and women with facial hair are ridiculed), I am looking at your pic without regard to binaries.

So as far as appearances go, I feel you would need to counter balance the male stigma of the goatee with something feminine (and those beautiful blue eyes certainly help). That is, if you're aiming for an androgynous look. You do have a pretty face, even with facial hair. ;)

However, that's only concerning appearances. My feeling is that this is only a part of identity, and not nearly the most important part. For me to call myself androgyne or gender queer, I don't feel I have to look the part (cuz I would fail at that). For me it's about not being defined by the binary system and the implied roles and stereotypes.

Oh, oh, oh! Completely forgot this part. . .

I too feel my face just doesn't look right without something on my chin. I can't stand upper lip hair, drives me batty. But with my pudgy face and shaved head, a clean shave just looks. . . goofy. However I seem to have a perpetual 5 o'clock shadow, unless I shave against my hair, but then my skin is so sensetive that I can only shave every two or three days. Having resigned myself to a masculine look that others have described as "scary," (I fool you not, people seem to take me for some neo cup cake punk or sommat), my appearance only bothers me when I look into a mirror. Everything else about my own transition is emotional and psychological.

If I had the ability, I would have long hair (multicolored! :lol: ) and a clean shave, but yah. . . not happening anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xjpopfanx

I think it does add to making you look more masculine. Imagining you without facial hair though, I think you would look very androgynous that way! Sadly I can't really judge more since I can't see you without the facial hair. Although you do look pretty with the facial hair too haha. xD I know what you mean about having sensitive skin though, when I shave my skin tends to get irritated and cut quite easily so sometimes my shave job can be pretty rough leaving a bit of stubble. Really hoping I can get laser surgery someday. -_-;;

• 3 weeks later...
Guest runner2guy

For better or worse I have very little facial hair. I only have to shave once a week, and it used to upset me and one of the things that made me think more about my true nature. Now, though, I'm perfectly happy to be as I am. Same with other body hair. None on my legs or underarm, though I've got a reasonable amout of pubic hair. It certainly adds to making people mistake my sex. Truth is that if a fairy came along and offered to make me hairier, I'd refuse, but whatever happens, I want to keep my full head of head hair.

For better or worse I have very little facial hair. I only have to shave once a week, and it used to upset me and one of the things that made me think more about my true nature. Now, though, I'm perfectly happy to be as I am. Same with other body hair. None on my legs or underarm, though I've got a reasonable amout of pubic hair. It certainly adds to making people mistake my sex. Truth is that if a fairy came along and offered to make me hairier, I'd refuse, but whatever happens, I want to keep my full head of head hair.

You should know that my jealousy is reaching homicidal levels.

Kidding. Kidding. I'm a pacifist. XP

Still. . . only once a week? Damn! I have to shave every other day!

I will admit, when I shave in the shower, with my mirror above eye level; looking up at myself I see a more true version of me looking back into my eyes. It's beautiful, it's sensual and it's honest. There is something about the way I look that is more true to me heart than anything I coule ever pose, pass or fake.

But yo, razor burn hurts like a. . .very painful profanity.

Guest Juniper Blue

I like your post Runner ... I too have come along way in accepting my body as it is and in embracing my natural masculinity/androgyny.

CNN ... you are beautiful but with the facial hair, I do see you as a beautiful man. If I knew you and you were soft, gentle in nature and feminine, that would probably balance my perception of you. I worked on an organic farm with a young man who looked a lot like you. He was a gender-balanced cis-male. Take good care of your skin, especially if you wish to present an androgynous look. My friend has very fair skin and it became damaged and rough due to working in the sun for very long hours. Healthy, well conditioned hair can also enhance a more androgynous look. Most men with long hair do not care for it as women do. Explore what you like and feel most comfortable wearing. I knew an androgynous man who had stubble, almost always because of dark hair and dense beard hair follicles that he shaved daily. His manner of dress was androgynous and he sometimes wore androgynous jewelry ... nothing flashy but nice, neutral things ... and it softened his appearance. He also had beautiful long hair and a soft-spoken demeanor. He was a very earthy and androgynous, person, despite his genetic challenges. I liked his look as it was very natural and matched his personality.