• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finding A Job :(

Guest Keira

Without doubt, the hardest part of my transition so far has been finding employment. Coming out to my family and living as a girl were mostly just matters of overcoming fear, but convincing someone to hire me seems to be totally beyond my control - even impossible.

I pass well enough for my appearance not to be an issue, but my birth certificate still classes me as a male, and I also have no work history since I decided to wipe it from my CV when I started transitioning (I wasn't comfortable having previous employers contacted for references). That makes things a lot harder. Plus, my ongoing mental health issues mean that it's unlikely that I'll be able to hold down a full-time job anyway. So basically it seems that being a transsexual + mentally ill + having no work history = little chance of finding work. :(

It's kinda depressing really, knowing that a "normal" life is so far out of reach. Many of my transsexual friends are at least able to earn a living, rather than having to live with family and relying on government handouts like me. Sometimes I wonder if I should just give up and accept that this is how things will be. The thought of exploring, umm, other avenues for work has also crossed my mind, and to honest, I haven't ruled that out. At least I'd be earning my own money... even if that means sinking to the lowest level.

Anyway, I guess I just needed to vent. If anyone has some thoughts or advice, I'd appreciate hearing them. I'm really struggling at the moment.

Guest Evan_J

Never "sink" to anything lower than what you are. Your spirit will always know it. And if you think you have mental health issues now you really will then

Where have you tried applying?

I've tried a number of places (supermarkets, shops, etc.) throughout the year, and either didn't hear back or was told that they've hired someone else. :(

Guest Keiichi-kun

It may be cliche but never give up dear. Things will get better and even if they don't NEVER sink that low. It would just make things worse for you and you know it.

Kia Ora Kiera,

I guess it all depends on what type of work environment you would like to work in, the NZ government departments, libraries, councils, health care-hospitals, nursing homes...are always looking for people and they have a 'non' discrimination policy in place which covers transgender people...Your mental health issues shouldn't be a problem..

Oh I almost forgot have you asked WINZ about their 're-training' for work courses??? I'm sure you will be eligible...

Metta Jendar

Kia Ora Kiera,

I guess it all depends on what type of work environment you would like to work in, the NZ government departments, libraries, councils, health care-hospitals, nursing homes...are always looking for people and they have a 'non' discrimination policy in place which covers transgender people...Your mental health issues shouldn't be a problem..

Oh I almost forgot have you asked WINZ about their 're-training' for work courses??? I'm sure you will be eligible...

Metta Jendar

Well, beggars can't be choosers so I think I'd be happy working in any of those environments. I'll look into those training courses you mentioned. :)

ok to bad you dont live in the us (heres the only thing i like about the US) they have a no discrimination act of getting jobs ect...

There's one here too... but that doesn't stop the discrimination from happening. Employers just say that "he/she wasn't the right person" or "didn't have the right skills" or some BS like that. The non-discrimination act is very easy for them to get around, as I'm sure it is over there in the states. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Try cultural institutions museums opera houses ect. They have very liberal employment policies and have many gay employees . Museums always run three shifts in their security. Most of these jobs don't pay a lot but give good benefits and are always safe work places, no one will bother you. You also get to see some really neat stuff.

doodle

ok to bad you dont live in the us (heres the only thing i like about the US) they have a no discrimination act of getting jobs ect...

Baloney

Unfortunately there are actually several states (including the one I'm living in ) that have actively struck protection for transpeople in employment down. Even when there is lgb protection you may find that trans is specifically excluded.

And even when it isn't in writing most places will just say (as has been mentioned) "you just aren't 'right' for the job".

Guest CharliTo

Yeah...this might be an issue to me now... I just got fired from my job today =_=

I'm hoping that I can find a job though. I'll update with whatever happens... I mean for now, I have my own company that I'm doing that's holding me up in the meantime, but I hope I get a good flow of projects until I get a steady job...

I think I might know one of the contributing factors. Employers do want a qualified individual who will work well but the problem be- once you hire someone with "beyond normal" substance, it is nearly impossible to fire that individual. My last occupation had one employee who was a minor and claimed mental ineficiencies. They were fully capable of doing any task that could have been set for them, but instead they took advantage of their situation and refused to do any work of any kind - and sat and was paid. If anyone challenged her ability or added pressure, they knew who to complain to and who to threaten. I know that isn't your intentions but employers are wary to hire certain individuals because of the high risk for lawsuits. Everyone is sueing each other these days- over the smallest infractions. It is all horribly unfair for those who just want employment and know no lawyer but that's how the over-dramatization of the disabilities Acts have turned out.. I recommend you find a contact or any employer or someone who can account for your good nature and ensure employers that you will do your work and believe not in the lawsuits. That or you could do as so many others have done and sue your way into profit- though that doesnt really help things for all of us. It is incredibly difficult to fire someone these days hence employers want the lowest risk possible. Try and find that hook and you will do fine.

Best of luck,

-S

Guest BrittaneyJ
It's kinda depressing really, knowing that a "normal" life is so far out of reach. Many of my transsexual friends are at least able to earn a living, rather than having to live with family and relying on government handouts like me. Sometimes I wonder if I should just give up and accept that this is how things will be. The thought of exploring, umm, other avenues for work has also crossed my mind, and to honest, I haven't ruled that out. At least I'd be earning my own money... even if that means sinking to the lowest level.

To be honest and this is hard for me. I have at times sunk to that lowest level when times were hard for me. Please for your sake don't ever go that way. It has left an emotional scar on me that as of yet i have been unable to get over. I suffer from severe depression, I cut myself horribly all over my body, and have attempted suicide a couple of times. Please, don't ever go that way. There are always other alternatives. But I can not sit by and let another person destroy theirself that way. There are other ways.... Trust me on that.

Take care hon and if u ever want or need to talk u can send me a message at any time. ANY TIME. I don't sleep well so I am always awake. Well almost always.

Love,

Brittaney J.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sofiadragon

I am in the same boat so to speak right now, even though I run my own business I still need to get a job untill the money starts to flow 'cause I mean comeon we all still have bills to pay right, I am having the most trouble 'cause I am living in Ohio currently & it has been rated as the state w/ the worst economy thus far (if that has changed I would be happy) but I am just starting out in my transition I am looking for work & I am also want to start seeing a therapist to get the ball really moving so I am pulling my hair out all of the time lol.