• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Wrecked skin with razor blades?

Guest Krisina

Guest Krisina

All my life I've been using an electric razor and I haven't been using razor blades. I am now finding I am using razor blades more often because I want a really close shave since I've been getting laser treatment and I want the skin to be really smooth. I have some light hairs the laser didn't get. 

I have a question

I'm just curious if I'm using a razor blade will that make my skin tougher, harder, not as soft?  if I'm shaving off part of the skin layer I'm kind of concerned that the top layer of my skin is getting tougher around my lip area from using a razor blade. I don't want to wreck/ruin my skin I love it. It's in great shape. 

If I go back to the electric razor I would be ok too.

I have very small fine pores too btw. I don't want that to change that, not sure if they canbchange or if people are just born with different size pores.p and they remain the same b

Krisina

• Admin

Use a good lubricating lotion on your face before and after you shave. I use creme rinse for hair instead of shaving cream. The top layer of your skin will not be hurt that way, and the very top surface is pretty dry, and very dead any way, so you can use an exfoliant right after shaving followed by a moisturizer. It feels quite good and actually helps the skin.

Guest Aly Kat

in my shower I have "7 day scrub cream" and mild facial wash

before shaving (my legs... don't have to shave my face any more) I use satin care shave gel

then I apply one of the 1000s of lotions I have

... rinse and repeat =)

i don't think skin gets tougher... unless you're pressing EXTREMELY hard and you are getting cut or just really raw or something =O

and pores generally stay about the same size... hormones affect them a lot (they get smaller for mtf) & environmental stuff (steam) affects them a little

Apparently shaving with a wet razor actually exfoliates, so your skin should end up looking nicer and feeling softer :)

I apply a mild antiseptic cream once I'm done (Sudocrem) (razors create lots of little microscopic cuts, that's razor burn... not what you're hoping to hear :P but the sudocrem - in theory - stops anything nasty getting in and lets it heal properly). Then moisturiser + SPF, and extra sun cream on anywhere that's been lasered (only test patch for me so far, but woo!).

I haven't bothered experimenting with gels and foams, and I like my conditioner too much to use it for shaving :P. Only other thing I've heard is that you should always shave with the grain - facial skin is quite delicate, so you want to minimise the burn and irritation. It should glide over the skin. The shave's not as smooth (<_<) but you get less burn and my face has cleared up a lot since I started doing that (but it also coincided with a razor change and perhaps oil levels as well, you can't be sure).

Hope that helps. Most of it's hearsay :P

Guest Krisina

I have been shaving with a wet razor blade that I have put under some running water. I have been running against the grain to make it closer. I haven't had to do sun screen lately as the uv level has been low. I just don't want any little bumps to appear from hair growth or if someone touches my upper lip or face when I have gone out late at night. I don't want the hint of stubble. I'm my own worst critic. I had re shaved one day an area that had concealer on it. I had only used make up remover in the area then water, dried it then re applied the concealer. Anti septic I guess is the best thing. I get a coloration on the skin if I use moisturizing cream after shaving. I don't want a bad reaction on my face from applying creams lotions to microscopic cuts/razor burns. I just add cold water to the face, that stuff that has been used for centuries :) I might have a look at the sudocrem when I get a chance. I'm my own worse critic wanting a supper close shave wanting things just perfect.

Krisina

Guest Amethyst_Redemption

If the skin gets 'tougher' it is due to callousing and exfoliation should clear that right up. Since shaving removes a slight bit of uneven skin, I think you are in the clear. Guys have tough face skin (swoon), t'is just how the cookie crumbles.

April

Guest John Chiv

My skin was always more like a guy and with the T my skin has become tougher. I used to shave my upper lip and chin but now after a year on hormones, I have a very definite shadow and my skin is coarser and as a man that is great. You are looking for the opposite effect.

I always used disposable razors. Yes shaving in the shower or with wet skin and gel helps but I think it all varies with the texture of one's skin.

I don't use lotion but wet or dry, when my skin was softer, less nicks and cuts. With the estrogen, you won't have that problem.

John

I hate the stubble too, but I did used to get pretty bad red marks and spots, and that was almost as bad. Perhaps it was something else that caused that, I don't know. If you get a reaction to creams etc., do you have sensitive skin? It might help looking for products designed for sensitive skin.

Guest Krisina

I have soft skin. It was more sensitive than it is for others on my first laser treatment the person who did my face. She was concerned that day. It cleared up after a few days even though the exfoliating part of the face took longer than that.

John glad to hear you are getting the shadow and all the opposite results :)

Krisina

Well my own skin is hypersensative, though some hairs are really course, which makes shaving pretty much a guarenteed chance of me cutting myself. It's usually just tiny cuts that heal within the day, but it's increadibly annoying which is just one more reason for me to finish electrolosis. I like using a razor because of the close shave, I hate any itchy prickly feeling left over. I found that using aloe infused cream helps a lot for me since my own skin is sensative. Maybe just anything that moisturizes since it can dry out the skin and make little knicks easier.

Hope this helps

Serene

Guest Megan_Lynn

I use satin care shave gel

Satin care what great stuff this is. make a razor just glide over the skin. If one is worried about there face skin try using St ives aprocot face scrub. You will be amazed at how soft your face will be after using it..

Guest .Christine Elizabeth.

I shave in, or right after a shower. The hot water opens your pores and softens the hair, so it's all I personally need when I shave. If I have let my hair grow a bit longer than usual, I lather some soap all up on it :3