• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Methadone And Testosterone

Guest mikethepunk

Guest mikethepunk

Hey I was wondering if there are any FtM's out there that are on methadone for heroin addiction and testosterone? If so did your doctor have any qualms about not giving you the T due to being on methadone.

I am on methadone and the only thing I found online is that it could make your T levels lower if you are on a dose over 80. I am only on 70. I do not foresee a problem but my Dr wants to research it and make sure. I hope everything will be ok. Any words of wisdom are welcome.

thanks

Michael

• Root Admin

Hello Michael,

The best advice I could give you is listen to your doctor and do as he recommends. Hopefully, you can get some advice from someone who is in the same situation as you are.

MaryEllen :)

Michael,

I dont know anything about methadone but there is a guy on youtube that mentions being a recovering heroine addict. Maybe he will know something about methadone and T. xenokyle i think his screen name is...or something like that. i cant get to youtube to check his name while im at work (sorry).. but look him up and maybe pm him. if he doesnt know from personal experience..maybe he knows someone who does.

good luck finding more information on this!

Raymond

Definately take a docs advice on making sure there's not a conflict between two meds. If he needs a little time to be certain give it to him. The alternative could be dying. Its the number one reason for coming out to ALL the medical people in my life, I want to be certain no one's prescription is conflicting with others

Guest mikethepunk

Thanks for all your answers. Luckily through my research and the same research that my Dr. has access to, there is no relevant data on any negative reaction. It could just mean I need a higher dose of T, but it appears that the only study done on the affect of methadone on testosterone has been done on bio-males (and male lab rats). Apparently on doses higher than 80 it tended to lower the T levels a bit. I guess we will see what happens. I am also trying to do this the right way. I could of not told him but I volunteered the info when I usually do not because of the stigma that all heroin addicts just want drugs. Most places if they know you are on methadone will not give you an pain killers for anything! Imagine being clean and sober for many years but still treated like a junkie. It's awful and getting on methadone is almost as hard as getting on T. There are a lot of similarities with T and methadone in the way the medical community treats addicts and transgendered people. I am writer and I plan in writing a book about the similarities.