• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Searching for Answers...

Guest DeafeningSilence

Guest DeafeningSilence

I used to pop/snort pills and drink... But as of December 31 of this year, I will be sober for one year. But my gf is an active alcoholic, and it is affecting our relationship, and it is getting harder and harder for me to stay sober. But getting sober took so much to commit to, and I wanted to just die. Any advice?

• Admin

I addressed this issue in your other thread, hon. But I'll restate it here; you need to either get your partner into AA or rehab, or consider parting ways. I'm certainly no expert, but I know enough to know that if you stay around her, she is going to cause you harm. Falling off the wagon will do neither of you any good, and all the work and effort you've put into staying clean will be for naught.

I'm sure others with more experience can provide better answers. I wish you the best.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Hi Deaf.

I almost posted on this in the dead of night but held off till morning. After reading your other post I am glad I did...

Reading your original post kinda changes the dynamics of the situation.

Its important to remember that one of the primary reasons to get sober, in addition to making the pain go away, is to get healthier. Part of being healthy is feeling better emotionally and spiritually as well as physically, right? :)

Your other post indicates that your year of sobriety has not come without a price... While you do not indicate how you accomplished the year of sobriety, it sounds like getting with like minded people who are traveling, or have traveled, the same route might be a good thing for you.

People in AA not only know how to get sober, but how to enjoy life's journey after doing so. One of the amazing things about walking into a meeting, is the frequent sound of laughter coming from groups of people. And.... they are laughing with people, not at people. When I entered the rooms of AA I had long ago forgotten how to laugh... There was nothing funny going on in my life!

While your GF might also need AA, she has to make the decision for herself. You are in pain in sobriety and the desire to numb that pain can be tempting. Since you asked for advice... Get with people, probably AA, and learn how to change how you feel without resorting to drugs and alcohol to do it.

Secondly, if you like, get a chat room ID, and stop by our little corner of Reality on Sunday nights 9PM Eastern time (USA) and join our small band of intrepid journeyers dealing with life and addiction issues in all their complexity, pathos and comedy. Another mod and I are there regularly, as well as others who have 20 minutes to 20 years of sobriety. No one is put on the spot or made to feel uncomfortable. We park our Egos at the door. A problem shared might be your own...

Best wishes

Michelle

• Admin

Hi DS

OK, I have just been in this thread today and not seen your other post, but I see two problems, and have been in both myself, your own Alcoholism and your Co-Dependency on your girlfriend. Lets face it, if you are not out the door and long over the hill, your relationship with her is Co-Dependent. Michelle is very right on the benefits of AA and also on the point getting with other people who share at least the language of recovery. You cannot get your GF to begin recovery!! Period, double period!!! That is her call alone. You can get busy on your own though, and leave the invitation out for her to join you. You will have YOU ready and waiting for the relationship to really become a wonderful thing, or you will be ready to move on, alive, with experience, and toward your own happiness.

As a co-dependent, I know the frustration and the pain that comes from watching a loved one kill, if not their body, then the spirit that you fell, or grew in love with. Its a little different to deal with that than it is to deal with yourself, but it can be done, and you can have your sobriety in a way that will fill your emptiness and allow you to grow. I am another one who shows up on the Sunday night TGAA/NA chat from time to time and we get some mileage I think. Welcome aboard.

• Admin

I'm no expert either - my ONLY advice is this:

DON'T DRINK and GO TO MEETINGS!

Kael

An AA meeting is an AA meeting whether you show up sauced or not. Why not show up? We'll give you a nice chair and some coffee, and while we ask that you do not share during certain meeting on recovery, you can still learn something that you may be able to work with when you do get clean. We take drop-outs from Herbie's Bar willingly. Certainly if you are going to start a fight or start passing a bottle around you may be asked to leave, and come back later, but drinking or sober, come on in and give it a try.

One caution, if you come to a meeting with a court card to be signed, and you are obviously intoxicated, you won't get that signed, but we don't have the time or intention to call the cops on you for violation of the court order that said no drinking allowed on DUI probation.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 81 Guests (See full list)

• NoEli6
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Romi
    Newest Member
    Romi

1. Froggiesprog
      Froggiesprog
      (20 years old)
    2. Kara Zor-El
      Kara Zor-El
      (41 years old)
    3. LaurenMichelle
      LaurenMichelle
    4. Liana
      Liana
      (53 years old)
    5. Murph90
      Murph90
      (34 years old)
    • Nonexistent
      I know it's frustrating to hear, but you have to be patient. 5 weeks is nothing. It can take years to grow facial hair. Even then, you may be unlucky and not get much. Everyone's body reacts differently to T. You just have to be patient and let T do it's thing.
    • Nonexistent
      I've been on T for 6yrs now, my levels are good. But I still don't pass very well, I look very feminine. I have top surgery already.   I can't tell if it's bad luck/genetics or if there is some reason why T might not "work" on me. The only thing it has done well is lower my voice. Everything else, not so much. I have a bit more muscle, and a tiny bit of chin scruff. That's it.   Is there any medical reason why T might not have much of an effect? I asked my PA and they didn't know.
    • tracy_j
      Happy Pride!   Tracy
    • Nonexistent
      Thank you for the welcome. :)   As an adult I don't actually get much (if any) hate directed at me. As a kid/teen I got discriminated against and ostracized. And online is crazy with hatred. But in real life I just keep to myself and that tends to make others not bother you. I think I get a double take from someone every so often, but I don't get stared at or anything. I do get called ma'am sometimes which sucks and is embarrassing.    I like the positive self-talk, saying that you are trans, you shouldn't have the same "expectations" as if you were cis. Some trans people are lucky, some of us are not. I'm not. The only thing I got lucky with is my voice. Everything else, nope.   I will try and remind myself that I'm just trying to live my life, I didn't choose to be born this way, I don't need to be embarrassed of myself in every situation.
    • VickySGV
      A wonderful proclamation that is going to have fur and feathers flying in many locations.  It actually saddens me that we are such a divisive wedge in peoples political leanings and this proclamation will drive that wedge deeper until we can heal those divisions.
    • Desert Fox
      All of this is very validating for me to read, as the issues you have faced are all too familiar to me. The compartmentalization of friends, the double life, the not being considered “trans enough” by the trans community…all have been my experience too. I think that’s amazing you did a workshop on part-time trans living…I would have loved to have attended that!    It does hurt when people, especially full-time trans individuals, and even medical professionals, look down on part-time transgender presentation as not being legitimate. I don’t like being lumped into the cross dresser community even if being bigender more resembles cross dressing, not because I have anything against crossdressers personally, but because for me, I don’t relate to a lot of what I’ve seen in the cross dresser community. If I had felt adequately supported in being able to transition full-time 25 years ago, I likely would have. And even if I had, you still would have never caught me wearing heels and rarely would I wear a dress.   For me, how I live is a compromise and an adaptation of having a feminine spirit in a body with male anatomy and not wanting to take surgical risks, plus not wanting to deny my past history of living male-ish and not feeling comfortable presenting particularly androgynously either. I suppose it is possible that at some point I may change my mind and actually transition…apparently that does happen a lot. Maybe I’m unusually stubborn to have stayed part-time this long. Ultimately for any of us who are not cisgender, any presentation is some kind of compromise and there is always going to be someone who doesn’t “approve.”   Ultimately so many factors go into how ANYONE presents themselves publicly, from their past experiences and their comfort level wearing particular clothes and hair styles, I really think no one is in a position to condemn others. It’s just another version of the same old story of people not accepting others with characteristics different than their own. 
    • EasyE
      i should clarify my E levels are on the high end of normal range for males... and T is low for males... 
    • missyjo
      nevermind...couldn't get it to work..time to change n work out night
    • Adrianna Danielle
      It was a huge relief for both of us
    • Adrianna Danielle
      We have,found out she had a hole in her heart repaired at age 12.She knows heart problems run in my side of the family now.Told her I had stents put in
    • Ashley0616
      Congratulations!
    • Mmindy
      That’s Fantastic @Adrianna DanielleI hope you’re able to develop a relationship with her. At minimum she knows more about her heritage and possible health related issues.    Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • missyjo
      ok quic stop n will be slightly late but comming hugs
    • Ivy
      If anyone is interested   What do the Trans community need most right now? Abigail Thorn & Freddy McConnell | Pod Save The UK      
    • Ashley0616
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.