• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hygiene Questions (little Late In The Game But Still...))

Guest Tayler

Guest Tayler

I have a few questions to me it feels like I should have asked them pre-T but felt I had plenty of time or the answer world fall into my lap or something. So here goes.

What lotions do you guys use? Normally I would use what was handy, most of the time it smells fru fru. But to go without is a pain litterly like my skin on my hands and face hurt because it's so horridly dry. I want to smell nice but not smell like a girl if that helps.

Hair what does a guy with curly hair have to do to make it look more guyish, normally it wouldn't bother me. But I've been allowing the top to grow out more because I'm getting the confused pronouns from people. Here is the picture.

724da148.jpg

Oh and last but not least what shampoo and conditioner can a guy with curly hair use that won't cause dandriff and or dry scalp. I'm vain I know but still I'm starting to think it's weird that I have four different hair washing products in my bathroom and my gf only has two. >,< Thanks in advance for your help. :D

Head and Shoulders, homeskillybrah!

There're lotions that ahve no scent. My ASL teacher had, like, 100 bottles of them cuz she's allergic to scents. Get some of that. They feel really nice, too. So it's like you have naturally soft hands, cuz people can't smell anything.

:]

Buzzcut. Or afro. I don't know. I'm finna be gettin' a faux hawk!

Guest Tayler
Head and Shoulders, homeskillybrah!

There're lotions that ahve no scent. My ASL teacher had, like, 100 bottles of them cuz she's allergic to scents. Get some of that. They feel really nice, too. So it's like you have naturally soft hands, cuz people can't smell anything.

:]

Buzzcut. Or afro. I don't know. I'm finna be gettin' a faux hawk!

I know it's really stupid but I can't pass at all with a buzz which part of me is greatful for because I have a birthmark on the top of my head that makes it look like i've had a bad hair cut. <_< When I did wear my hair shorter all around I even had some nub in the checkout like talk loudly to his girl "Bad hair cut" Doing the fro thing for halloween but I can't really see myself with a puffy style. Plus as soon as it settles my hair curls and won't stay fluffed. Thank you for the sugestions on the lotion I'll look into it.

Guest Tayler
I think you can buy the male version of most products nowdays. I know nivea do lots of products like that with a masculine smell.

Think I'm going to just bite the bullet and go into walmart they do have more in stock then walgreens. Thank you for the sugestion.

I don't think guys wear much lotion. A friend of mine does use berry lotion all the time and he's perfectly straight so I don't think you'll have a lot of trouble with what it smells like. Any shampoo should work since dandruff is caused by not washing all the shampoo out.

Guest Jack Solomon

Yeah, I agree with buying lotions from the men's section, same thing with hair products. You can browse for unscented or masculine scented products before you buy - just go onto drugstore.com and check out their skin product section for men. Also, if you want a more tamed hairstyle there are products like pomade of various types which will create a better hold on unruly hair. Pomades by themselves won't make very curly hair straight but they can tame the curl somewhat and you can experiment with styles that way. Just stay away from pomades and gels that promise to be super shiny or slick - stick to regular products if you ever try them out.

Hope that helps,

Solomon

Guest Evan_J

What about something like.....

It's a templefade.

"Like" what you're rocking now but definately a man's haircut.

The big question tho (and its just me) is are you getting cuts in a barbershop? No matter what look you're going for, for me, it just never is satisfying unless a barber does it. They operate in the realm of male looks and appearances and I guess I find it worlds easier to tell them what I want or say "you know, like so-and-so [insert male celebrity/athlete/neighbors name]" and get it.

I'll admit tho, its hard to find a barber you reeeeally like and have a real cool relationship with. -But thats true of any dude. The man-barber relationship is a not a minor thing :P Also, (and its something I add to) make sure you know how to describe what you want; terms guys use in a barber shop; templefade, taper, foreline, lineup......

Hudson guide has a good hair section to start you off. The styles and facial hair names apply to all hair I've found so far regardless of ethnic groups. They look different on the different guys -ie a ceasar on george clooney looks different than a ceasar on allen iverson just due to hair texture- but is actually the same and is described the same to the barber.

I hope any of this helped.

Guest raydub

Evan's right about the barber thing. Look into this dude. There are things that can be done by whomever is cutting your hair that reads as male.. shape of sideburns is a big one im noticing from the photo. Also hairline placement.. there should probably be more space between your hairline and your eyebrow end (the T should take it back - if you plan on hrt).

just a couple notes. Evan's the man though cause he got you a photo and everything. :)

Ray

Guest JayJaye

I have an EveryMan Jack lotion which is billed for after shave but feels like any other lotion. Has a masculine scent. My face gets dry so I use that on it.

Hair products - can't help. I just use whatever. I think I have Treseme or Pantene or something. My daughter likes the fruity stuff. And can't comment on curly hair - mine is bone straight.

Jay

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 57 Guests (See full list)

• Petra Jane
    • Jordyn1215225
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Vikki
    Newest Member
    Vikki

1. Ale975
      Ale975
      (27 years old)
    2. BillieB
      BillieB
      (65 years old)
    3. BrokenDays
      BrokenDays
      (34 years old)
    4. Bryson
      Bryson
      (25 years old)
    5. Jolie
      Jolie
    • Susan R
      Hello @The Lake, Welcome to our forum. I’m intrigued by your introduction and would enjoy reading more about your backstory. We all have very unique journeys and yours is not one I have come across often. As you become more comfortable with our community, maybe you could share more aout how your gender identity evolved, what difficulties you confronted and endured and what some of your successes were along the way. Also, do you see yourself involved in a future transition of roles, presentation, social, physical, or something else entirely? There is never any pressure to share a thing here. So feel free to share as little or as much as you like. We are a very open-minded nonjudgmental group who enjoy learning new things from our members.   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      Welcome @gizgizgizzie, It’s nice to have you in the fold. We are a very diverse group so you’ll fit in just fine. Right now, society at large is getting bombarded with misinformation, bait and switch tactics, propaganda and lies so it’s no wonder no one can get it right. I don’t come out and explain things about my gender identity as much these days but when I do it’s amazing how little these people know about our transgender community in 2024.   Thanks for sharing a little about yourself. I hope to learn more about you as you become more acclimated and active within our forum.   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷    
    • Susan R
      Speaking of hair days…for me, hair has always been the part of my presentation that had the most impact on my overall view of myself. It was much worse for me earlier in my transition. I enjoy experimenting with new hair styles so once in a while, I’ll end up completely redoing my hair because it somehow reminded me of my old self. Self image is a strange yet powerful thing and it take a lot of time and effort to change it.
    • Susan R
      Trans Group Zoom Meeting Tomorrow!!   Coming up tomorrow is another Zoom meet-up with those in our community. This is an open invitation for members here to get together with others from our community. These Zoom meetings last sometimes 4 hours or longer so come join us when you can and leave whenever you like. Share your story or maybe just something interesting that happened during the week. It’s a fun time to chat, meet others, and just be yourself.😁   Trans Groups Zoom Meeting Times: May 18, 2024 6:00 PM Pacific Time May 18, 2024 8:00 PM Central Time May 19, 2024 11:00 AM Australia/Melbourne   If you’re a member of our community, 18 or over and need a Zoom Link, Message me as soon as possible. I will try to get you a link ASAP.   Susan R🌷
    • Desert Fox
      I am working on a solo music project and I decided a few years ago I wanted to do female lead vocals. I’ve played instrumental music most of my life and sung as a male, mostly backup and harmony though, but very little lead. I never liked my male voice. People always clocked me as female on the phone so I’ve always had a more feminine voice. A little over two years ago I started training my female voice to sing and it has been a lot of fun, though I’m still not where I want to be. Consistency is my biggest challenge.    I try to make practice fun or I don’t stick with it. So I do a lot of singing along with my favorite cover songs…I use a vocal fader, and practice with a microphone, and often just record the blend with my phone to evaluate where I’m at and see what I need to work on. If possible I find karaoke mixes on YouTube where the lead vocal is removed and sing along to that.   I’m not sure I can offer much advice, I just do a lot of listening back and adjusting my technique and practicing until I like how I sound. Just a lot of practice. It will probably take longer than you hope to get where you want to be :) High notes will be challenging but every singer has to build up the muscles and technique and breath support and stretch the vocal chords and then their range will expand. My higher notes are in tune, but often sound strained, probably because they are. Some of that is tensing up in anticipation which I need to train myself out of doing.    I think “trans voice lessons” on YouTube is one of the best channels for tips and theory. Once you’ve found your singing voice and have that relatively consistent, pretty much it’s just working on technique, styling, articulation, range, like any singer would. 
    • Desert Fox
      I sometimes look too critically when I look in mirrors. If I’m presenting as male, I think I look too feminine. If I am presenting female then I think I look too masculine. It’s very irritating! Sometimes I think I get it down right. I guess everybody has their good and bad hair days and such, though. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.hrc.org/news/reyna-hernandez-latina-trans-woman-salon-owner-and-vibrant-spirit-killed-in-washington-state   This case is unusual, in that the victim was murdered in the U.S. and her body driven all the way to Mexico, presumably to hide evidence and confuse the authorities.    May Reyna rest in peace, and her vicious killer convicted and sentenced to a very long term behind bars.   Carolyn Marie
    • KymmieL
      We are forecast to be nice all weekend. Finally, getting a fair weather weekend.   Kymmie
    • KayC
      Hi @JenniferB - Welcome back! and nice to meet you! I applaud your desire to rejoin this wonderful Forum to share and help others.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.
    • KayC
      I cooked a breaded bone-in pork chop (seared in iron skillet then into the oven) an artichoke (w/mayo) and a frozen mac n' cheese that claimed it was "The Best Mac n' Cheese" ... and it was actually pretty good.
    • Davie
      Trump is accused of 26 separate sexual abuse crimes. What a guy.
    • Willow
      Well my work week is done and I’m exhausted.     @KymmieL your sign speaks the truth.   I almost forgot, stormy weather expected off and on all weekend
    • Ivy
      Right handed, but my left eye is dominant.   However left eye has cataract, So I've learned to hold my cup left-handed so I can see while drinking.  
    • Ladypcnj
      I'm right handed
    • DonkeySocks
      Sending prayers for your sister. I am sure the insurance thing will work out.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.