• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Me has no gender!

Guest Orva26

Our language is funny because it DOES have non-gendered pronouns! My, me, mine, I, myself! When referring to others we gender them, but when referring to ourselves we don't. Doesn't matter if your male, female, two spirited, androgynous, genderqueer, and whatever other categories that may or may not exist and that I may or may not being forgetting, me has NO gender!

I've decided to copy this here. It is a actually a facebook status I put up about 15 minutes ago.

I'm my local community there are two factions. The group of transpeople who are all about transitioning, i.e. going from one gender to another, but also a second group of people who are all about developing, i.e. going from assigned gender to yourself. I'm in the second group. :) I don't feel particularly pulled by the genders male or female rather that I am a combination of the two. I guess that kind of makes me an androgynous tomboy transwoman, or just me. :)

Edited by Carolyn Marie
Font size increased to allow the calendar challenged to read it

Just you sounds perfect to me. ^_^

Tha's something I never thought about, how our language ignores our own gender but seperates other people into categories.

Personally I do prefer names to pronouns. ;)

I likes this very much. Props!

Guest Luna Selene

I may be mistaken, but I think English is the only language that doesn't assign gender to inanimate objects. I don't know why we need to classify gender on words like trash or book; regardless the translation is basura y libro. If one were to say basuro or libra they would be mistaken. The closest thing I could think of in English, would be animal names like pregnant dog or bull. The words themselves hold gender, but at least it's describing something that would have one.

I think the biggest obstacle for a gender neutral pronoun, would be the rudimentary gender binary of foreign languages.

_Luna