• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

repetitive cycle of unhealthiness

Guest Jo-88

Guest Jo-88

So theres a few issues here that aren't drug related but nonetheless I feel a bit overwhelmed with trying to deal with them. Im not sure how to put this all into words...

I have some addiction issues, I've always had an addictive personality and now its starting to seriously affect my life. The problem is it isn't just one or two things I'm addicted to, I'm addicted to an entire life style. But its not a healthy lifestyle, in fact its killing me, both physically and emotionally. Basically my daily routine goes something like this... I wake up in the mid afternoon and immediately start smoking cigarettes left and right, then I eat a fast food breakfast and smoke a bunch of pot, surf the internet, then more cigarettes, then more pot, then maybe a few energy drinks, then a super fattening dinner.... I think you get the idea... Basically Im addicted to things that bring me comfort and that temporarily relieve boredom.

This unhealthy cycle has become my daily life. I am unemployed and having difficulties finding work and this has made all this get even worse. I need to get my life together and start living more healthy but I don't even know where to start. I mean how does one change their entire lifestyle? Im a fairly lazy person with a min amount of will power and this just seems so overwhelming to me.

I need to pick myself up by the bootstraps, get involved in something, finally find a job and quit all these nasty habits... I know I need to do this but I don't seem to have the will power to make it happen.

Hi Jodie,

This is a problem that is common with a lot of people. You've already taken the first step in that you know you have a problem and consequently seeking help. One piece of advice I would give you is try not to tackle this all at once. Break i down into small pieces and work on only one thing you think you can handle right now. Perhaps in food find things that are healthier that are already prepared. Like store made rotisserie chicken and one portion of fruit. Make sure you eat this once a day, or one good meal a day.

This is going to take some time so don't get frustrated and give up if you slip up trying to work your way out. Forgive yourself and vow to do a better job next time.

I wish you luck in finding self control.

Love,

Jenny

Guest Elizabeth K

I never want to be seen as flippant. You need help with BREAKING this self feeding circle of unhealthy behavior. You need to find and talk with a therapist. And in this case - even a regular therapist will do, This is way beyond your ability to control, obviously.

Lizzy

Guest Jo-88

Therapist.

Lizzy

It may seem that simple but honestly I don't think it is. At some point I need to learn how to deal with problems myself... I appreciate the advice though. I think Jenny is right in that I need to break this down into manageable chunks. I think quitting weed might be the best place to start as we all know it makes you kinda lazy and makes you not give a crap about anything.

Guest Elizabeth K

Well yes -give it a try. Smoking grass is so satisfying and so hard to leave behind. BUT it can be done. I quit 20 years ago - how? My source dried up. It was a danger to my professional license if I got caught. Because I did not like being hoarse from the smoking. Because it got expensive. Because I decided I wanted to do something else with my life.

Hopefully you can start with pot.- I should say - you can STOP.

Lizzy

Guest Jo-88

I def believe quitting herb will go a long way to turning my life around. I think the root cause of smoking weed in the first place was to relieve boredom so its not just important to quit smoking it but to also replace it with something productive... I just don't know what that is yet. Over the years I've lost interest in a lot of the things I enjoyed, now I honestly don't know what I want to do with my life. Anyway I just really wanted to talk about it, it helps me figure things out. Right now I think I've got a lot of soul searching to do.

So theres a few issues here that aren't drug related but nonetheless I feel a bit overwhelmed with trying to deal with them. Im not sure how to put this all into words...

I have some addiction issues, I've always had an addictive personality and now its starting to seriously affect my life. The problem is it isn't just one or two things I'm addicted to, I'm addicted to an entire life style. But its not a healthy lifestyle, in fact its killing me, both physically and emotionally. Basically my daily routine goes something like this... I wake up in the mid afternoon and immediately start smoking cigarettes left and right, then I eat a fast food breakfast and smoke a bunch of pot, surf the internet, then more cigarettes, then more pot, then maybe a few energy drinks, then a super fattening dinner.... I think you get the idea... Basically Im addicted to things that bring me comfort and that temporarily relieve boredom.

This unhealthy cycle has become my daily life. I am unemployed and having difficulties finding work and this has made all this get even worse. I need to get my life together and start living more healthy but I don't even know where to start. I mean how does one change their entire lifestyle? Im a fairly lazy person with a min amount of will power and this just seems so overwhelming to me.

I need to pick myself up by the bootstraps, get involved in something, finally find a job and quit all these nasty habits... I know I need to do this but I don't seem to have the will power to make it happen.

Well Jodie, you may not have a handle on the solution but you sure have a handle on the problem... a few basic issues not covered, perhaps in order to be brief, include, who's paying the rent, do you have any friends, and is your ganga habit allowing you to escape from gender issues... you don't have to answer those questions here but they certainly are a major component in the equation, right?

Btw, I also applaud you for your assessment that weed is an issue. Having been around a lot of users and abusers, I must say, alcoholics know they are alcoholics, junkies know they are junkies, crackheads know they are crackheads, but most potheads I have ever met never believe they have a problem... because its "natural, man...",lol!

So here's the deal... join the YMCA, go to the beach, go fishing, go to disney, hunt alligators, DO something... Anything! 'cause, when you move a muscle, you change a thought. If you change how you think, you change your life...Make any sense?

Now heres the Rub, Jodie88 (24 years old?), if you are Powerless to do these things, you need help. and guess what, being powerless over your addiction to weed and Sloth, has made your life pretty unmanageable according to what you have described... And that is the exact definition of the first step of EVERY 12 step program.... I'm powerless over ****** and my life has become unmanageable- Step One

Being that you are in Florida, you are not only tripping over drunks and addicts everywhere you go, you are also around a lot of happy former abusers who have found the power to change their lives and be pretty happy in the process. Incidently, a buck a meeting, not $125.00/hr for a shrink who will eventually tell you to go to a 12 step meeting anyway, lol! So try fixing it youself, maybe with a calender deadline like, oh April 1st, and if you are still doing then what you are doing now, might want to consider my suggestions...

Best wishes! :)

Michelle

Guest Jo-88

So I've made a few small changes, just baby steps really but I don't expect this to happen over night. First thing I did was actually deactivate my facebook account... sounds silly but honestly I was spending way too much time talking to people on there vs actually getting out and spending time with my friends who are here. I also have a bad habit of comparing my life to other people and getting depressed, I figured it was important to finally stop concerning myself with the lives of other people.

Ive also decided not to buy herb anymore... I probably will still smoke with my friends for the time being but nonetheless Im going to be weening myself off of it entirely. Finally I decided to start having my teeth whitened, once I start that if I smoke cigs (or herb for that matter), or drink cokes or coffee it will just undo any progress which I think is a pretty good incentive to stop those bad habits.

• 7 months later...
Guest vissymiss

Try adding something to your daily routine such as going on a walk and listening to music alone so you have time to really think and relax in a different way. Also, yoga helps with things and is a healthy alternative. The reason I sugest these is because it has really helped me to see things differently and inspires me to do other things instead of old bad habits.