• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Bbc Article On Transsexual Gene Discovery

Guest Rob

Guest Sofiadragon

A group that I am a part of sent that & anotherone from another country as well about the same thing I think that it is so funny that now people that say that we are choosing to do this are going to have to deal w/ the fact that we aren't :lol:

Guest StarCrystal
is there any way we could get tested for this gene?

Probably not right now would be my guess. From the sounds of the article, this is all still in the testing stages for lack of a better word. It doesn't surprise me that they are finding genetic links to things like this, but it will probably be years more before they can do a test that says, "Yep, you're transsexual for sure."

Heh, my grandpa doesn't believe that though, he seems to think there is some magic thing a doctor can do to tell you for sure, but if there was I think a lot of people would already know of it by now. I would love something like that though, because it would make things so much easier, you know?

Guest silverpetals
is there any way we could get tested for this gene?

it would be possible, i think - after all, they had to test those participants somehow...

but of what use would it be, could it be? i think that with a slightly closer look, the results may not quite fulfil the hopes that some of us held for this study - specifically not the hopes for a definitive identification and answers in the form of a test...i'm sorry if i disappoint.

reuters, in their coverage of the story, recorded that

The longer AR gene [the trait in question] was found in 55.4 percent of people in the transsexual group and 47.6 percent of the non-transsexual men

it doesn't exactly show a consistency; only near-over half of transsexual women tested carried this gene variation, while a similar percentage of cissexual men carried it too.

foregoing questions of the study's statistical significance - which may be valid depending on its sample sizes, it looks like this is far from a "transsexualism gene"; if a test for this variation was conducted, neither a positive nor a negative diagnosis would mean much with regard to transsexualism - that's how useful it is in application.

i think it still has its value though, if significance can be proven and extraneous factors eliminated. although perhaps we cannot from the study say "i was born this way", we can still view it as valuable research which accepts that there may be a matrix of distinct factors behind our identities.

a problem is, that within the trans community there exists in some factions a willingness to throw other groups 'under the bus' in order to gain validation and social acceptance. and this harmless but easily-misinterpretable study could potentially exacerbate the problem, gifting some groups with another 'justification' to deny the validity of many transwomen whom it is assumed don't carry this genetic vatiation. it's unlikely, but some people will try to use anything to their own ends.

so...in this situation, would that genotype test still be a good idea? and what if the test returned negative?

perhaps more worryingly, although hypothetical...the discovery of a ubiquitous genetic cause for transsexualism could bring dire consequences for carriers of that trait - especially those unborn. in such a position, would it still be wise to desire a test?

if a true "transsexual gene" were to be identified - a gene with a 100% correlation to transsexualism in carriers, it would create dire problems of its own. in much the same way that a doctor may scan an unborn foetus for signs of a superfluous chromosome 21, the cause of down's syndrome - a scan could be performed to confirm presence of this "transsexual gene".

and from there, it's pretty feasible that if transsexualism has been proven beyond doubt to be a biologically-based condition, many transphobes would want to abort a foetus because it carries this gene.

information can be dangerous; ignorance of information even moreso. if any discovery occured which made possible a scenario like that, i'd watch out.

this article summarises a couple of these fears, better and more succinctly than i can.

i think a lot of people within the trans community seek an assertion that transsexualism has an entirely biological prenatal cause. that biological affirmation may help some people resolve their gender conflicts into scientific, logical terms, but it may undermine the concept of gender identity: that we have an innate and intrinsic sense of our gender that is defined neither by genitals nor genetics. and some feel so assured of their gender that no contradictory biological test could convince them otherwise; is a gene test actually necessary to decide something already founded in certainty for many people?

whilst some intently seek proof that gender is in our body and our genetics, others are happy to accept that our sense of gender resides within our minds - or soul, if you feel that way.

either is equally valid. but neither requires a test to provide answers; a test gives questions, only you can provide the answers.

i always end with something dumb like that...ugh, sorry...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 96 Guests (See full list)

• Mmindy
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • MAN8791
    • Ivy
    • Betty K
    • Petra Jane
    • Susie
    • awkward-yet-sweet
    • FelixThePickleMan