• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Study: Voter ID Laws Could Disenfranchise TG voters

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

The study identified nine states that have such laws, and other states are considering them.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/04/study-voter-id-laws-could-disenfranchise-25k-transgendered-voters.html

I haven't read the study itself, so I don't know where they got the 25,000 estimate.

Carolyn Marie

Guest LizMarie

The problem with that study is not voter id laws - it's transgender people who have not completed the legal steps to fully transition. I'm only just starting this and my therapist has reminded me twice already that I'll need to plan and execute legal paperwork for id changes. And she has a transgender lawyer right here in our city who assists with that and has assisted with that for over 30 years.

I compare that to the rampant voter fraud that has been documented against both parties (and it's pretty bad by both major parties), and I personally prefer voter ID laws. And my suggestion to transgender folks is that it's a necessary part of transitioning so make sure you plan for it and do it.

I'm not sure I feel a lot of sympathy for the 41 percent of transgender citizens who have transitioned who reported not having an updated driver’s license, or the 74 percent who did not have an updated U.S. passport, or the 27 percent of transgender citizens who reported that they had no identity documents or records that list their current gender. Whose responsibility is that?

I do understand the fear of transgenders being singled out and denied voting rights, but reporting that to the federal government will likely result in jail time for whomever does it at the local level. But arguing that we don't need voter id because some people don't keep their id up to date seems to be a bit backwards to me.

Voting is both a privilege and a responsibility. And voting should be done by those who qualify for it, not someone else voting as you, not voting for your dead aunt, etc. Voter id laws are one way to make sure that our votes really count versus those funny votes from the dead and from non-existent people.

What about all us Girls who don't want to change our IDs or gender marker (For legal reasons) The only thing i want to change is my name.

Guest LizMarie

Really all you need is up to date photo id. There's nothing that says your gender on your id has to be one or the other. Identification comes from matching the photo to the person presenting it.

Given the amount of voter fraud we have, what else can be done to eliminate voter fraud? It bothers me because every fraudulent vote waters down your vote and my vote, which are the ones that should count.

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 150 Guests (See full list)

• Mirrabooka
    • Cynthia Slowan
    • Charlize
    • MaybeRob
    • Petra Jane