• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Oral Estrogen: To swallow or not to swallow.

Guest Risu

Guest Jo-88

hi i dont take estradiol at all, im on premarin, and there gell coated and ive had amzing results all said and done

from an efficacy stand point Ive also heard that premarin is just as good as estradiol. However from a health stand point estradiol is going to win out, its chemically identical to the estradiol found in natal women and its also pure in consistency, premarin on the other hand is made from pregnant horse urine and contains Conjugated Equine Estrogens which is basically a mashup of a bunch of horse estrogens that cant even be used by the human body and then estrone which is a weaker estrogen than estradiol. But again from all that I've seen, the physical feminization is excellent with both of them... Although personally I would rather have something synthesized in a lab, a lot of people shy away from anything "synthetic" but thats just silly it may be synthetically created but its still chemically identical to the real thing. Anyway just my 2 cents :)

Guest TracieV3

Jodie, thank you for the information, I take a few of those medications you mentioned.

On a side note. Don't anyone know why the makers of estradiol added mint flavor to estradiol medication? It is not candy, do the makers expect a person's mouth to be minty fresh afterward.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JenMorse

A bit strange... My estrogen was perscribed to be taken sublingually, but the medicine's instructions just say to swallow. It dissolves quickly so I assume sublingual is fine. (Progynova)

Any questions about how you should take, or how much of your medication you should take, should be asked to a qualified physician. YOUR qualified physician.

Do not take advice on your life based on internet message board.

If you have questions on your medication, call your doctor!

Guest Jo-88

My estrogen was perscribed to be taken sublingually, but the medicine's instructions just say to swallow.

Same here, I think the instructions are fairly generic its just a print out from the pharmacies database but doesn't necessarily cover every specific to the drug, so for anything beyond those instructions just consult your doctor. The prescription bottle itself just says "take by mouth"... so I guess that covers sublingual. Nonetheless, Im just going do it the way the doc told me.

Guest Myria

Anything absorbed by your digestive tract goes through your liver before going out to your bloodstream, this is called the First Pass Effect. In the case of Estrogens, when the liver sees a spike in Estrogens it increases clotting factors. The general thought is this is some left over physiologic programming to protect mothers post-birth. Whatever the reason, this increase in clotting factors increases one's risk of a DVT/PE (Deep Vein Thrombosis which can cause a Pulmonary Embolism), which can potentially be catastrophic. A PE can cause an sudden MI and then it's game over, really something to be avoided where possible.

Mind you the actual level of risk is relatively low and the primary risk factor is genetic and can be tested for. Other risk factors include recent surgery or injury, certain drugs, chemotherapy (tends to make one hyper-coagulative), and such -- mostly non-factors in most people's lives. "Lifestyle" issues, whether or not you smoke and such, are a factor, but far less so than is often portrayed. Beyond that, due to hepatic recirculation, no method of taking estrogens avoids the problem entirely. Basically all women, including us, are at a higher risk of a DVT than men.

It's telling that IV Premarin is used in emergency rooms to induce clotting.

That having been said, the first pass effect is where the biggest spike occurs. Anything that avoids it reduces your risk somewhat. So sub-lingual, IM, and transdermal are all somewhat safer than straight oral. The other factor appears to be the type of estrogen. Straight up artificials, like ethynlestradiol (Diane-35, et al), seem to be the worst -- frankly I'd advise anyone to avoid EE like the plague. Premarin also has somewhat of an increased risk. The closer you get to endogenous-identical, which basically means either Estradiol Valerate or 17b-Estradiol, the better your body handles it. Why? Good question, likely because artificials like EE or non-human endogenous like Premarin are going to have a longer half-life, thus more hepatic recirculation. That's the best guess anyway.

The other thing you get by taking your estrogen sub-lingually is a higher dose entering your bloodstream. Absorption rates vary, depending on the individual and drug -- some drugs are as low as 20% -- but a fair bit of what you take orally never makes it into your bloodstream. While you inevitably end up swallowing some of the dose, sub-lingual means a whole lot higher percentage of it going straight into you bloodstream. On the flip side you end up with a reduced overall half-life, since it's absorbed all at once, and it's a bit easier to overdo things, especially if you add in other factors like regularly eating grapefruit.

Overall I'm not really sure it matters much. If you go sub-lingual you can get by with a somewhat reduced dose and you will have a somewhat lower risk -- albeit after a year or two I doubt it matters. If you're just starting out it's probably worth it to you, but after a few years... Meh.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend trying it with Premarin. Stuff takes forever to dissolve and tastes, well pretty much like you'd expect, given what it is. Also I wouldn't recommend trying it with Spiro. Spiro tastes horrid, has a pretty good absorption profile to begin with, and isn't something you want spiking in your bloodstream -- keep in mind that it's a potassium sparing diuretic, with a primary on-label use (albeit not used all that much anymore) as an anti-hypertensive. Its anti-androgenic properties are a secondary effect.

Honestly the best method is IM -- Progynon Depot 10/100, if they even still make that, or some other endogenous-identical. But few doctors want to go that route. Personally I've never been a huge fan of transdermal. Sure, it avoids the first pass effect, but I feel that properly titrating with it is a PITA at best. Oral is dominant because it's cheap, easy, and reasonably safe. Sub-lingual is doable for many of the more common drugs, and has its advantages.If you're taking Progynova, or something similar, it's definitely something to consider, but I wouldn't worry about it too much one way or the other.

IMHO, YMMV, and all that.

Myria

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 101 Guests (See full list)

• kristinabee
    • Ashley0616
    • missyjo
    • MaryEllen
    • Abigail Genevieve
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Aleksandria
    Newest Member
    Aleksandria

1. Aelia
      Aelia
      (22 years old)
    2. Just-Jenny-finally
      Just-Jenny-finally
      (65 years old)
    3. KelcieK
      KelcieK
      (50 years old)
    4. Krimson Kya
      Krimson Kya
      (35 years old)
    5. Robin
      Robin
      (56 years old)
    • missyjo
      69 years young dear  winks it's just a number..   transcend it n be fabulous  hugs
    • Lydia_R
    • Lydia_R
      Not to bump this up or anything, but I just want to put one more note on the end of this...   Thank you for allowing me to post this here and thank you for all who have responded.  This step has been a huge help to me on my political journey.  I've made several key decisions in the last few days that allow me to run a better campaign for the next 4 years.  I worked my way off of the streets 20 years ago by writing math and computer programming on paper.  10 years later I was able to buy a house with the software engineering work that I was doing.  Now 20 years after getting off of the streets and having two failed bids for US Representative and likely another failed bid in the next couple weeks, I've come to the point of selling my house to run a very frugal campaign for vice-president (it's a thing even though it is an appointed position) for the next 4 years, all on the money I have earned from that work I did on the streets.   My policy going forward is that I'm not going to ask for money and I'm not going to ask for people's votes.  The vice-presidency is an appointed position.  I'm also not going to run for legislative offices anymore.  I'm simply going to tour the country on my own dime looking for good people and a strong millennial female who sees my logic and would like to be president.   I have reached out to tens of thousands of people on my own dime in the last 7 years.  Famous people, ultra-famous people, business leaders, civil engineers, random people, news people, educators, unions, politicians.  I certainly got less than 5 emails from those efforts.  Actually, I only really remember one person.  He is an educator and we had a good Zoom meeting.   I'm not bitter.  I'm not complaining.  Those of you who have followed me on this site know I like to keep things positive and talk about cooking and living healthy.  I hope that this post doesn't get buried.  I think the title is strong and my message is clear.  I don't want to bog this site down with the details of the whole thing.  I simply want people to know that there is a transwoman working to be vice-president.  Notice that I didn't title this a-transwoman-as-us-respresentative.  My politics are executive level.  I'm a whistleblower, not a complainer.  I aim to educate and inspire.
    • MaryEllen
      Photos posted in the general forums are visible to anyone or anything. Photos in the gallery are visible only to members. non members cannot see them.
    • Betty K
      You’re welcome, Vidanjali. Now I have to actually start writing!
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Society is preserved by passing on proper roles for people, which works for the 90+ percent that it works for.   We were all taught from an early age that breaking out of the classification was a shameful thing, even when, actually, it is not. 
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I'm probably showing my age.  I haven't looked at a guest count in a long time.  Doing FB and staying off forums for a while.  Previous forum use had fewer bots if any and guests were actual people, mostly, unlike today.    Any AIs or bots struggling with GD are welcome.  I would love to read your introduction.
    • kristinabee
      I've seen this on a lot of forums tbh. That's how a lot of content ends up on internet archives. You've got loads of bots scanning the site at all times and archiving it. Forums are actually nice (in comparison to social media) in that the guest count gives you a pretty good idea of how actively the site's content is being archived. Basically just don't post anything you don't want archived.
    • MAN8791
      Kids are resiliant with therapy and strong support ;-)    They were all elementary age when their dad died and are teens now, and how they've grown and developed as young people, already, takes my breath away.   I'm working on communicating changes clearly and without shame, which is difficult basically all the time because of feeling guilty over doing gender "wrong" for so long. Working on that myself! <3 
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Allow me to add that people should think twice about posting pictures of themselves, with the facial recognition software that is out there.  Those in stealth or who are not fully out may discover they are suddenly and unwillingly fully out in ways they wish had not happened.
    • Charlize
      Funny how when i read the topic name i thought you were asking about the study of plants and animals.  I'm a bit into that as a farmer at va time when a cell phone makes plant  for insect identification easier than it has ever been.    Now on to your topic.  I don't farm in the nude.  I have wondered at whether i would skinny dip as i did as a kid without thought of how my body might affect others.  The effects of hormones makes me different from the average person and perhaps i'm "neither fish nor fowl".  I would certainly depend on who my fellow passengers on that cruise would be.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Abigail Genevieve
      This is also a relatively small forum and it can take a long time, seemingly, for someone to get around to replying to a post. 
    • Charlize
      I am also pretty sure that several of them are folks who are "trans curious".  Sometimes folks who are trying to find their own identity, are attracted to trans folks or who are simply interested in the trans community.   There may also be some who wish to do us harm which is why ......... I've just learned to smile figuring "i'm on candid camera".   I'm sure many of our younger members never experienced that show so my age is showing.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Adrianna Danielle
      He deserves it,is a disgrace
    • MaryEllen
      Most of those "guests" are web bots from China, Indonesia, France etc. looking us over. They are mostly benign.  All they can see or gain access to are the general forums.  Members should be careful not to post anything that could readily identify themselves such as real names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. They do not have access to our gallery, blogs or private messenger. They seem to haunt all forums. Not just us. I should add that they can make us known across the internet. That's how prospective members find us. Google would be a good example.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.